Installing RAM on 32bit windows xp media center edition

durablion

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Hi, I'm new to the whole memory installation. I took out the old and put in the new*ocz pc6400 ddr2800 sli edition* My motherboard is an nforce 680i sli. There are 4 slots for memory.
The 1st and 3rd slots are outlined in blue and the 2nd and 4th are black. I bought 2x2048gb. I understand that I won't get the full 4 gigs out of a 32 bit operating system but here's the dilemma. First I installed the memory in the 1st and 3rd slots (being they are both outlined in blue I assumed this would be the way the pc would read it as a pair.) So I did the memory check and it reads 2.5gb. So, I redid it again this time changing places with the 3rd slot to the 2nd one. It still reads 2.5gb. Is this correct? Also being I'm getting the same reading, is the RAM placed in the correct slots or should I change it back to the 1st and 3rd slots rather than 1 and 2.

Regarding which slots: 1 and 3, 2 and 4.

Regarding the 2.5GB - It's an address space limitation. The more devices you are running, the less address space available for RAM. There is no "guarantee" you'll see 3GB or however much you expected.

durablion

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Ok that's pretty much what i've read so far. The vid cards are nvidia 8600 gts x2. So 256 each would only be 512. Thx for the responses guys, appreciate the help.