Getting error "...missing or currupt: Windowssystem32confi..

Ismael

Hello everyone,

I getting the following error message:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the
original Setup CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

I have lost my original copy of my WinXP home edition CD but fortunately I
made a backup copy onto a CDRW. Can I use this backup copy to fix the above
error message? Would re-formatting the hard drive and re-installing be the
better option if I don't have any important data on the hard drive? I could
always use a bootable floppy disk to access drive C: or remove the hard
drive altogether and install it in another computer to access drive C: thus
being able to copy what data I would need.

Thanks to all who reply,

Ismael

"Ismael" <I_Tena@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
>\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
>You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the
>original Setup CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.
>
>I have lost my original copy of my WinXP home edition CD but fortunately I
>made a backup copy onto a CDRW. Can I use this backup copy to fix the above
>error message?

Yes. See "How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545).

--
(tm)