Sign in with
Your question

CPU cooler vs. Overall airflow

Last response: in Overclocking
April 5, 2010 2:51:46 AM

Hi guys,
I'm getting ready to build up my i5-750 and I am just wanting some opinions. I was thinking of buying an aftermarket cooler then I thought, how would the stock unit do if I just had better case airflow?

My case is a Thermaltake V3 Black edition. I plan to have one intake on the front panel, two on the bottom of the case(power supply is one), and 3 exhaust(2 on top 1 on the back). There is also a grate on the side panel that could possibly hold another fan depending on how my graphics card will fit. Odds are they will mostly be 120's.

If I did buy an aftermarket cooler I would want the fan on it blowing up, if there are any suggestions. It may be overclocked in the future not much more than 3.0Ghz though.

More about : cpu cooler airflow

April 5, 2010 3:34:31 AM

You can probably OC up to 3.2-3.3ghz with the stock cooler. If your room is not air conditioned I would recommend an aftermarket heatsink. If your not trying to spend top dollar for a heatsink take a look at the hyper 212+. If you search google products you can find it for $30 shipped, and I saw it for $25 shipped a few days ago. IMO it is the best price/performance heatsink for the 1156 socket cpus.

If cost isn't a concern I would recommend the Venomous X, which is the newer version of my heatsink the Thermalright 120 extreme.
That heatsink should be good for 3.6-3.8ghz with the single fan, and it comes with the brackets for 2 fans.

Btw you want the fan blowing towards the back of the case so the hot air gets pushed out by your exhaust fan.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 5, 2010 6:01:46 AM

Gamers and enthusiasts who overclock their systems usually install a third party cpu heatsink.

Here is a link to a recent Tom's Hardware article with useful information about 10 popular cpu heatsinks:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lga-1156-heatsink,2...

I know the article states Intel LGA 1156 heatsinks but just about all of them are also compatible with Intel LGA 1366 cpu's

Here is a link to a very good web site with more useful information about cpu heatsinks that will help you make an informed decision:

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

You can use the Google embedded search feature at the web site to find more information about heatsinks for specific cpu sockets.
m
l
Related resources
a c 121 K Overclocking
April 5, 2010 4:52:06 PM

An oem cooler will do a better job of transferring heat from the cpu die to the cooler. It will usually have a largish(120mm) fan that is more efficient at transferring heat from the cooler to the case. Because of the better efficiency, you can overclock higher and easier. Good case airflow is still required. A 120mm cooler fan will also run quieter, particularly under load.

Almost any good cooler will do. There is no need to get an expensive one unless you are reaching for a maximum overclock.
m
l
April 12, 2010 12:51:25 AM

Thanks for the replys guys. I'm glad someone brought up the hyper 212+ I think thats the one I'm going to get just to make sure I'm equipped in case I get the random urge to overclock it. It seems to have extremely good value for what it brings to the table.
m
l
!