[Please HELP] Building a $800 gaming PC! Are these parts GOOD?

jl0329

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Hello everyone, I am trying a build a budget new desktop PC. This is my first time, so I am going to need all the help I can get :)

Let me thank you guys in advance for helping me out!

Thank you very much!

My budget for this PC is under $800 (Not including Moniter/Mouse/Keyboard)

My primary use for it is gaming, and I do want to do moderate Overclock on it.

I know there are countless choices for a new PC, so I decided to make things a little bit easier by nailing down the CPU first. Here are some parts that I already decided, let me list them first.

CPU: $179.99

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Quad-Core Processor, 2.40 GHz, 8M L2 Cache, LGA 775

I’ve decided to build a gaming PC around this processor and I intend to overclock it to 2.8 GHz – 3.0 GHz if possible.

Video Card: $259.99

EVGA 896-P3-1267-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card – Retail

Actually this is still subject to change. However, I do prefer the Nvidia over the ATI series.

Hard Drive: $99.99

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1TB Hard Drive - 7200RPM, 32MB, SATA-300, OEM

One thing I am not sure is that it says this OEM version comes WITH OUT any cable. Do I need to purchase any cables for it? Or are they included in the case/motherboard? (Sorry for being such a newbie :( )

Case

I was going to get the Antec Nine Hundred Case at Newegg, but it's SOLD OUT already!!

So I am going to need a new one. My preference for case is simple. Good airflow, friendly installation, fairly priced. I really don't care about the LOOK, lol. Any good suggestion?

Now, I really need help on the parts below which includes MB, Memory and Power Supply.

Mother Board:

This is what bothers me most. I have NO IDEA which mother board I should go to fit Intel Core 2 Quad, and I know the quality of mother board is critical for overclocking. I don't know which brand/model is good for overclocking. PLEASE give me detailed advice/links for this one. Thank you so much! (Keep in mind that I'd like to overclock the quad core)

*Update* I am getting the Gigabyte P45 MoBo, will it work ?

Memory

I am planning to get 4GB of RAM. Again, I don't know which exact one should I get to match with my CPU/MB/Overclock. Which brand is known for good overclocking ability?

Power Supply

OK, I keep seeing people say how important the PSU is to the point that I am sacred to pick one myself. (I am a newbie) Based on my previous parts and budget, any good suggestions? Any combo with case is fine too.

The Last Part

Cooling $49 Updated

Since I am planning to overclock it, I suppose I need a decent CPU fan. I need one that matches socket 775 (for my Q6600 right?)

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm

This one is what I have in mind, but I am not sure if it is good enough or if there is anything better with the given price. Help me out on this :)

** Additional Overclock Cooling Aid ? **

Am I good to go with a decent CPU cooling fan? or Do I need to purchase extra fan?

To sum up, I am trying to build a gaming PC that cost around $800. I am planning to overclock it and need major help to pick MB, Memory, PSU/Case/CPU FAN. LOL! (I know that's a long list, but I am a first timer )

I know this forum is filled with such posts asking for help, and I did look over quite a few posts about building a PC. Bottom line, I am a total newbie at building PC. I really need all the help I can get, and this forum looks like a FANTASTIC place for getting help because the people here are experts and friendly.

Thank you again for reading this (I know it's noobish and long) , and thank you in advance for advising me!! (ANY advise will be welcomed!)

Have a great day!!

jl0329

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008

Can you give me a link on these? and which brand should i go for?

Thanks!

yoshi77

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
I really wouldnt bother with normal quad cores at this point, either go for a dual core or an i7, but to each his own.

as for GPU id strongly suggest: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102770

its about 85% as good as the card you've got there, almost $100 cheaper. Put two of these in crossfire and you've got just about the 3rd or 4th best gpu power for about $300, verses $500 or up to $1000 for better options.

They also generate alot less heat

PSU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005
plenty of voltage, dosnt waste electricity, supports SLI/Crossfire, pretty much you're staple PSU right now if you're not getting a combo deal or something

RAM:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231209
I dont think you'll really need to OC RAM, but 4gigs @ 4-4-4-12 1.8-1.9 volts is just about the best you're gonna get without dropping hundreds of $ into RAM. Good heat spreaders too

according to egg reviews, its a great overclocker, although customer reviews arent exactly rocksolid sources of info

MoBo:
now heres where I dont have much knowledge
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128358
thats the board ive been recommended from toms here and ive run it by them a couple times now, im sure someone wouldve yelled OMG THAT DOESNT WORK NUB if there was something terribly wrong with it

also great overclocker

Case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021&Tpk=antec%20900
They're not sold out at newegg. Maybe they are and it just didnt update the page, if not, get a antec
300:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042&Tpk=antec%20300

You can still build a good system using the Q6600. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise. I'm building a machine around one now. Cheap as can be and can play anything thrown at it. I myself would like the new stuff ( i7 ) but it won't "over perform" what i have now...not for gaming.

The Butterfly cooler you selected got really bad reviews compared to others. Do some homework on that.

The video card....... fine the way it was. Don't "dumb" it down to a 4850........ stupid people!

Memory.... crucial ballistix is very good and you should be able to find it a a decent price.

Sorry to hear about the case. Got mine last night.....lol

Build in process........ evga 750FTW/Q6600/memory mentioned or 8gig of something else...haven't decided yet/ 2 XFX GTX260's. Not sure about opsys yet. Probably Vista for the DX10. Have it on a machine now and if it weren't for the graphics I wouldn't buy it again!

jl0329

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Thank you so much for all the responses!

Now I think I know which MEM to get. However, I am still not sure which MoBo works best for mine system, please enlighten me more on this! Also, 650W PSU is definitely enough even for overclocking right?

Tech-Boy

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
Get a P45 mobo if you don't plan on going sli any time soon (the 650W PSU is not going to be enough for sli).
If not get the 780i EVGA.
Look into the NZXT Tempest Case at new egg

Other than that looks like a good build.

jl0329

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Ok, I guess I will get the Gigabyte P45 Mobo.

And is the ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm good enough for my purpose? (moderate overclock)

I really like the NZXT Tempest Case.

Still not sure which PSU brand should i go with

yoshi77

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008

Best not be dissin the 4850

as for case, they had a great deal on the antec 900 and just ran out. You're safest bet is probably the antec 300 or search around for any other cases that have gone on sale

corsair psu's are one of the best brands, I know theres a few others, but try to stay away from rosewill at the very least

The p45 is pretty much you're all around safe-bet MoBo, cant really go wrong

On a sidenote, I ordered $700 worth of computer parts for my new build from newegg and today they sent me an email saying they shipped the case (antec 900 :)) but nothing else, do they do that alot?

pvtevan99

Honorable
Aug 3, 2013
I'd suggest this, this is my current PC. dont really need to overclock it right away since the card is superclocked. so buy a water cooler later. use stock heatsink that comes with it. great build. runs minecraft 300 fps max w/ fraps. splinter cell:Blacklist never drops below 50 fps while recording and crysis runs around 45 fps while recording. all on high

CPU:AMD FD8350FRHKBOX FX-8350 FX-Series 8-Core Black Edition ($194.67 @ Amazon)

Motherboard:GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard ($133.99 @ Amazon)

PSU:Corsair CX750 Builder Series ATX 80 PLUS Bronze Certified Power Supply ($88.24 @ Amazon)

Graphics Card:EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2762-KR GeForce GTX 760 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card ($259.99 @ Amazon)

RAM:Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) CL9 @1.5V UDIMM 240-Pin Memory BLS2CP4G3D1609DS1S00 ($66.18 @ Amazon)

Case:RAIDMAX Seiran ATX-902WR Red Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ($64.99 @ Amazon)

Total: $808.06

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

It does leave out a hard drive, an optical drive, and a cooler if he wants to overclock. He should probably go with a solid 550 watt like the XFX for $25 less and free up some additional $ and go with a 6350 to get back under budget if he really wants to stay under $800.

Though the most serious issue is that most of these parts were unavailable in 2008, when the question was asked, and it seems likely that the original poster has resolved his question at some point in the intervening 5 years!