RustyDogma

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
I'm having a problem in a specific game (World of Warcraft) with my CPU throttling. At certain specific points in the game, my core #0 reaches 100% use and throttles, dropping my FPS to 1-2. The problem is, I've tested everything I can think of and cannot track down the hardware problem and am looking for more ideas.

■My normal CPU-Z report.
■My CPU-Z report at specific high graphic/population areas of the game.

Here's what I've done so far:
Prime95 - I have run Prime95 for 24 hours with no errors.
PassMark BurnIn - ran both full tests, and heat specific tests... no errors and no throttling while at 100% load on both cores
SpeedFan - reports ~10°C difference in temp between the two cores when idle (which according to this post is not unusual), but neither is going over ~34°C. When running Prime95, temps are moving to ~38°C on core#0, and about ~1°C lower to ~37°C on core#1.

Things I've double-checked as true:
Intel SpeedStep® - Disabled
BIOS - Current

I am looking for possible tests to run, other hardware that could be causing this, any possibility of software causes, not just hardware, just any ideas to track down a resolution to this (other than replacing parts I am not convinced are faulty).

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Try Speedfan and monitor core temp, that may be going higher due to loose heat sink, Does it stay at x9 when running Prime95 on both cores?

Mike.

RustyDogma

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Aye, when running Prime95 it stays at 2999-3.0 and x9. The only time I had the multiplier drop is in idle states (disabled SpeedStep for testing purposes to resolve this), and in this one game.

Using SpeedFan, I'm showing a ~10°C difference in temp between the two cores when idle (which according to this post is not unusual), but neither is going over ~34°C. When running Prime95, temps are moving to ~38°C on core#0, and about ~1°C lower to 37°C on core#1.

RustyDogma

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
I have over-clocked my CPU to 3.6, to see if I can force any heat errors... so far... no issues running Prime95... will run a full 24 hour test, and report results.

RustyDogma

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
In the process of the over-clock was monitoring my husband's computer... he is also getting the same CPU throttling/drop in WoW and no where else.

So not over heating, same processor, same motherboard (both Nvidia 780i), 2 different GPUs, both Nvidia. Now we're both getting higher fps from the overclock, but still experiencing a drop in crowded areas of the game. Mine is dropping me to unplayable fps, his is disconnecting him.

Is it possible that the game itself could be causing this? A conflict between CPU & GPU? Network related?