Sound isolation

dzeric

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
I have recently built my new gaming pc and am having a little trouble with the noise it is producing. After tweaking each of the fan speeds I have found the noise is primarily is the power supply, I went with the PC Power and Cooling 1200w. The power supply is definitely overkill for my current pc, but I wanted a power supply I could use for future builds without worry. This is not an abnormal type of loud (not defective) but still, it is bothersome.
My question is: would it be possible to put a gaming computer in a separate room from the desk/monitor by using long (15-20ft) dvi and usb cords for my I/O? It seems like there would be latency problems by doing this and I wanted some advice. If there is another solution for this (other than buying another power supply) I'd appreciate it.
Thank you!

dallasjoh

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
USB works up to 15' because longer cable might reduce the Voltage/Amperage to a none functioning level.

DVI-D is 9.6 meter by spec (30 ish feet, most cable manufacturers don't make them longer than 25 feet)

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
If the longest cables you can obtain are long enough to keep everything connected with this setup, you should be fine. Within spec (I doubt you'll be able to buy anything out of spec) you shouldn't have a problem with latency. You might try drilling a hole in the wall between you and the system and running the cables through it. Now THAT's a mod!