Graphic card problem

Drew1962

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2008
Hey gang, I'm lost and so is BFG so I am reaching out to you for some possible answers.

New Build:

Asus P6T MOB latest bios 804
I7 920 2.66
Corsair Domminator DDR3 6 gig
Theramtake 850 PS Black Widow
Vista 64 bit SP1
nvida 6800 256 (Just to get the system up and running) latest firmware.

Everything works perfectly,

Enter new Video card BFG Nvida Geforce 260 GTX Factory OC 896 MB GDDR3

Installed per directions, and I get nothing! tried every combination for the power supply.

The fan on card spins up and the card gets hot so it is receiving power but still no signal to monitor

Dell 24" VGA, DVI, HDMI using the DVI connections. DVI auto selected by the monitor.

Returned card to vendor thought it was DOA, tried second card identical to the first, and same thing happened again.

UGHHHHHHHHHH!

What am I missing?

BFG told me 2% of their cards are defective, and two have two cards be bad in less than a week quote " I should buy a lottery ticket" They had no help on this matter.

So I am reaching out to you, any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Oh and yes I did try other PCI slots.

Do you have a VGA cable? I would hook up the VGA cable and see if a signal to monitor showed up. In fact, I would leave the DVI cable connected when you run the VGA cable, leave both cables connected. It sounds like the 260 GTX is powering up, but there is no signal to the monitor. Try VGA setting on the monitor. Maybe the monitor input selection is the problem. Also with the 6800, you might try a different (lesser) screen resolution setting, shut down and install the 260GTX. Also, which driver are you using for the 6800? If you have a driver for that card installed, uninstall it before you install the 260GTX. Just my thoughts.

The only information I could find on the power supply is that it's a Best Buy product. I wouldn't buy anything that's critically important to my pc from Best Buy. I couldn't find any specs on it either. I'd have to assume it's Thermaltakes "cheap" line of power supplies.

that doesn't nessessarily mean it isn't any good but ..............

What are the specs on the supply itself ?

You may try booting into windows with the 6800, then install the 260GTX video driver from the installation CD (this driver is tested and known to work properly). Then shut down and install the 260GTX and boot up into the newly installed 260GTx driver.

Drew1962

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2008
Thanks guys, I will try the lower res. and pull the driver first, The power supply has always been suspicious, that will be my second place to look.

Drew1962

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2008
Well Badge, took your idea of lowering the rez and installing the drivers first.
Reboot with the new card and low and behold I have an active video card.
Everything is working as advertised. So thank you. I am still going to look into the power supply. Thanks again.