Your question

Question on AM2+ and AM3 motherboards

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Motherboards
Last response: in CPUs
February 20, 2009 7:58:08 PM

Hey guys (first post)

I recently purchased a phenom II 720 BE; I know that its both compatible with AM2+ and AM3 motherboards; however I'm lead to believe that I can only use these on a AM2+ board if flash the bios.

My issue is that this is a completely new build, and my previous processor was a 1st gen core 2 duo. From what I heard the AM2+ boards can't even recognize the AM3 processor without the bios upgrade, preventing from even applying the upgrade in the first place.

Is this true; and if it is there a work around

Thanks

More about : question am2 am3 motherboards

February 20, 2009 8:01:37 PM

you'll have to ask the motherboard manufacture if they can preinstal a BIOS update on the board.
February 20, 2009 8:31:20 PM

watercrest said:
Hey guys (first post)

I recently purchased a phenom II 720 BE; I know that its both compatible with AM2+ and AM3 motherboards; however I'm lead to believe that I can only use these on a AM2+ board if flash the bios.

My issue is that this is a completely new build, and my previous processor was a 1st gen core 2 duo. From what I heard the AM2+ boards can't even recognize the AM3 processor without the bios upgrade, preventing from even applying the upgrade in the first place.

Is this true; and if it is there a work around

Thanks

It depends. A board with an older bios might not recongnize it in a sense that it works fine but just doesn't list the CPU's name right if you try to check system info. In this case you're perfectly OK, you can flash the BIOS or even leave it as it is.

Some boards with an older bios might not work with a Phenom II CPU at all. After you turn the power on you just get a black screen, like the CPU wasn't even there. In that case you should temporarily replace your Ph2 with an older AA2+ Phenom or Athlon and flash the bios that way. If the board is new, the store should do this for you or you should pick a store that sells the boards with up to date bios versions.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
February 20, 2009 8:40:28 PM

Go to ASUS.COM find your mobo there should be a cpu compatibility file available either online or to download...:) 
February 20, 2009 11:26:31 PM

Thanks guys I really appreciate it.

I could just pick up an AM3 board and avoid this trouble altogether, but I'm not 100% sold on ddr3 ram right now. :lol: 
!