Sign in with
Your question

High Temps During Normal Op and OC

Last response: in Overclocking
April 5, 2010 6:40:50 AM

I can't seem to get my temperatures down.

I'm running a MBOX 955 BE (C3), I left it at stock multiplier and lowered the voltage to 1.325. Im still getting pretty warm Core readings with 0% CPU activity.

I have an aftermarket HSF it's the ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm. It says it's compatible with AM2/AM2+/AM3 sockets. But some people in the newegg.com customer reviews have stated that it is inadequate for 4 cores, and its actually designed for only 2 core processors.

So attached are my temps at Idle,

This is at only 1.33v vCore1. For me, for a C3 stepping which is supposed to run cooler, this is unacceptable.

My case is an Antec 1200, so I have PLENTY of airflow. Do I need a new HSF? I was contemplating getting a h50, but it irritates me to buy another, just 6 months after I bought the ARCTIC COOLING.

Also when I attempted some overclocks, my temps would soar. I can get 3.4-3.5Ghz with a 1.375 vCore, but when I tried a 3.8GHz with a 1.400 vCore, my temp was 63C after only 30 minutes on Prime95.

Also I am using Arctic Silver 5, and I spread it very evenly, and used a razor to trim off excess.

I used the same technique on a build I did for my friend. He got a Phenom IIx2 550 BE and I used AS5 with his stock HSF and his temps are significantly lower. So from what I can tell, I do know how to apply the thermal paste correctly.

More about : high temps normal

a b K Overclocking
April 5, 2010 2:17:21 PM

I would normally ask if you had the HS/F seated properly, but it seems like you know what you're doing. Also, the ACF7P is a decent HS/F and can handle 4 core cooling. Another thing to try is the stock HS/F to see fi you are having the same relative issue...
m
l
April 5, 2010 7:24:48 PM

I dont seem to be getting alot of replies. Perhaps this is in the wrong forum?
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
April 5, 2010 7:57:40 PM

Have you tried the stock HS/F to see if it still happens?
m
l
April 5, 2010 8:18:42 PM

At work currently, was hoping to see more conversation before I went home :/ 
m
l
April 6, 2010 3:01:33 AM

jonpaul37 said:
Have you tried the stock HS/F to see if it still happens?

So now I installed the stock HSF, added the aditional 120mm fan in the Antec 1200 behind one of the HDD cages.

Ambient temp is 26-27C. HDD0 on Speedfan is my Intel SSD, so it has very little heat, so that would be pretty close to Ambient. Especially considering its sitting right in front of a 120mm intake fan. My temps are at about 40-43C. This is at 1.325 vCore, so Ive lowered voltage and still have pretty high temp imo

I just dont get it. The Antec 1200 Case has ALOT of airflow.

See attached pic for info

m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 6, 2010 1:30:24 PM

The Antec 1200 has plenty of airflow. So, now, what are the temps at Idle and load with the stock compared to the temps at Idle and load with the ACF7P?

Post it as follows:

Stock

Idle Load
Core 0:
Core 1:
Core 2:
Core 3:

ACF7P

Idle Load
Core 0:
Core 1:
Core 2:
Core 3:
m
l
April 7, 2010 12:20:38 AM

jonpaul37 said:
The Antec 1200 has plenty of airflow. So, now, what are the temps at Idle and load with the stock compared to the temps at Idle and load with the ACF7P?

Post it as follows:

Stock

Idle Load
Core 0: 41 55
Core 1: 41 55
Core 2: 40 55
Core 3: 41 55

ACF7P

Idle Load
Core 0: 40 58
Core 1: 40 58
Core 2: 39 57
Core 3: 40 57

m
l
April 7, 2010 3:59:12 AM

I have seen a lot of reviews re: the ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro and they were not all that great, so I went with the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus and used the included bracket to add a second 12CM fan.

According to reviews on this site, and others like www.frostytech.com this cant be beat and is roughly same or lower price than the Arctic cooler. My Phenom II 965 BE runs as low as 28C idle and full load is no higher that 48C.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 7, 2010 1:15:49 PM

Ok, so those temps are well within respectable boundaries. Is this at stock CPU speed or is it overclocked?

weird that i see the stock cooler offers better temps @ load, it is usually reverse, the arctic should offer better load temps...

m
l
April 7, 2010 3:33:20 PM

Your temps with the stock cooler look fine - However the load temps with the arctic cooling freezer pro are horrendous when compared, in fact almost unbelievable as the stock cooler shouldn't be able to compete with the 7's heatpipe construction. Could there be a fault in the cooler itself - i. e. blocked heatpipes (there is liqid/vapor in them: http://hi-techreviews.com/index.php/review-links-mainme...

It might be that ~50*C at load is all the 7 can muster though for a quad as it performs similarly when tested with a Q9550:
http://www.arctic-cooling.com/catalog/images/spec_sheet...

I would second the recommendation of the 212 Hyper +, from what I have seen it looks very good for the price. I've got a tuniq 120 extreme but it is pretty big and bulky so that might not be what you're after although it definitely keeps the CPU chilly.
m
l
April 8, 2010 12:11:52 AM

nerrawg said:
Your temps with the stock cooler look fine - However the load temps with the arctic cooling freezer pro are horrendous when compared, in fact almost unbelievable as the stock cooler shouldn't be able to compete with the 7's heatpipe construction. Could there be a fault in the cooler itself - i. e. blocked heatpipes (there is liqid/vapor in them: http://hi-techreviews.com/index.php/review-links-mainme...

It might be that ~50*C at load is all the 7 can muster though for a quad as it performs similarly when tested with a Q9550:
http://www.arctic-cooling.com/catalog/images/spec_sheet...

I would second the recommendation of the 212 Hyper +, from what I have seen it looks very good for the price. I've got a tuniq 120 extreme but it is pretty big and bulky so that might not be what you're after although it definitely keeps the CPU chilly.

Im seriously considering buying a Corsair h50.

It just frustrates me to buy an aftermarket HSF that performs the same as a stock HSF.

Im leery of buying yet another, especially for 80 dollars.
m
l
April 12, 2010 5:17:23 PM

I replaced my HSF with an H50, brought my idle temps down to 33C and my max temps to 40C

Currently OC'd to 3.8 Ghz with a 35C Idle and 45C max.

So thats a 5C drop @ idle/max with a 600 MHz OC.

I love my H50!
m
l
!