Hard Drive

D

Deleted member 3023

What would be better/safer?

1. Use a 500GB SATA HD, install 7 & create a data-only (music, videos, pictures) partition.
2. Use a 500GB SATA HD, install 7 & use a 2nd smaller HD just for data (music, videos, pictures), no OS what-so-ever.

I don't know much about partitions; if I do go that route, here's my question. Will the data portion of the partition be considered seperate from the OS portion? If the OS portion ever comes-up w/a problem, could it "bleed" into the data partition?

2. is better, but use the smaller HDD for the OS, and larger one for the data. If you create a data partition on the HDD with another partition for the OS, be sure each partition is a primary, and not a logical partition. If you create a logical data partition and the OS fails and has to be re-installed, that process will format and overwrite the logical data partition.

Why not get an external hard drive for non installation stuffs like picture, music, movies and videos.!! That way you get to carry it to your friends place too for transferring any contents.. Internally you can keep one hard drive then which you can use for OS and apps as one single drive without a partition.. You may keep another internal drive and make it RAID 1 format which gives you backup also in case the primary disk fails due to any reasons.. Nowadays almost all HDTV's, Dvd players etc support USB read in which case you can use your external drive to view content over your TV also..

D

Deleted member 3023

I was thinking #2 as well, but I didn't even think about the external solution. I do have 1 that I rarely use, so I think what I'll try is to use an internal 500GB SATA for the OS & my 500GB external for data-only (pictures, music, movies, TV & videos). I don't want to go the RAID route b/c I don't know how to configure/use it & I just want to keep things simple for other family members.

Question I should understand the answer to, but don't; why is it that when I formated my external it shows 465GB (499,986,231,296 bytes) free & 105MB (110,759,936 bytes) used?

above

D

Deleted member 3023

Sorry. Not sure why link won't work, but it's supposed to lead to MicroCenter.com & a comparison between these:

1. Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 7,200RPM 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM ($69.99)
2. Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7,200RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM ($49.99)

I'd place a pic of the comparison, but not sure how to do that. Price not a concern, just want the one which is reliable & performs well.

D

Deleted member 3023

Thanks for all the help. I wound up getting the Blue OEM, Black was out of stock.

Another Q b/c I lost the link I had. How do I install my 7 Upgrade Disk to the new drive? I believe it has something to do w/editing the registry AFTER install is complete.

You are welcome. The Blue should be fine.

Installing Win7 upgrade: You can do a clean install on your new HDD. Set your BIOS to boot from the CD/DVDRW, insert the DVD, let the computer boot to the installation screen, and choose Custom Install. If I remember correctly, you can choose the 32-bit or the 64-bit version at that point.

You shouldn't have to edit the registry at all. If you are upgrading a beta version there is a way to do it (use google). All the beta versions were Win 7 Ultimate (x86 and x64), you have to have the Win7 Ultimate upgrade disk for the version you installed.

Enjoy your new build.

D

Deleted member 3023

The new drive is bare & has never been used.

I read somewhere that I just boot from the 7 upgrade disk, do a custom install & when asked for the code, don't enter it & continue to install. After all is installed, reboot from disk again & go through the install, entering the code this time around & all should be good & validate/register no prob. This sound right?

D

Deleted member 3023

Thanks for all the help, I'm hoping to get this done w/in the week. I'll post again w/the result once all is done.

D

Deleted member 3023

So Thursday I took the plunge. After taking out the old HD & putting in the new 1, I booted from the 7 Disc & did a Custom install w/o entering the code. Rebooted through 7 Disc & choose Custom again, this time entering code & once all was done installing, rebooted & it activated no problem.

Had 1 short scare at 1st. New SATA drive has a different way of attaching, but all seems fine.
Also, I needed to go into Comfuser Management to change the drive letter of my external drive. In there I see:
C: - 465.66GB - 442.26GB free space
System Reserved - 100MB - 72MB free space
WD Passport - 465.75GB - 447.37GB free space

What is this System Reserved? Can I delete this?
I also have a folder: Windows.old in my C:\, can I delete this?

D

Deleted member 3023

I found out how to delete the Windows.old folder & recuperate that much space, but still don't know if I can/how to remove System Reserved.

Also, how do I go about:
1. Printing a directory listing of my Fonts folder
2. Safely deleting all Fonts (that Windows itself does not use) that I most likely will never use?

The fonts should be in: C:\WINDOWS\Fonts
I would print using Alt+PrtScn to take a picture of the window, then paste it into Word or some other word-processing software - take as many screenshots as you need to get them all - then print the doc. All the fonts in that folder are compatible with windows; they do not take much diskspace, I would leave them. But, you can delete any fonts you want, but you won't able to use those you delete.
You said you wanted to remove System Reserved. I don't have that one, I do have System Volume Information. You cannot access or delete it, as far as I know.

D

Deleted member 3023

I contacted Microsoft through Chat & this is the transcript:

S-RaymondB: I see from the case notes that you are asking about the 100MB partition labeled as System reserved, is that correct?
C W: Correct. What is this & can I remove it? Never had this on my Vista/XP/etc. machines.
S-RaymondB: The 100MB partition was created by 7 & contains boot files.
S-RaymondB: We do not recommend removing it because your computer will not boot up without it.
C W: This new to 7? Wasn't ever on any previouse Win. versions I've had.
S-RaymondB: This is Windows 7's way of protecting the system files from possible malicious software infections.
S-RaymondB: Yes, this is new to 7.
S-RaymondB: Do you have further questions about the 100 MB System Reserved partition?
C W: Another Q; I want to delete some of the fonts in C:\Windows\Fonts folder I will never use but want to also make sure I do not delete any the system itself uses, how do I go about this? How do I find out which are manditory for 7 to run properly?
C W: Thank you for the System Reserved answer.
S-RaymondB: Please be informed that we do not recommend deleting fonts that came with Windows 7.
S-RaymondB: Especially the ones that are being used by Windows 7.
S-RaymondB: Typically the fonts that are not in use & safe to delete are the default fonts set to Hide in the Details Pane & the fonts installed by you.
C W: So one like Aparajita (which I doubt I will ever have a use for) that show as Hidden can safely be deleted? One's like this seem to be in a language I can't read & talk.
S-RaymondB: Yes, you may try to delete that.
S-RaymondB: How was it?
C W: So I understand correctly: the ones in the Fonts folder that are listed as Hide, can be safely deleted & they are not used w/in 7 for anything at the moment (like Account screens, etc.).
S-RaymondB: Yes, that's correct.
C W: Thank you for the help & have a great day.
S-RaymondB: You are welcome.
S-RaymondB: Thank you for choosing Microsoft. Have a Great Day!
C W: Thanks, bye.
S-RaymondB: Good bye.
S-RaymondB has left this session!
The session has ended!

So System Reserved HAS to stay, but certain fonts can (& will) be deleted.

D

Deleted member 3023

Going to contact them again. A few deleted w/o problem, but others won't budge; even when typing in my Admin. password (while using my Standard Account) as well as using my Admin. Account itself. I don't get the "Trusted Installer" warning as when I deleted some screen savers, so I don't get why they wont delete. I was told the ones I do want to delete are listed as 'hide' & are not used w/in the OS itself.

D

Deleted member 3023

Update:
I was able to delete many of the fonts (listed as Hidden) that 7 does not use itself. Only delete the ones that are listed as Hidden!

Just going into the C:\Windows\Fonts folder & deleting did work, but just for a few of them.
For the others I had to open the Registry to: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts & delete any unwanted (Hidden) fonts. If running 64Bit, may also need to navigate to: HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts.

Did this just yesturday, but so far no problems & I don't expect any; but always expect the unexpected!