I cannot launch executable files. When I try I get a dialo..

I cannot launch executable files. When I try I get a dialogue bos saying
that XP does not know what to do with .exe files. It offers the option of
selecting a program to open the file or going to the nternet to find a
program. How do I fix this.

TIA
JS

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 07:18:36 -0700, John Smith wrote:

> I cannot launch executable files. When I try I get a dialogue bos saying
> that XP does not know what to do with .exe files. It offers the option of
> selecting a program to open the file or going to the nternet to find a
> program. How do I fix this.
>
> TIA
> JS

MVP Doug Knox has a fix for the EXE file association here:

Windows® XP File Association Fixes

Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Did this only start happening recently? Try using System Restore:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306084

You should also perform a virus and spyware scan.

For a virus scan, see:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/windowsxp/antivirus.asp

Some of the companies that provide Spyware or Adware removal programs
include:
- Javacool Software - For more information, visit the Javacool Web site
at: http://www.wilderssecurity.net/specialinfo/rapidblaster.html
- Lavasoft - For more information, visit the Lavasoft Web site at:
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
- Pest Patrol - For more information, visit the Pest Patrol Web site
at: http://www.pestpatrol.com/
- Spybot - For more information, visit the Spybot Web site
at: http://www.safer-networking.org/

The third-party products discussed here are manufactured by companies that
are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or
otherwise, regarding the performance or reliability of these products.

--
Please reply in newsgroup.