My cpu is cold but when I overclock I get the bsod (noob question)

enlargedhousecats

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
these are my specs and idle temperatures

Z15BK.jpg

and when I try to overcleck that cpu I always get the blue screen of death. no mater how cold it is.

sorry for my noobishness.

and I would appreciate help :D

Solution
I've built three systems with the 9750 because I got them for about $60. Two wouldn't overclock regardless of what I did, and the other seemed to be fine at 2.7 and 2.8GHz but would occasionally just BSOD and lock up. No matter what I did, all three of them ended up at 2.4GHz and that was the only speed I could keep them stable at. Just my 2¢ but you may have to be happy with stock speeds. It's probably just that I ended up with crap chips (and thus the $60 price tag) but I'd never had any issues with any other chip (AMD or Intel) like I have with those.
Are you sure that your AMD Phenom 64 X4 9750 2.4GHz is actually at 12C? Try using other temperature monitoring programs like Core Temp, Real Temp and Speedfan, and see what they report, it might be getting too hot, especially if you are using the stock cooler. Just so you know, the original Phenom 64s run pretty hot, and do not overclock well - 3.0Ghz would be considered to be a very good overclock.

As for overclocking, here is a good guide to get you started. Just to note, CPU-based overclocking crashes are normally either due to heat or because not enough voltage is supplied.

http://www.ocia.net/articles/k10overclock/page1.shtml

enlargedhousecats

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

the origonal pic was taken on a cold day with my window open and everything in that room was cold but my readings with core temp aren't much different. at least for a burning hot day

RS6UU.jpg

dkapke

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
I've built three systems with the 9750 because I got them for about $60. Two wouldn't overclock regardless of what I did, and the other seemed to be fine at 2.7 and 2.8GHz but would occasionally just BSOD and lock up. No matter what I did, all three of them ended up at 2.4GHz and that was the only speed I could keep them stable at. Just my 2¢ but you may have to be happy with stock speeds. It's probably just that I ended up with crap chips (and thus the $60 price tag) but I'd never had any issues with any other chip (AMD or Intel) like I have with those.

Solution

enlargedhousecats

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

aw well, I guess if I want a faster processor I'll just buy a new one. :(

thanks for the info :)