Last Minute Upgrade - Low Profile GPU or New Case/PSU/More Cost

I'll try to make this short.

My parents needed an upgraded computer. They wanted to get a Dell, mostly because my father would get a disabled veteran's discount. I walked them through the customization process, but wasn't thinking and let them get a slim case. I also said not to get a graphics card because there would be better options elsewhere -- not considering the effect of the slim case.

Additionally, I bought them a 24" HD monitor. The Dell did come equipped with HDMI, and the machine runs great. The big monitor reminded me about the graphics card.

Now, I've already spent around $500 on upgrading the household's technology -- on a Philosophy student's income. From what I understand, the case will only support certain graphics cards because of its very physical makeup. Meaning, more bang (so Mum can play Spore, my dad Flight Sim X, and I can MMO over holiday) isn't just the cost of a new card, but a case and a new power supply, too.

My question/last minute holiday request is this (finally) : is there any possible way that I could spend comparable money (say, from the $100 low profile to the mid-range $150-$175 GPU) without spending just as much on upgrading the rest of the hardware, assuming a new power supply will be needed either way?

(Edit: This is important, too: being able to display anything at all at 1920x1080. The quad-core, RAM and onboard graphics can actually get 30+ fps on Age of Empires 3 at full resolution ...with the graphics set to 16-bit rather than 32.)
1 answer Last reply
More about last minute upgrade profile case more cost
  1. The best low profile card you can get is an nVidia 9600GT. An equivalent competitor is the ATI HD4670, but I do not know of a low profile version.

They basically trade blows with each other, one is better at a game than the other and vice-versa. Thus, in the end they are equivalent; generally speaking. The 4670 consumes about 47w of power or roughly 13w less than the 9600GT.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162016
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Cases Graphics Product