Cant boot from CD/DVD ROM

gwalec

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
hi, i am trying to boot my OS from my DVD ROM but whenever the message "press any key to boot form CD or DVD" appears (and i press any key) my command is ignored and the OS loads.

I have changed boot device order in BIOS. I have used CDD, CD ROM and USB CD ROM options; None have worked (i am running the gigabyte UD3R on X58 chipset). I am using a wireless keyboard and i was told that it does not function in this scenario. So i went and tried a usb connected keyboard and same problem. I have yet to try PS/2 connection but will try tomorrow if i cant figure this out.

My dvd rom does work fine in every other instance that i have used it. I was told to boot my OS using flash usb drive. I want to install Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit edition (i have OEM version) but cant boot it from my USB because i am running windows 7 ultimate 32 bit right now. Plus, i want to figure out why pressing any key when prompted to boot form dvd rom does not work. Any ideas?

thanks again

gwalec

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010

okay i resolved my own problem. I had "legacy support" disabled in the BIOS settings. Must be set to "enabled" for anyone that is a noob like me.

madsere

Distinguished
May 16, 2007
I don't think that's a noob question. Having worked with PC's since IBM released the first PC I wouldn't consider myself a noob and I'm stuck in the same place. A i5-2400 on a Gigabyte Z64 mb, standard USB keyboard and mouse, standard USB CD-ROM. Hitting F-12 on boot, able to choose the "boot from USB CD-ROM" option, the PC detects the CD and offers the "press any key to boot from CD" or words to that effect - and then the keyboard is ignored.

I was really happy when I saw the solution, unfortunately when I checked "legacy support" was already enabled, so I'm a bit stuck here. Next step will be making a bootable USB thumbdrive with Win7 and boot from that. As that doesn't prompt on boot it might work.