drdroopy

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
well from looking at this screen i would say eighter my speedfan is on the fritz or my PSU is bad. I just got this psu

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006

And my system just dosnt seem to be running like it should, every time i run a stress test, ex prime95, 3d mark. My system locks up, also after every time i get a lock up my CMOS resets, im thinking it might have to do with my PSU for some reason. any thoughts? A

temp.jpg

What were the voltages before you replaced the PSU.

Software programs, When written correctly are accurate and reliable. Key word here is written correctly. Normally the software is looking at the wrong location, Polynominal is incorrect (or look-up tble is incorrect. Also the Bios itself may be in error.

In your case you Know they are not valid for the +12V (Computer would not Boot) and the +5V reading is VERY suspect.
Recommend:
(1) Try CPUID Hardware Monitor
www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php
(2) Use a DVM (Cheap one, at walmart or auto store)
They are VERY easly to use. Will verify software reading. Simply Plug the Black meter lead into the Black wire of the mulex connector, then with the red Multimeter lead plug into the red and yellow wire on the molex to verify the +5 and +12V.

Also when checking Voltage, check both idle and load. For loaded voltaged +12V, you can run furmark, or atitool's view 3d.

theAnimal

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

It doesn't matter how the software is written if the sensor is not accurate. No software gives an accurate reading on my PC.

drdroopy

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009

Well i did as you said, im getting 12.2 on the yellow wire and 5.15 on the red wire, heres a screen of my old PSU with speed fan, and a screen using CPUID with the new PSU, also i tried to run under load, computer freezes when ever i try any stress test, first video locks up and im able to move mouse, then mouse locks up also, i have to hit the switch on the PSU in order to reboot, cause holding the power button no longer works like it used to.......

volt2.jpg

cpuid.jpg

theAnimal

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Those voltages are fine, and your PSU has more than enough power for your system.

Several things you should try:

Run Memtest86+ overnight.

Reconnect all cables and re-seat cards and RAM.

Try a different PSU.

Try a different video card.

(1) What does Bios show for Your Voltages, and (2) did you put the VDimm back to manf specs for your memory after the bios reset.

If the only thing you replaced was the PSU and GPU card and your memory has the correct Voltage, then most likely your problem is the Video card or the PSU. Changing your PSU/Graphic card will not make Speed Fan readings all of a sudden invalid (Note Your +12V = 10.1 indicated your old PSU did infact need to be replaced). Nor should it affect your memory providing you retuned all your bios setting back to what you previosely had before CMOS reset to default) Values.

If it was me, I would make some more checks before leaving this system running over night unattended

(1) With your OLD graphic card installed and New PSU? Do you get the same voltage readings. If they appear correct, Try running Furmark and monitor the +5V/+12V under load. If everything is OK, I would say your New Graphic card is at fault, but still not rule out your New PSU as changing GPU changes the loading on the PSU.

(2) You got a great PSU, but that does not rule out a "lemon"

While the +5/+12V reading looks great at the molex connector, it does not rule out a problem with one of the 3 Voltages going to the 24 pin MB Connector, or the 4/8 Pin +12V connector. Even on a single rail PSU - You could have what is know as a cold solder joint on one of the PSU wires going to the MB.

This is Difficult to measure and depends on your level of comfort in doing (I've done it With the MB installed in the case). You may be more comfortable with the MB laid out on the table. Swipe a pin from your wife's (or GF) sewing basket. Leave your DVM black lead in the black molex connector pin (All grounds are common). Insert the pin into the 24 Pin connector and measure (repeat for all +3.3/+5/+12 Volt pins) Then check the 4/8 pin +12V wires. They should all be within +/- 3 to 5%. I go with 3%, manuf specs are from 3 to 5% generally.

Added - While your +5 @ 5.15V (measured) looks great, It is at the top end of the +3%. This is great aslong as it is not do to Low Current draw. Not sure what circuits on the MB/GPU use the +5V. But it could be used on the A/D converter for voltage reporting which whould explain why all three voltages readings are hosed. Again this could be caused by cold solder joint, or Loose connection on the +5 to the MB. Take theAnimials suggestion and reseat the 24Pin connector (Along with the other connections).

drdroopy

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
I took the advice of reseating all connectors, memory and ram, seems to have fixed something, im actually able to run 3d mark without any lockups now. Im going to take your suggestion as to testing all the power running to my board, as soon as i get my new motherboard in, figure why not while i got it apart? thank you all for the help so for, ill keep you all posted!

Correct me if I'm wrong, But speed fan was reading correct, except +12 was reading +10 about 0.5 below min ecceptable.
Were you having a problem with the old PSU or did you replace it as it was underpowered for your new Graphics card.

All you did was replace the PSU and graphics card, and now all three PSU voltages are off. If that is correct something else is going on. Your reseating of connectors and mem fixed the stability problem. I'm guessing it was the 24 Pin connector and it may have messed up a component assosiated and common to all three voltage reporting - Just a Guess. If that is the case, just keep an eye on it until you replace the MB.

The Best