Quickest way to update BIOS?

super_rad

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
All the parts for my PC are turning up today and just have one quick question.
I need to update the BIOS for it to correctly identify the CPU (Phenom II x3 720BE)
I am not installing windows on this, but i have an XP disc, would it be quicker to install XP and update the BIOS through there and then install Linux or to install Linux first and burn the BIOS to CD and then update it?
Also on all the guides on the gigabite website it says to put the BIOS on a floppy disc, I assume it will work to burn it to a CD also
Thanks

Mondoman

Splendid
Don't assume. At a minimum, it's a lot more complicated with a CD, since you have to load DOS drivers for the CD drive. A floppy drive doesn't require any extra drivers. Just buy a USB floppy drive and flash the BIOS from that.

super_rad

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
sounds like it'll be quicker just to install xp, download the gigabyte updating program and do it through that then wipe the hard drive and install linux

super_rad

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
OK so computer didn't turn up until today anyway, all setup and ready to boot but I want to sort the BIOS first. Got a floppy drive and a disk and downloaded the newest BIOS (F8a) from here and in the manual it says to extract and save the BIOS file (MA78GS2H.F8) to the floppy disk but the file is a .exe and theres no option to extract it. Can anyone help as to what I'm supposed to do? Thanks