Need advice for board have a Phenom 9600 Agena black edition

stefonog

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
Hi all,

First off, I know I should have come here first to review CPU's. I saw this AMD phenom 9600 agena 2.3 quad am2+ on sale at Newegg.com. It was $94 and I found a code for $15 off. I thought it would be a good deal and have been wanting to build a new system.
I have built 3 other Amd's and one Intel. I am going to mainly use my system for encoding video, burning mp3's and surfing.
I am wanting to know what motherboard maker I should focus on. I have about $100 to spend. I also want to hook up to my HDTV 32 inch screen.
I have been reading a little bit online about the quad core's and they mention something about CPU power need's a 8 pin connector? Could someone elaborate on this. And also what size PS would I need? I am planning on running a raid setup with 2 500gb drives, IDE, floppy, and 2 DVD/RW drives.
I like ASUS but have been reading so many diff things it's hard to know which MB maker to go with.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. If there is something I left out please let me know.

Thank you,
StefonoG

Welcome to the forums!

If you want an AMD processor, look at the new Phenom II's. If you cannot afford a Quad, look at the X3's. Very good performers for the price, and much better than the old Phenoms. So go look them over, let us know your choice, (you DO want one of the PII's, you do NOT want the old 9600) and we'll start making suggestions from there.

stefonog

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
Gigabyte, Asus, MSI are the top companies, but some of the cheaper ones are just fine. If your HDTV has HDMI, then you want a board with a HDMI output.
Any AM2+ mobo will run your processor, however I would try to sell it and get a Phenom 2, especially if your doing encoding and stuff, Agena Phenoms are crap.
Your processor needs a 4 pin cpu connector, any power supply will have that. Of course you want a board with onboard raid.
I'd recommend a name brand psu of 500w or more. (corsair, ocz, bfg, pc power and cooling, fsp, antec)
Do you have or plan on using a video card? If not, a 780G is pretty cheap and has good video.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157154

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341012

Thanks for your reply I have decided to try and return to Newegg or sell. I should have come to this site along time ago!

stefonog

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009

Thank you for the info. I will definitely be on the site asking more questions in future. I heard of this site for a few years but, Had never checked it out. I am glad I finally did! Thanks Guy's!!

stefonog

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009

I would like to get a AMD. I have two socket 939's now with single core's. I really haven't thought about it to much what I want to replace the Phenom 9600 with.
I live off a disability check so I have limited funds. I was going to try and buy something every month and put everything together. I basically do email,surf,chat, burn mp3's and encode video from divx to DVD.
I am using windows 7 beta and was thinking about experimenting with UBUNTU.

mbbs20

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
in that case get the x3 710....its still tons of performance for your kind of work..oh and get a cheap 780g chipset with hdmi and u will love it.

stefonog

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
It will probably be a little bit before I can start getting everything together. I will be back when I start to think about what I am going to do. But, One question sense I have limited funds where do you all think I should start first?
Thanks for a you input. This is a great site!