TS2-- Swimming pools

Last response: in Video Games
January 17, 2005 2:58:14 AM

Hi all

I have a question about swimming pools.
I don't seem to be able to build any other shape than a plain
square/rectangle.
I was trying to build pools like in TS with stepped sides, or chequerboard
or with a large square and small square intersecting (sort of a square
figure 8) but haven't had any luck.
Is there some cheat?

Many thanks
Dim Sim

More about : ts2 swimming pools

Anonymous
January 17, 2005 2:58:15 AM

hello a nice tutorial to pools is here in my opinion that is

http://mikeinside.illusionfxnet.com/sims2/index.html

"Dim Sim" <dim_sim@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
> Hi all
>
> I have a question about swimming pools.
> I don't seem to be able to build any other shape than a plain
> square/rectangle.
> I was trying to build pools like in TS with stepped sides, or chequerboard
> or with a large square and small square intersecting (sort of a square
> figure 8) but haven't had any luck.
> Is there some cheat?
>
> Many thanks
> Dim Sim

Anonymous
January 17, 2005 2:58:16 AM

drs. muts wrote:
> hello a nice tutorial to pools is here in my opinion that is
>
> http://mikeinside.illusionfxnet.com/sims2/index.html
>

> "Dim Sim" <dim_sim@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
>
>>Hi all
>>
>>I have a question about swimming pools.
>>I don't seem to be able to build any other shape than a plain
>>square/rectangle.
>>I was trying to build pools like in TS with stepped sides, or chequerboard
>>or with a large square and small square intersecting (sort of a square
>>figure 8) but haven't had any luck.
>>Is there some cheat?
>>
>>Many thanks
>>Dim Sim

And, if you're interested, there's also a pretty nifty tutorial about rooftop
pools at Avenida Sims - http://avenidasims.com/english/sim2_index.html under
Data/Tutorial.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 2:58:17 AM

"Katiya" <katiyaNO@SPAMhotmail.THANKScom> schreef in bericht

> drs. muts wrote:
> > hello a nice tutorial to pools is here in my opinion that is
> >
> > http://mikeinside.illusionfxnet.com/sims2/index.html
> >

> > "Dim Sim" <dim_sim@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
> >
> >>Hi all
> >>
> >>I have a question about swimming pools.
> >>I don't seem to be able to build any other shape than a plain
> >>square/rectangle.
> >>I was trying to build pools like in TS with stepped sides, or
chequerboard
> >>or with a large square and small square intersecting (sort of a square
> >>figure 8) but haven't had any luck.
> >>Is there some cheat?
> >>
> >>Many thanks
> >>Dim Sim
>
> And, if you're interested, there's also a pretty nifty tutorial about
rooftop
> pools at Avenida Sims - http://avenidasims.com/english/sim2_index.html
under
> Data/Tutorial.

Thanks but thats to complicated for me yet ;-)
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 2:38:03 PM

Thank you so much

Have a great day
Regards
Dim Sim

"drs. muts" <opzouten@sukkel.nl> wrote in message
> hello a nice tutorial to pools is here in my opinion that is
>
> http://mikeinside.illusionfxnet.com/sims2/index.html
>

> "Dim Sim" <dim_sim@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
>> Hi all
>>
>> I have a question about swimming pools.
>> I don't seem to be able to build any other shape than a plain
>> square/rectangle.
>> I was trying to build pools like in TS with stepped sides, or
>> chequerboard
>> or with a large square and small square intersecting (sort of a square
>> figure 8) but haven't had any luck.
>> Is there some cheat?
>>
>> Many thanks
>> Dim Sim

Anonymous
January 20, 2005 5:58:43 AM

I wouldn't bother with making a fancy pool. In my experience most sims in
sims 2 really don't care about the pool, even active ones. They swim for a
while dive a few times then go find something better to do. Hot tubs are
much more effective at entertaining the sims mostly because they can
actually chat and cuddle and even woohoo.
-josh
"drs. muts" <opzouten@sukkel.nl> wrote in message
> hello a nice tutorial to pools is here in my opinion that is
>
> http://mikeinside.illusionfxnet.com/sims2/index.html
>

> "Dim Sim" <dim_sim@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
>> Hi all
>>
>> I have a question about swimming pools.
>> I don't seem to be able to build any other shape than a plain
>> square/rectangle.
>> I was trying to build pools like in TS with stepped sides, or
>> chequerboard
>> or with a large square and small square intersecting (sort of a square
>> figure 8) but haven't had any luck.
>> Is there some cheat?
>>
>> Many thanks
>> Dim Sim

January 20, 2005 1:19:03 PM

I do wish that Sims would play in the pool...like water volleyball or Marco
Polo...
they should have the option to splash each other and dunk each other

:/

--
- D
"Joshua White" <ksjosh82@ku.edu> wrote in message
>I wouldn't bother with making a fancy pool. In my experience most sims in
>sims 2 really don't care about the pool, even active ones. They swim for a
>while dive a few times then go find something better to do. Hot tubs are
>much more effective at entertaining the sims mostly because they can
>actually chat and cuddle and even woohoo.
> -josh
> "drs. muts" <opzouten@sukkel.nl> wrote in message
>> hello a nice tutorial to pools is here in my opinion that is
>>
>> http://mikeinside.illusionfxnet.com/sims2/index.html
>>

>> "Dim Sim" <dim_sim@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> I have a question about swimming pools.
>>> I don't seem to be able to build any other shape than a plain
>>> square/rectangle.
>>> I was trying to build pools like in TS with stepped sides, or
>>> chequerboard
>>> or with a large square and small square intersecting (sort of a square
>>> figure 8) but haven't had any luck.
>>> Is there some cheat?
>>>
>>> Many thanks
>>> Dim Sim

Anonymous
January 21, 2005 1:24:46 AM

Joshua White wrote:
> I wouldn't bother with making a fancy pool. In my experience most sims in
> sims 2 really don't care about the pool, even active ones. They swim for a
> while dive a few times then go find something better to do. Hot tubs are
> much more effective at entertaining the sims mostly because they can
> actually chat and cuddle and even woohoo.

I suspect that fancy swimming pools are more for the joy of the player than the
Sim. :)
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 1:24:47 AM

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 22:24:46 GMT, Katiya
<katiyaNO@SPAMhotmail.THANKScom> wrote:

>Joshua White wrote:
>> I wouldn't bother with making a fancy pool. In my experience most sims in
>> sims 2 really don't care about the pool, even active ones. They swim for a
>> while dive a few times then go find something better to do. Hot tubs are
>> much more effective at entertaining the sims mostly because they can
>> actually chat and cuddle and even woohoo.
>
>I suspect that fancy swimming pools are more for the joy of the player than the
> Sim. :)

Of course. The Sims don't care what color the bedding is either, but
for some reason the players do--at least, I do. I have probably more
bedding recolors than any other kind of recolors.

BW
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 5:42:06 PM

Me too!

"My name is Megan and I am a Sims bed-a-holic"

;')

MM

<barbara@bookpro.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 22:24:46 GMT, Katiya
> <katiyaNO@SPAMhotmail.THANKScom> wrote:
>
> >Joshua White wrote:
> >> I wouldn't bother with making a fancy pool. In my experience most sims
in
> >> sims 2 really don't care about the pool, even active ones. They swim
for a
> >> while dive a few times then go find something better to do. Hot tubs
are
> >> much more effective at entertaining the sims mostly because they can
> >> actually chat and cuddle and even woohoo.
> >
> >I suspect that fancy swimming pools are more for the joy of the player
than the
> > Sim. :)
>
> Of course. The Sims don't care what color the bedding is either, but
> for some reason the players do--at least, I do. I have probably more
> bedding recolors than any other kind of recolors.
>
> BW
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 5:43:14 PM

"Katiya" <katiyaNO@SPAMhotmail.THANKScom> wrote in message
news:o cWHd.131812$Xk.44183@pd7tw3no...

> Joshua White wrote:
>> I wouldn't bother with making a fancy pool. In my experience most sims
>> in sims 2 really don't care about the pool, even active ones. They swim
>> for a while dive a few times then go find something better to do. Hot
>> tubs are much more effective at entertaining the sims mostly because they
>> can actually chat and cuddle and even woohoo.
>
> I suspect that fancy swimming pools are more for the joy of the player
> than the Sim. :)

I know my favorite part of playing the game is the design aspect...or the
redecorating or even just creating sims.... I do actually play too
sometimes... but I'm a frustrated interior designer ;-) My gameplay has
just improved dramatically since the new recolours and walls and floors!!!
I find it really interesting to see what aspects people find the most fun
about the game. Another thing that really amazed me when i first joined
this group, and also since TS2 was released, is how many people actually
play the goths and other characters that maxis creates. I can honestly say
other than in the tutorial on the original sims, I have never ever played
them. In fact I deleted them on the original sims so I had more room to
build more houses! I haven't deleted them this time, but I started off in
Pleasantview and moved on to my own neighbourhood cos I rather them make
friends with my own created sims... We're all so different really :)

~ jo

http://thesims2.ea.com/mysimpage/mysimpage.php?user_id=...
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 5:43:15 PM

"hangover_girl" <hangovergirl@dodo.com.au> wrote in message

.......................Another thing that really amazed me when i first
joined
> this group, and also since TS2 was released, is how many people actually
> play the goths and other characters that maxis creates. I can honestly
> say other than in the tutorial on the original sims, I have never ever
> played them. In fact I deleted them on the original sims so I had more
> room to build more houses! I haven't deleted them this time, but I
> started off in Pleasantview and moved on to my own neighbourhood cos I
> rather them make friends with my own created sims... We're all so
> different really :)

There you go. That is just what happened to me.
My first/second install; I wiped out most of the Maxi Sims, eventually
abandoned the neighbourhoods and the mass of characters and stayed in my own
areas.

This run through I am working in Pleasantview, but my own Sims are taking
over and I am playing the Maxi offers less and less.

Off topic, but a chance to let me grump a bit.... Fun and games with my
computer this last few days.
Had a chance to grab a Radeon 9800 SE 256. 'I wannit!' said I. 'Gimme!'
Currently running.. oh.. Nvidea 4200, or something, with a bitty 64
whatsits, so you can see why I turned greedy.
'But think of the money I am saving,' I told husband, who sighed, and wrote
a cheque. (Unexpected, but gratefully received)

I got it. Would it work? No, it would not. Frustration.
Son came over, tutting. mangled the BIOS while I stood and wailed.
Son took card away to test on his machine. Perfect. Nice card.
'I tell you what. Let me use this card and you try my Radeon card.... Just
test it...'
Would it work? No it would not.
'How much power have you got... Do you really NEED this floppy?'
'YES! I have a little cable thing. Use the second floppy feed. Gimme my new
card back!'
'Good grief, mother. You need a bigger power supply...'
'Yes, yes. Give me my card back!'
'You might as well hang onto my old card. it's just as good.. Get another
power supply and..'
'Yes. yes. GIVE ME MY NEW CARD BACK!' <Major tantrum time>

Bought power supply on-line. Husband, still sighing, said he would pay and
clumped off on his crutches.
His plastic number was rejected. No cash in his card. Great searching took
place. No CARD!
Deep Gloom. Phone bank.

Oh! His debit card was cancelled last Friday afternoon... He went out to buy
petrol last friday morning. All his money still intact.
Give thanks to an honest person somewhere in this area. Big smile.
Lectured husband on his slap-dash habits and being on crutches is NO excuse.
Lectured loud and long.
Husband said 'Buy your own damn power supply...'
Became nice to husband. Baked a cake.

Power supply arriving this morning and I am sitting here with my screwdriver
in my hand, and a nasty glint in my eye, because my son STILL has the new
graphics card and is going away to work up north for a week.
And he has taken his Radeon CD away by mistake but left me his old card.
I think I will kill him.

grump over.

Granny - More tea! More tea!
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 5:49:35 PM

Do you want to be my mum instead? Please? Everytime I try to upgrade my
fathers machine he complains that things are different/don't work the same.
This is a man that runs a geophysical chemistry lab. He can operate all
those chemistry machines and what-not, but he can't handle anything higher
than 98SE (at home), nor operate the video recorder by himself.

Sometimes, just to annoy him I change his desktop and/or sounds to confuse
him. I don't know why. He just makes me change them back.

;')

You should have heard what he said when my trying to network his machine
with my P4 running XP killed his operating system. Whew! I got all his files
back but - "It's not the same. Things are different!"

MM

"Granny Crabapple" <plumjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> [...]
> place. No CARD!
> Deep Gloom. Phone bank.
>
> Oh! His debit card was cancelled last Friday afternoon... He went out to
buy
> petrol last friday morning. All his money still intact.
> Give thanks to an honest person somewhere in this area. Big smile.
> Lectured husband on his slap-dash habits and being on crutches is NO
excuse.
> Lectured loud and long.
> Husband said 'Buy your own damn power supply...'
> Became nice to husband. Baked a cake.
>
> Power supply arriving this morning and I am sitting here with my
screwdriver
> in my hand, and a nasty glint in my eye, because my son STILL has the new
> graphics card and is going away to work up north for a week.
> And he has taken his Radeon CD away by mistake but left me his old card.

Anonymous
January 21, 2005 7:28:20 PM

> Do you want to be my mum instead? Please? Everytime I try to upgrade my
> fathers machine he complains that things are different/don't work the
> same.

Oh, I KNOW! When I upgrade or go crazy and buy new, my old stuff gets
passed to my husband.
You should hear what he says about my old computer 'breaking' his Lotus 123.

This 'me being the computer buff' and him being the 'electronics whizz' is
due to me, the female, finding and curing a circuit glitch (with silver
paper and glue) way back in about 1982 and him deciding that computers were
'toys' suitable for females and those of a low intelligence.

He won;t play chess with me any more, either. 8)))
Mind, me jumping round the room yelling 'yes! YES!' and punching the air,
was, perhaps, not a nice thing to do to a new husband who had played chess
about twice before in his life. (I did not know that).

> This is a man that runs a geophysical chemistry lab. He can operate all
> those chemistry machines and what-not, but he can't handle anything higher
> than 98SE (at home), nor operate the video recorder by himself.

<nods.> That's it.. except my man hung onto Windows 95 until I pulled it
away, just like a grubby comfort blanket and washed it all up.
If your father can handle Win 98SE he is doing better than this guy... who
lies in bed and reads circuit diagrams for fun.... 8((((

Man down the road used to phone his son up (who was in university) when they
wanted to pre-record a video program. I have been asked not to tell the
parents that I know about this. 8))))

> Sometimes, just to annoy him I change his desktop and/or sounds to confuse
> him. I don't know why. He just makes me change them back.

Want to know a real, deep horrid thing to do? My son did it to me years back
when I was writing big-time.
Go into his word processor and change the default text colour to white - or
the same shade as the background paper.

I sat down, rubbed my hands and thought 'right!' loaded in huge text, with a
big smile on my face... Then sat for about a minute just staring at the
screen and making faint, pathetic whimpering sounds.

> ;')
>
> You should have heard what he said when my trying to network his machine
> with my P4 running XP killed his operating system. Whew! I got all his
> files
> back but - "It's not the same. Things are different!"

Networking? Well I would yell abuse at that as well, though i wouldn;t mind
the operating system being wiped out.
One shrugs, philosophically, like, and, puts it all back in again, only now
it is nice and tidy.

The other night, when my son was glaring at the non-functioning graphics
board he said 'I don;t know why I am down here on my hands and knees doing
this, you are perfectly capable of putting in a new board...' grumble,
grumble...
I said I was making him feel wanted.
But we were thinking back. When I had an Acorn RISC PC It was such a lovely
machine to take to bits, gloat over and put back together again. One could
have a real clean-up (spray polish the circuit boards. Clean all that nasty
sticky stuff from under those hot chips... you know how it goes) well you
did it for fun, when you were bored.

Not any more. 8((( Nasty boxes, no space for fumbling fingers and the
number of connections at the back!! Horror!
USB might have made it a bit easier, but half my extra stuff.. graphics
tablet and a venerable film scanner, has a thingy to USB connector, and more
wires, and drivers and daisy-chained things and external old V90 modem still
chugging along.. scanners, printer, sound recording thing.. I just unplug
the lot now and have a bunch of wires held in a bulldog clip and pegged to
the end of my curtain.

Dead technical, we are. I have just checked, and see one cable has been
clothes-pegged to the end of a wind-chime.
Tinkle-tinkle-clunk.

Granny - still waiting for the power supply.

Anonymous
January 21, 2005 9:32:55 PM

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 14:43:14 +1100, "hangover_girl"
<hangovergirl@dodo.com.au> wrote:

>"Katiya" <katiyaNO@SPAMhotmail.THANKScom> wrote in message
>news:o cWHd.131812$Xk.44183@pd7tw3no...
>>

>> Joshua White wrote:
>>> I wouldn't bother with making a fancy pool. In my experience most sims
>>> in sims 2 really don't care about the pool, even active ones. They swim
>>> for a while dive a few times then go find something better to do. Hot
>>> tubs are much more effective at entertaining the sims mostly because they
>>> can actually chat and cuddle and even woohoo.
>>
>> I suspect that fancy swimming pools are more for the joy of the player
>> than the Sim. :)
>
>I know my favorite part of playing the game is the design aspect...or the
>redecorating or even just creating sims.... I do actually play too
>sometimes... but I'm a frustrated interior designer ;-) My gameplay has
>just improved dramatically since the new recolours and walls and floors!!!
>I find it really interesting to see what aspects people find the most fun
>about the game. Another thing that really amazed me when i first joined
>this group, and also since TS2 was released, is how many people actually
>play the goths and other characters that maxis creates. I can honestly say
>other than in the tutorial on the original sims, I have never ever played
>them. In fact I deleted them on the original sims so I had more room to
>build more houses! I haven't deleted them this time, but I started off in
>Pleasantview and moved on to my own neighbourhood cos I rather them make
>friends with my own created sims... We're all so different really :)

I like starting with pre-made families in Sims 2 because they've
already got some skills and friends, and I haven't had much time to
get up to speed. This way, I can learn the game without starting from
zero in terms of friends, skills, and money. But I mix them with my
own created Sims, and I change the appearance of some of the pre-made
Sims to suit my own scenarios.

With Sims 1, after doing the tutorial, I created a family and focused
on that for quite a while, then played mostly my own families and the
Newbies. Later, I started playing the Goths too, but not as much as
the Newbies. I didn't move the Pleasants, Roomies, etc. into the game
for a long time, and I still haven't played them that much. Some day,
I'll go back and get Michael Bachelor moved along in a career and
married to both of the Roomies giirls. For some reason, I've always
been fond of Bob Newbie, and I have bunch of all-Bob-Newbie households
in one Sims 1 neighborhood just for grins. I have a soft spot for
Mortimer Goth too.

BW
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 9:40:41 PM

Granny Crabapple wrote:

> Want to know a real, deep horrid thing to do? My son did
> it to me years back when I was writing big-time.
> Go into his word processor and change the default text
> colour to white - or the same shade as the background
> paper.

Another fun joke is telling Word to change every occurence of
"the" into "peanut butter".

T.
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 9:47:06 PM

OMIGOD you crack me up...ROFLMAO!!!

> [...]

> clumped off on his crutches.
> His plastic number was rejected. No cash in his card. Great searching
> took place. No CARD!
> Deep Gloom. Phone bank.
>
> Oh! His debit card was cancelled last Friday afternoon... He went out to
> buy petrol last friday morning. All his money still intact.
> Give thanks to an honest person somewhere in this area. Big smile.
> Lectured husband on his slap-dash habits and being on crutches is NO
> excuse. Lectured loud and long.
> Husband said 'Buy your own damn power supply...'
> Became nice to husband. Baked a cake.
>
> Power supply arriving this morning and I am sitting here with my
> screwdriver in my hand, and a nasty glint in my eye, because my son STILL
> has the new graphics card and is going away to work up north for a week.
> And he has taken his Radeon CD away by mistake but left me his old card.

Anonymous
January 21, 2005 10:12:31 PM

barbara@bookpro.com wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 14:43:14 +1100, "hangover_girl"
<snip>
> For some reason, I've always
> been fond of Bob Newbie, and I have bunch of all-Bob-Newbie
households
> in one Sims 1 neighborhood just for grins.

I did the same thing, except with Bella Goth.
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 12:01:07 AM

"Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
> Granny Crabapple wrote:
>
>> Want to know a real, deep horrid thing to do? My son did
>> it to me years back when I was writing big-time.
>> Go into his word processor and change the default text
>> colour to white - or the same shade as the background
>> paper.
>
> Another fun joke is telling Word to change every occurence of
> "the" into "peanut butter".

We used to have a party game once... Well, for 'party' read: pissed at
newts...
Take a text and argle-bargle it. I can't remember the right order, if it
makes any difference, but change all the 'e's to eekle
change 'a's to 'argle'. 'I's, to 'ingle... then oglet, and umpelty. or
perhaps not as many. Whatever.
Finally, print out the result and read it out as seriously as you can .
Sometimes you could have words stretched to about 25 letters. 8)))
I can remember having to recite 'I wandered, lonely as a cloud,' once and
almost collapsing.

Ahhh.. Those were the days. Just not the same when you are drinking orange
juice.

Granny - IPPITE warglendeeklereekled loneeklely argles argle cloud tharglet
floarglets on hippitegh oreekle dargleleekles arglend hippitells…
Hmmm. Sounds good almost Early English, that does.
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 6:58:51 AM

> "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
> > Granny Crabapple wrote:
> >
> >> Want to know a real, deep horrid thing to do? My son did
> >> it to me years back when I was writing big-time.
> >> Go into his word processor and change the default text
> >> colour to white - or the same shade as the background
> >> paper.
> >
> > Another fun joke is telling Word to change every occurence of
> > "the" into "peanut butter".
> >
> We used to have a party game once... Well, for 'party' read: pissed at
> newts...
> Take a text and argle-bargle it. I can't remember the right order, if it
> makes any difference, but change all the 'e's to eekle
> change 'a's to 'argle'. 'I's, to 'ingle... then oglet, and umpelty. or
> perhaps not as many. Whatever.
> Finally, print out the result and read it out as seriously as you can .
> Sometimes you could have words stretched to about 25 letters. 8)))
> I can remember having to recite 'I wandered, lonely as a cloud,' once and
> almost collapsing.
>
> Ahhh.. Those were the days. Just not the same when you are drinking orange
> juice.
>
> Granny - IPPITE warglendeeklereekled loneeklely argles argle cloud
tharglet
> floarglets on hippitegh oreekle dargleleekles arglend hippitells.
> Hmmm. Sounds good almost Early English, that does.

Sounds like Vogon poetry!

;')

MM

Anonymous
January 22, 2005 11:30:16 AM

> On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 14:43:14 +1100, "hangover_girl"

> I like starting with pre-made families in Sims 2 because they've
> already got some skills and friends, and I haven't had much time to
> get up to speed. This way, I can learn the game without starting from
> zero in terms of friends, skills, and money.

Yes, with the plain game that is a pain in the neck, and so illogical. I
have said before. Hardly likely a new family would move into a house and
have no skills whatsoever.
This is why I use SimPe. Pop the new Sims into a house then save, fast and
set them up nicely with a full set of skills and quirks.

I was greatly amused yesterday, after installing the baker Street Gang and
the Moriarty Mob into their respective, identical houses, and seeing
Moriarty gossiping to Colnel Moran about Sherlock Holmes, although they had
never met yet. (minus 80, deadly enemy)

Later, Watson ran into Moriarty in the Ruptured Duck, but just avoided him.
One quick natter, then turned around and walked away.

> With Sims 1, after doing the tutorial, I created a family and focused
> on that for quite a while, then played mostly my own families and the
> Newbies. Later, I started playing the Goths too, but not as much as
> the Newbies. I didn't move the Pleasants, Roomies, etc. into the game
> for a long time, and I still haven't played them that much. Some day,
> I'll go back and get Michael Bachelor moved along in a career and
> married to both of the Roomies giirls. For some reason, I've always
> been fond of Bob Newbie, and I have bunch of all-Bob-Newbie households
> in one Sims 1 neighborhood just for grins. I have a soft spot for
> Mortimer Goth too.

Ah. Mortimer is living in the lap of luxury in my current game. Cassy has
moved in with disgustingly wealthy senior Vulcan along with father and
brother. I gave Morty his own wing... Everything top notch, posh.
Comfort.... The bum prefers to hang about in the lad's room playing on his
pinball machine.

I got really fed up with her psychological set-up so I SimPe'ed her to
normalicy.
While I could happily play the game without any other hacks, I really do not
think I could stand playing now without SimPe or the boolprop ability to
change aspirations as circumstances change.

I certainly don;t mind emptying potties. 8(

Granny.
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 2:32:19 AM

> "Madame Mim" <mad.mim@S.P.A.M.bigpond.net.au> wrote in message

> > Not even I'm that mean. His idea of computer fun is card games and
> > organising his recipes. He has this complicated Excel setup
>
> But that takes skill! or at the least, a very patient, long suffering
> nature.

It takes a long suffering nature - they are just lists. No database
functions or cross-referencing to be seen. He uses Excel because he has
tables that are wider than a page in Word and he wants everything to be on
single lines.

> I stopped watching Red D because I could stand the way ... Ohhh... The
bloke
> with the beard. The Main character!! Well i couldn't stand watching him
eat.

Lister. I stopped watching once too. Not for Lister. I close my eyes for
Lister. I stopped once because there was this scene on a PsyMoon where
Rimmer was stripped down and oiled. I looked at him and thought - mmmm,
nice! I had to stop watching then. Thinking about Rimmer's oiled pecks was
just too worrying. ;')

MM
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 3:54:45 AM

>> > Not even I'm that mean. His idea of computer fun is card games and
>> > organising his recipes. He has this complicated Excel setup
>>
>> But that takes skill! or at the least, a very patient, long suffering
>> nature.

Just out of interest, what for he has a data base of recipes for? Is he a
chef or an enthusiastic cooker?
My guy, most pleased that he cannot handle a saucepan with one hand and a
crutch, or our kitchen is too small for him and a walking frame.

I am pleased, too.

> It takes a long suffering nature - they are just lists. No database
> functions or cross-referencing to be seen. He uses Excel because he has
> tables that are wider than a page in Word and he wants everything to be on
> single lines.

My man misses card file.
I don't need to use databases. 8)))

> Lister. I stopped watching once too. Not for Lister. I close my eyes for
> Lister. I stopped once because there was this scene on a PsyMoon where
> Rimmer was stripped down and oiled. I looked at him and thought - mmmm,
> nice! I had to stop watching then. Thinking about Rimmer's oiled pecks was
> just too worrying. ;')

It could have been worse. You could have ogled Kryton.
Mr Scrap Heap, himself.

Grany.
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 8:02:04 AM

"Granny Crabapple" <plumjam@[reallywild]blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:p BCId.16423$GG1.15677@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

> "Madame Mim" <mad.mim@S.P.A.M.bigpond.net.au> wrote in message

> >> But that takes skill! or at the least, a very patient, long suffering
> >> nature.
>
> Just out of interest, what for he has a data base of recipes for? Is he a
> chef or an enthusiastic cooker?
> My guy, most pleased that he cannot handle a saucepan with one hand and a
> crutch, or our kitchen is too small for him and a walking frame.

He's an enthusiastic cooker. Takes recipe books to bed for entertainment. He
also had a pub for a while where he did all the cooking. I remember one time
he made Tikka Masala and a couple of other curries from scratch for the pub.
He ground the herbs. Dry rubbed and roasted the meat. Prepared the curry
base from scratch too.Bloody delicious! One day a tourist and her family
comes into the front bar, looks at the menu "Traditional Tikka Masala" and
says in a stage whisper to her group "Look, curried dog!" Dad nearly went
red from refraining from calling her every rude thing he could think of.

> I am pleased, too.
> >
> > It takes a long suffering nature - they are just lists. No database
> > functions or cross-referencing to be seen. He uses Excel because he has
> > tables that are wider than a page in Word and he wants everything to be
on
> > single lines.
>
> My man misses card file.
> I don't need to use databases. 8)))
> >

> > Lister. I stopped watching once too. Not for Lister. I close my eyes for
> > Lister. I stopped once because there was this scene on a PsyMoon where
> > Rimmer was stripped down and oiled. I looked at him and thought - mmmm,
> > nice! I had to stop watching then. Thinking about Rimmer's oiled pecks
was
> > just too worrying. ;')
> >
> It could have been worse. You could have ogled Kryton.
> Mr Scrap Heap, himself.

Old double-Polaroid from a vacuum cleaner? That wouldn't have been so bad. I
saw The Britas Empire before I ever saw Red Dwarf - maybe I should have said
"Thinking about Mr Britas's pecs was just too worrying."

MM
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 12:26:20 AM

>> Just out of interest, what for he has a data base of recipes for? Is he a
>> chef or an enthusiastic cooker?
>> My guy, most pleased that he cannot handle a saucepan with one hand and a
>> crutch, or our kitchen is too small for him and a walking frame.
>
> He's an enthusiastic cooker.

Oh ENVY!!!! Though I have to admit that I find cooking more of a necessity
than a pleasure, so anyone preparing me even a peanut butter sandwich would
be greeted with tears of gratitude.

Do you find that when a man takes to cooking, he means 'cooking', the
preperation and the simmering or roasting, but not the cleaning up
afterwards??
Or, in the case of an organised (wha-hahaha!) cook in a very small kitchen,
the cleaning up 'during'. Well, I try, anyway.

Takes recipe books to bed for entertainment.

Oh, I do that. I read them in a kind of wistful, hopeful way. like pouring
over maps of far-away places I know I will never visit.
I bought an old librabry book on ... oh lor... patisserie baking.
Oh, the pictures of little marzipan folded filo parcels and apricot fumbles
sprinkled with slivers of roasted almonds. Sluuuup... the different
pastries, and glazes, and gnash fillings and... Excuse me, while I weep.
We all have our dreams.

He
> also had a pub for a while where he did all the cooking.

That takes both self-discipline and skill. I am impressed by anyone who can
organise anything - and get it to work.

I remember one time
> he made Tikka Masala and a couple of other curries from scratch for the
> pub.
> He ground the herbs. Dry rubbed and roasted the meat. Prepared the curry
> base from scratch too.Bloody delicious! One day a tourist and her family
> comes into the front bar, looks at the menu "Traditional Tikka Masala" and
> says in a stage whisper to her group "Look, curried dog!" Dad nearly went
> red from refraining from calling her every rude thing he could think of.

8)))

>> It could have been worse. You could have ogled Kryton.
>> Mr Scrap Heap, himself.
>
> Old double-Polaroid

Oh YES!!!! Oh lor... Not often I laugh until I fall over, but that
episode....

As ever, the early series were the best - IMHO.

Granny.
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 1:02:26 AM

> "Madame Mim" <mad.mim@S.P.A.M.bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Just out of interest, what for he has a data base of recipes for? Is he
> >> chef or an enthusiastic cooker?
> >> My guy, most pleased that he cannot handle a saucepan with one hand and
> >> crutch, or our kitchen is too small for him and a walking frame.
> >
> > He's an enthusiastic cooker.
>
> Oh ENVY!!!! Though I have to admit that I find cooking more of a
necessity
> than a pleasure, so anyone preparing me even a peanut butter sandwich
would
> be greeted with tears of gratitude.
>
> Do you find that when a man takes to cooking, he means 'cooking', the
> preperation and the simmering or roasting, but not the cleaning up
> afterwards??
> Or, in the case of an organised (wha-hahaha!) cook in a very small
kitchen,
> the cleaning up 'during'. Well, I try, anyway.

Cleaning up we have a method for. We shout that it is the other ones turn.
Then there's - but I cooked! And finally we do it together, or he bribes me
with chocolate or something for my PC and I tell him to 'piss off and get it
then,' crank the radio up loud and clean it myself. I always think of
cleaning as something it's rude to do in front of others. Hey, some people
don't like to eat in front of others - I don't like to clean. I'm much
happier cleaning if no one is here.

> Takes recipe books to bed for entertainment.
>
> Oh, I do that. I read them in a kind of wistful, hopeful way. like pouring
> over maps of far-away places I know I will never visit.
> I bought an old librabry book on ... oh lor... patisserie baking.
> Oh, the pictures of little marzipan folded filo parcels and apricot
fumbles
> sprinkled with slivers of roasted almonds. Sluuuup... the different
> pastries, and glazes, and gnash fillings and... Excuse me, while I weep.
> We all have our dreams.

You can definately be my mum then. Dad handles all the spicy and exotic
savouries while my everyday cooking is much plainer - but I can do
disgusting things with flour, chocolate and sugar. I once found a recipe for
chocolate rum and raisin icecream (I've lost it now and am bitterly
dissapointed in myself) that was to die for. You know all those flavours you
expect when you buy things that call themselves 'rich' or 'decadent'
chocolate icecream that aren't there when you actually eat it. This stuff
had them and more. Dribble.

> > Old double-Polaroid
>
> Oh YES!!!! Oh lor... Not often I laugh until I fall over, but that
> episode....
>
> As ever, the early series were the best - IMHO.

Actually. I remember thinking he wasn't all that bad looking at the time
too. I just have a thing for guys that make me laugh.

MM
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 3:03:44 AM

>> Do you find that when a man takes to cooking, he means 'cooking', the
>> preperation and the simmering or roasting, but not the cleaning up
>> afterwards??
>> Or, in the case of an organised (wha-hahaha!) cook in a very small
> kitchen,
>> the cleaning up 'during'. Well, I try, anyway.
>
> Cleaning up we have a method for. We shout that it is the other ones turn.
> Then there's - but I cooked!

Yars... I tried that method in the far past. Trouble was I deeply suspected
the manof using every pot and pan he could find just to make work for
afterwards.
Why did I think that? because it's what I did a couple of times when I was
miffed about something. But that's different.

Then the kid grew up. 8)) New sort out of jobs. Now my kitchen window faces
the street. It is a biggish window. No blinds, just lace curtain.
I took pity on my son after i found him one night washing up by the light
of a torch, and glimmer from the hall.
He did not wish to be seen.
Talk about teenage image!!!! We reorganised the job rota.

And finally we do it together, or he bribes me
> with chocolate or something for my PC and I tell him to 'piss off and get
> it
> then,' crank the radio up loud ***and clean it myself. ***

Sigh. Story of my life.

I always think of
> cleaning as something it's rude to do in front of others. Hey, some people
> don't like to eat in front of others - I don't like to clean. I'm much
> happier cleaning if no one is here.

YES!!! But when you get oldish this has a snag.
Take me. Man went to work. I stayed at home. I cleaned, or did not clean,
whatever. But the house was empty and some days you wake up and think
'Right! It's a cleaning day.' and do it.
Weekends, the man was mooching all over the house. Now I figured (please
remember I am sixty this year. I am not liberated) I figured... Man goes to
work. Man gets money. Man gives me money. A good system. Man has two days
free so let man wallow and do what he wants. Bad enough I drag him out
shopping.
Therefore. When man is in the house I lifteth not the duster or the mop, and
the vacuum cleaner stays dumb. Happy house.

Now the bum is home all the time and always underfoot and twenty years of
doing nothing when he is around is fixed in my brain. I still lifteth not
the duster nor the mop when he is around... Well, not until the place starts
to look like The House of Usher, anyway.
And those morning when I wake up and think 'Cleaning day! Yup go for it!'
It doesn;t matter which room I chose, he wants to get in there. The vacuum
is always obstructing a doorway and he can't get through. He waits.. I SWEAR
he waits until a floor is wet then clumps in on his crutches and accuses me
of trying to kill him. I KNOW he waits until I have dragged all the easy
chairs to one end of the living room, then tells me he MUST watch some
program on TV.
And if I put one foot into the rat-infested, pigsty, great piles of
tottering papers and magazines and bits of plastic wagons he call his 'work
room' there is a great clattering of walking frames and thudding of crutches
and he appears like magic and asks
'What are you doing in here? No, no, don't touch!!! Go and clean somewhere
else.'

But I have discovered that throwing a tantrum, especially if I start to foam
at the mouth, results in 'would you like a cup of tea?'

A Good Thing.

>> Takes recipe books to bed for entertainment.
>>
>> Oh, I do that. I read them in a kind of wistful, hopeful way. like
>> pouring
>> over maps of far-away places I know I will never visit.
>> I bought an old librabry book on ... oh lor... patisserie baking.
>> Oh, the pictures of little marzipan folded filo parcels and apricot
> fumbles
>> sprinkled with slivers of roasted almonds. Sluuuup... the different
>> pastries, and glazes, and gnash fillings and... Excuse me, while I weep.
>> We all have our dreams.
>
> You can definately be my mum then.

Sweety-pie, I never said I cooked any of them. I just look at the pictures.
8(
My pastry is lethal. I have hot hands and the soft, delicate touch of a
steam hammer.
My bread is pretty okay though. 8)

Dad handles all the spicy and exotic
> savouries while my everyday cooking is much plainer

Nods. Much safer, too. Me also.

- but I can do
> disgusting things with flour, chocolate and sugar. I once found a recipe
> for
> chocolate rum and raisin icecream (I've lost it now and am bitterly
> dissapointed in myself) that was to die for. You know all those flavours
> you
> expect when you buy things that call themselves 'rich' or 'decadent'
> chocolate icecream that aren't there when you actually eat it. This stuff
> had them and more. Dribble.

Ahhh! Now that is something I have always beefed about and nobody agreed
with me. I blame the fact that I smoke but things never taste as nice as I
hope.
And coffee never tastes as nice as it smells. 8(((

Have you ever tried christmas pudding ice cream? I tell you... Ooooooh......
I have an old and tatty little clipping of a recipe, all stained and
dog-eared. Sherry, cream, sultanas, cherries, angelica, nuts.. etc.. etc...
etc.... dash of brandy... comes out brown and crunchy and gobble all up.
Note, do not set fire to it.

>> > Old double-Polaroid
>

> Actually. I remember thinking he wasn't all that bad looking at the time
> too. I just have a thing for guys that make me laugh.

He is the presenter of one of those scrap-heap challenge type programs up
here and I often think if only he would stop twisting his face into so many
expressions he... well... I suppose he gets paid for it. But it is a shame.
He is okay though. But they will dress him up in daft hats.

Granny CA
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 6:05:36 AM

> Now the bum is home all the time and always underfoot and twenty years of
> doing nothing when he is around is fixed in my brain. I still lifteth not
> the duster nor the mop when he is around... Well, not until the place
starts
> to look like The House of Usher, anyway.
> And those morning when I wake up and think 'Cleaning day! Yup go for it!'
> It doesn;t matter which room I chose, he wants to get in there. The vacuum
> is always obstructing a doorway and he can't get through. He waits.. I
SWEAR
> he waits until a floor is wet then clumps in on his crutches and accuses
me
> of trying to kill him. I KNOW he waits until I have dragged all the easy
> chairs to one end of the living room, then tells me he MUST watch some
> program on TV.
> And if I put one foot into the rat-infested, pigsty, great piles of
> tottering papers and magazines and bits of plastic wagons he call his
'work
> room' there is a great clattering of walking frames and thudding of
crutches
> and he appears like magic and asks
> 'What are you doing in here? No, no, don't touch!!! Go and clean somewhere
> else.'

You need to get him involved in some club. Or get him a dog. Make him leave
the house to walk it - All easier said than done I know.

> >> Takes recipe books to bed for entertainment.
> >>
> >> Oh, I do that. I read them in a kind of wistful, hopeful way. like
> >> pouring
> >> over maps of far-away places I know I will never visit.
> >> I bought an old librabry book on ... oh lor... patisserie baking.
> >> Oh, the pictures of little marzipan folded filo parcels and apricot
> > fumbles
> >> sprinkled with slivers of roasted almonds. Sluuuup... the different
> >> pastries, and glazes, and gnash fillings and... Excuse me, while I
weep.
> >> We all have our dreams.
> >
> > You can definately be my mum then.
>
> Sweety-pie, I never said I cooked any of them. I just look at the
pictures.
> 8(
> My pastry is lethal. I have hot hands and the soft, delicate touch of a
> steam hammer.
> My bread is pretty okay though. 8)

I figured that from the dreaming part - I meant I'd bake for you. It's more
fun baking if you have someone to eat it. I must admit, my pastry will never
be as good as my grandmothers (I also have hot hands) but I've learnt to use
the knife blade in a mixer combo I have to get a pretty good approximation.
My mum's diabetic (as is her mother) so I can't feed either of them.

> Dad handles all the spicy and exotic
> > savouries while my everyday cooking is much plainer
>
> Nods. Much safer, too. Me also.
>
> - but I can do
> > disgusting things with flour, chocolate and sugar. I once found a recipe
> > for
> > chocolate rum and raisin icecream (I've lost it now and am bitterly
> > dissapointed in myself) that was to die for. You know all those flavours
> > you
> > expect when you buy things that call themselves 'rich' or 'decadent'
> > chocolate icecream that aren't there when you actually eat it. This
stuff
> > had them and more. Dribble.
>
> Ahhh! Now that is something I have always beefed about and nobody agreed
> with me. I blame the fact that I smoke but things never taste as nice as I
> hope.
> And coffee never tastes as nice as it smells. 8(((
>
> Have you ever tried christmas pudding ice cream? I tell you...
Ooooooh......
> I have an old and tatty little clipping of a recipe, all stained and
> dog-eared. Sherry, cream, sultanas, cherries, angelica, nuts.. etc..
etc...
> etc.... dash of brandy... comes out brown and crunchy and gobble all up.
> Note, do not set fire to it.

Yes, and you're right. It's that kind of extra depth. I blame skim milk and
sugar replacements myself (but then again I have an unfortunate reaction to
commercial sugar replacements so I may be biased).

MM
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 2:24:19 PM

> "Madame Mim" <mad.mim@S.P.A.M.bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
>
> >Or get him a dog.
>
> I dislike dogs. The cats dislike dogs.

I have a Rottweiler and an English Mastiff. The Mastiff is stoic and
uninterested in cats - except that in the colder weather they come and share
her bed for warmth. She is old and arthritic and appreciates this. The
Rottweiler is frightened of the front end of cats (the back end is good to
chase). If any cat shows him undue affection he gets this paniced look on
his face

> > My mum's diabetic (as is her mother) so I can't feed either of them.
>
> Oh dear, how frustrating. Are you one of those awful people who can toss
> ingredients into a bowl without measuring, and at the same time watch TV
and
> keep up a running conversation over your shoulder... then have a cake turn
> out perfectly?
>
> If so, I hate you.

I can do that with scones, stew and roasts. Everything else requires a
recipe which I change as I go along. More vanilla normally. Yumm!!

> I have a huge treble-book 1950s compendium of cooking that was my mothers
> and is now mine. In a right mess it is, but among all the standard recipes
> are a lot for 'mock cream' and 'how to butterfy magarine' and things like
> that.
> I have tried them all. They all stink.

Yes

> When you really get down to it cooking is just chemisrty with a bit of
> physics thrown in, so why not perfect results each time? it beats the heck
> out of me - said she staring at a collapsed souffle or a separated sauce,
or
> a breadcrumb patty coating that floats away in the oil.

That's easy - because unlike science where you can properly quantify your
tools and method cooking relies on ingredients that vary according to the
weather - humidity and heat change the way a chemical reaction occurs. You
know that when they say every oven is different they are right. No kitchen
oven is the same as any other. The worst is cooking at my grandfathers
house. He still uses a wood stove - and the temperature gauge on that thing
is terrible. So, even if I could regulate the heat properly - I don't know
what that heat is.

> Granny - a baffled cook.

Turkey is my pet peeve. I have never managed to cook a perfect turkey
_ever_. Goose and chicken and duck I can manage, but turkey is either pink
in the middle or dry.

MM
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 1:05:23 PM

"Granny Crabapple" wrote in response to barbara@bookpro.com responding to
"hangover_girl"

>> I like starting with pre-made families in Sims 2 because they've
>> already got some skills and friends, and I haven't had much time to
>> get up to speed. This way, I can learn the game without starting from
>> zero in terms of friends, skills, and money.
>
> Yes, with the plain game that is a pain in the neck, and so illogical. I
> have said before. Hardly likely a new family would move into a house and
> have no skills whatsoever.
> This is why I use SimPe. Pop the new Sims into a house then save, fast and
> set them up nicely with a full set of skills and quirks.
>
> I was greatly amused yesterday, after installing the baker Street Gang and
> the Moriarty Mob into their respective, identical houses, and seeing
> Moriarty gossiping to Colnel Moran about Sherlock Holmes, although they
> had never met yet. (minus 80, deadly enemy)
>
> Later, Watson ran into Moriarty in the Ruptured Duck, but just avoided
> him. One quick natter, then turned around and walked away.
>

>> With Sims 1, after doing the tutorial, I created a family and focused
>> on that for quite a while, then played mostly my own families and the
>> Newbies. Later, I started playing the Goths too, but not as much as
>> the Newbies. I didn't move the Pleasants, Roomies, etc. into the game
>> for a long time, and I still haven't played them that much. Some day,
>> I'll go back and get Michael Bachelor moved along in a career and
>> married to both of the Roomies giirls. For some reason, I've always
>> been fond of Bob Newbie, and I have bunch of all-Bob-Newbie households
>> in one Sims 1 neighborhood just for grins. I have a soft spot for
>> Mortimer Goth too.
>>

> Ah. Mortimer is living in the lap of luxury in my current game. Cassy has
> moved in with disgustingly wealthy senior Vulcan along with father and
> brother. I gave Morty his own wing... Everything top notch, posh.
> Comfort.... The bum prefers to hang about in the lad's room playing on his
> pinball machine.
>
> I got really fed up with her psychological set-up so I SimPe'ed her to
> normalicy.
> While I could happily play the game without any other hacks, I really do
> not think I could stand playing now without SimPe or the boolprop ability
> to change aspirations as circumstances change.
>
> I certainly don;t mind emptying potties. 8(
>
> Granny.

Another thing I've never done is use PE... haven't needed to as yet. I use
motherlode and that hacked painting that gets all your needs sky high. And
then at night, while all good sims are sleeping and the lucky ones
woohooing, my sims study and work out and practice romance for a few days
and they are the stars of the neighbourhood within a week!

!