Motherboard for Acer T180 desktop

SimonH

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
Hi - I hope someone can advise me here.

I have an Acer Aspire T180 desktop (tower) PC, UK model. The other day, when removing a memory stick from one of the USB ports in the front of the machine, a small piece of plastic came out as well and the PC died. It looks like that was the bit of plastic which sits next to the pins in the port and keeps them separater so I assume when it came out two pins touched each other or something else and created a short circuit.

The PC will now only boot to the Acer splash screen showing 2 options: Del or F12; the keyboard will not respond. There are no beeps on boot. The power light on top of the machine lights up and there is power to the CD/DVD drive, although the PC will not boot from it. The hard disk is fine (thankfully), I've temporarily put it in another PC and all the data seems readable. Apparently this is a fairly common situation to be in with this particular PC.

I've had a look on the internet for various solutions and suggestions and have tried the most commonly suggested ones of (a) removing all ancillary devices from the mobo - USB, HDD, OD etc - except for one stick of RAM (no improvement) and (b) resetting the CMOS by removing the battery for an hour, moving the jumper to reset position and back, then re-inserting the battery (no improvement).

So I've come to the conclusion - based largely on all the posts I've read where others have tried to analyse this problem - that the fault lies either within the motherboard or the PSU. So I have a few questions:

1. Do others agree that the problem is likely to be in either motherboard or PSU?
2. Given that the fault is a result of what seems like a short circuit in a USB port attached to the motherboard, is it more likely that the motherboard is fried than the PSU?

I plan to change the motherboard but am finding it hard to see where I can buy a suitable replacement. Acer have been no help at all, the best they could so was give me the model number of the motherboard, which I already had.

The motherboard model number is MCP61SM-AM. From other posts on the Acer T180 it seems these boards are probably made by Foxconn, but I can't find this specific board on the Foxcon website and, even if I could, where can I buy this kind of thing from?

In a thread on AVForums I saw this Foxconn board suggested. Now I don't know how to find the original specs of the Acer T180 - I know it was AMD3800 chip, 1Gb RAM, onboard video & sound. Is there a website where you can type in the make & model or your PC and find a suitable motherboard (a bit like the Crucial site where it will help you find the right RAM) - or can anyone out there point me in the right direction for sourcing a suitable replacement. If possible I'd like to re-use the existing RAM, not least because I upgraded it to 3Gb. I'm fairly comfortable with the idea of fitting the new board myself.

Any advice or suggestions would be very welcome - thanks in advance

G

i had the same problem but i managed to fry my one from resteating a tv card while it was still on in the end i had to buy a new motherbord secound hand one i was set to go but then i had the problem that non of my devices worked on it so i swapped the bios chip over now i have a fully working pc.

phantomfreckle

Distinguished
May 30, 2011
Hi
I have the same problem but all i did was reboot the PC with a windows 'restart' and then it all stopped ! the keyboard does not have any lights on it when I press the number or caps lock.
I have stripped out all the 'goodies' I have had in the machine that have been running in it for months, is there anything I can do to confirm the Motherboard is the problem
Thanks
/