Can we install xp on core i3 processor

kollum01

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Hi Guru's,

Does the latest intel i3 330 processor support Windows Xp service pack2? I bought a new laptop recently with windows 7 preinstalled, i want windows xp sp2 in that? Can i do dual boot windows 7 & Xp-sp2 in that? My laptop configuration is Intel I3 processor, 3GB RAM, 320GB HDD. Please help me...

Thanks
Uma Sankar

For dual boot, you need the partitions set up appropriately. In all likelihood, you will need to re-partition the Hard drive, and then re-install Win 7, and also Win XP. Do you have the disks to do that? Some Win 7 applications have the capability of 'XP Mode' built in. (I have Win 7 Professional 64-bit, and it has the XP Mode feature. I use it for older XP programs. Works well).

kollum01

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Hello Sir,

i don't want to boot my pc in dual boot(with two OS), i want to use Win Xp Service pack 2 alone, while installing the OS i am getting the blue screen error. note - already win 7 has been installed in my machine. mine 32 bit pc.

if i want to use the " XP Mode feature" ... where i need to change the settings please help me.

Thanks

Uma Sankar

kollum01

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Hello Sir,

Could you please guide me where i get the XP mode option in win 7 OS.. i have win 7 ultimate in my desktop PC but in laptop its win7 premium

Thanks

Uma sankar

That's great Uma! With Win 7 Ultimate, you will have no problems installing Virtual PC, Win XP-Mode. Follow these instructions:
For Win 7 64-bit: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx
For Win 7 32-bit: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx (same instructions)

Print out the instructions, then download 'Windows XP Mode', then download 'Windows Virtual PC', and then download the Updates (if you do not have Service Pack 1).

After all downloads are complete, you must install a separate 'Anti-Virus' program on this Virtual PC and regularly update it. (It's like having another XP PC running within your Win 7 PC). That's why you need a separate Anti Virus program for the Virtual PC in addition to the Anti Virus program you have on the Win 7 PC.

Now you can install older XP programs on this Virtual PC. I use it for older AutoCad as well as for a Project Management program that will run on XP, but not on Win 7.

kollum01

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Hi Sir,

Thank You very much for your guidance as well as for your precious time, i have succeeded installing virtual machine to use win 7 and Xp too.

Thanks

Uma Shankar

Thank you Uma! One final note. Don't forget to install an anti-virus on the Virtual PC. and update the AV regularly. This is separate from the AV that you have for Win 7.

Consider it as a Win 7 computer AND a separate XP computer (2 separate AV required).

Good luck!