Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New HD increased win 7 performance score to 5.9

Last response: in Storage
May 7, 2010 2:34:47 PM

I recently upgraded the weakest link in my system, a 5400 rpm IDE hard drive, to a WD Cavier 7200 rpm Sata drive with a 64 mb cache. My win 7 performance score was 4.5 with the old drive, and it increased to 5.9 with the new WD hard drive. Would adding an SSD to my computer to hold Win7 increase that score above 5.9?

Asus M3A78-T mobo
AMD Phenom II X4 940 BE (overclocked to 3.6 ghz
4 x 1gb Patriot extreme performance DDR2 memory
ATI Radeon 4870 1gb video card
500 watt Coolermaster power supply

This was an inexpensive gaming rig that rocks!

Best solution

a c 127 G Storage
May 7, 2010 4:39:33 PM

Yes, and get an Intel SSD, much better than the many Indiilnx-based SSD out there like many OCZ product families.

Also, you may want to use real benchmarks to determine speed. I suggest HDTune Pro (eval), AS SSD and CrystalDiskMark. Specifically look for the random access since that's most important for your system disk. The sequential scores are particularly important to copying large files like movies and music.
May 7, 2010 7:44:51 PM

well, someone doesnt like the ocz vertex. Well... If you dont want to spend 100$ on a 30gb ssd boot drive then yes, go for intel based ssd's. Otherwise, i think every computer should have the 30 gb vertex as it is so cheap.
m
l
Related resources
a c 127 G Storage
May 7, 2010 8:14:36 PM

Intel is hardly more expensive per GB and at least 10 times faster in some benchmarks. If you are going to spend huge money for an SSD, get a good one.

Also, OCZ SSD tend to fail prematurely more often than Intel's, though i haven't seen any hard facts on this. Both sell very well.
m
l
May 10, 2010 6:17:23 PM

Best answer selected by fencer55.
m
l
March 2, 2011 9:01:51 PM

My friend just bought a HP comp from best buy has a 1TB HD he gets a 7.5 for his disc transfer rate in wei! i opened it up it was a caviar black 3.0gb/s i couldnt see any other reason why it pulled so high, mb was a no name, so confused now was convinced i needed a ssd
m
l
!