Remote monitor only shows desktop

Sky Pilot

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
I have a Dell Latitude D800 laptop computer which was given to me. Everything works perfectly, but when I connect a projector, all I get is the desktop picture. At times when I am trying to figure things out, the pointer shifts to the projector screen. To get it back to the home computer, i have to disconnect the projector.

Am I missing something here? The setting is set to dual monitors.

David Bevington

Right-click an open area of the desktop, select Properties.
Click the Settings tab.
There is a drop-down box in the middle of the screen (labeled Display) and here you select the monitor you want to set properties on.
Here, you select your laptop monitor first.
There are two checkboxes below it, one says "Use this device as the primary monitor" Check this box while your laptop monitor is selected in the above mentioned dropdown box.
The other says "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor" but you don't want or need it checked.

After you have set your laptop to be the primary monitor above, click the dropdown box and select the projector.
Now click the checkbox to "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor."
You can also set the resolution and color depth of the projector while you are here.
Whith the projector connected, click "Identify" and the number 1 should appear on the laptop, the number 2 should appear on the projector. You can drag items from the desktop to the projector as you desire.

It gets worse... If the projector is appearing on the right side of the laptop, that is you drag items to the right to get them to the projector but you really want to drag them to the left to get them to the projector...
There is a little window that shows your monitors at this same properties page and it shows their number. If #2 is on the right side of #1 then that is physically how it will work. You can reverse this by click and dragging the #2 monitor to the left of the #1 monitor. Now you will drag things off the left side of the desktop to get them to the projector.

Hope all this helps.

Sky Pilot

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011

REPLY: Thank you very much. The only thing you did not mention was to check "clone" to make the projector work.

David Bevington