Sign in with
Your question

**Is This System Good**

Last response: in Systems
November 28, 2008 5:01:09 PM

Ok so my last post was a bit low on detail. So this time I've included the parts for the system I'm buying. My total budget is about $1100 in total (This is a special deal through the company I work for, it's either use it or lose it):

Optiarc AD-7200S 20X DVD±RW/DL/RAM Internal SATA Bare Black Drive - OEM

XFX 9800GTX+ XXX Edition 775MHz 512MB DDR3 Dual DVI HDTV Out PCI-E Graphics Card: Not sure if I should get a different card or go 2x8800GT SLI

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Socket 775 (3.0GHz) 1333FSB 6MB L2 Cache Retail Boxed Processor: I would prefer to go quad, but I've heard duo is better for gaming. The quad would allow better future proofing.

Corsair 4GB Kit (2x2GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered CL5 Lifetime Warranty: Would of liked to go 8GB, but that means x64 bit OS. 32BIT apps can be a hassle to get working on x64.

ASUS P5KC AiLifestyle Series iP35 Socket 775 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard:Not sure about this one, it seemed good.

Maxtor 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm *32MB Cache* - OEM: Might go 1TB not sure, space will be needed.

LP4 MALE TO SERIAL ATA POWER ADAPTER (connects SATA hard drive To IDE Internal Power Connector)

Antec Nine Hundred 900 - Gaming Case with 200mm Top Fan - No PSU

Antec TruePower Trio 650W PSU - With 3x 12v Rails and 120mm Fan

Hiyatek Black 20-in-1 Multifunction Card Reader With Fan Controllers 2x USB E-SATA

All feeback is welcome, thanks in advance guys.

More about : system good

November 28, 2008 5:09:23 PM

i dont think that is an sli motherboard i'd probably get a 260gtx or 4870 1 gb I think for that money you should be able to get much better system
Related resources
November 28, 2008 5:18:51 PM

fergie < I know, this is just a rough spec. If I make changes it will have a knock on effect, so If I choose SLI. Then yeah your right I'll need a new board. Those cards sound good, I'll take a look.
November 28, 2008 5:22:01 PM

Quote:
Uh, i'd save up a little bit more... about 150... and then i'd build the 1250 system here... thats the point of it... for budget people...

http://www.tomshardware.com/review [...] ,2083.html

get a lot more WHAM for a little bit more...

The problem is this is a deal through my company, it's a xmas bonus of sorts. If I don't get it now I don't get jack. Their rules not mine.
Anonymous
November 28, 2008 5:30:16 PM

What does it matter if its a bonus? If you spend that 1100 outside of your business... you'll get a better system... don't feel obligated to spend money...

Whats the difference between spending 1100 in your business, and spending 1100 outside of your business? It's still 1100$... spend it outside and get more... or spend it inside and get less... i'd take the MORE thank you very much

Also... hows it a bonus? You're spending money... that doesn't qualify as a bonus... and you'll say... the bonus is the discount... Discount what? Your getting an imaginary bonus of what... 300 $? What kind of bonus is that anyway...
November 28, 2008 5:34:52 PM

Sorry thogrom, I should of explained better. They are buying the system for me, I work for a Software Development House, so they will get it at trade prices. I suppose I could chip in a few bucks more to get the system you linked to, providing the company supplier keeps all the parts in stock.
Anonymous
November 28, 2008 5:36:59 PM

Oh your getting it for free? I thought you meant you were getting a discount and you had to pay 1100 to get it.

If its completely free go for it, its great for being free. In fact i'm not sure you can get anything more being free :D 
November 28, 2008 5:39:06 PM

Yeah it's free, it's our xmas bonus. They might let me chip in some more cash, for a bettter. We are allowed to chose the parts we want. :) 
!