How to reset neighborhood?

I've been reading, with avid interest, the continuing saga of the woes of
Cassandra Goth, and saw someone (I think Madame Mim) mention resetting the
neighborhood to go and replay Cassandra.

How do you reset a neighborhood? Does this restore the neighborhood's
houses, people, and relationships all to their original state, like a fresh
install? I've built houses and put them into the lots and houses bin, can I
save these to make them available for use again, after resetting the
neighborhood?

I've looked through the manual but all I see is info on creating new
neighborhoods. I know in Sims 1, you could restore an original house or lot
by going into the file folder and getting the template file, and copying it
to the appropriate User Data folder, is this something similar? Anyway, I'd
appreciate it if someone could tell me how to do this, because I'd love to
be able to play different scenarios for the same people.

--Poppy
5 answers Last reply
More about reset neighborhood

    "Poppy" <aldermere@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > How do you reset a neighborhood? Does this restore the neighborhood's
    > houses, people, and relationships all to their original state, like a
    > fresh
    > install?

    Yes exactly that.

    > I've built houses and put them into the lots and houses bin, can I
    > save these to make them available for use again, after resetting the
    > neighborhood?

    They are stored in the "Lot Catalog" directory and won't be affected by
    resetting a neighborhood, but any sims you put in the family bin for that
    neighborhood *will* be wiped out.

    > I've looked through the manual but all I see is info on creating new
    > neighborhoods. I know in Sims 1, you could restore an original house or
    > lot
    > by going into the file folder and getting the template file, and copying
    > it
    > to the appropriate User Data folder, is this something similar?

    It's the same principle. The neighborhoods you play with are folders like
    N001, N002, etc in "My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Neighborhoods" and the
    templates you copy are in "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims
    2\TSData\Res\UserData\Neighborhoods" (assuming you installed the game in the
    default location).

    "Gryfallon" <doomdark@hotNOmailSPAM.comTHANKS> wrote in message
    > "Poppy" <aldermere@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    > > How do you reset a neighborhood? Does this restore the neighborhood's
    > > houses, people, and relationships all to their original state, like a
    > > fresh
    > > install?
    >
    > Yes exactly that.
    >
    > > I've built houses and put them into the lots and houses bin, can I
    > > save these to make them available for use again, after resetting the
    > > neighborhood?
    >
    > They are stored in the "Lot Catalog" directory and won't be affected by
    > resetting a neighborhood, but any sims you put in the family bin for that
    > neighborhood *will* be wiped out.
    >
    > > I've looked through the manual but all I see is info on creating new
    > > neighborhoods. I know in Sims 1, you could restore an original house or
    > > lot
    > > by going into the file folder and getting the template file, and copying
    > > it
    > > to the appropriate User Data folder, is this something similar?
    >
    > It's the same principle. The neighborhoods you play with are folders like
    > N001, N002, etc in "My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Neighborhoods" and
    the
    > templates you copy are in "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims
    > 2\TSData\Res\UserData\Neighborhoods" (assuming you installed the game in
    the
    > default location).

    So I copy the entire folder N001? If I save the existing one in a different
    location before I reset, can I then later put it back? It would be cool to
    be able to switch between two different timelines for Pleasantville, just by
    swapping out folders.

    Thanks for the help!

    --Poppy

    > So I copy the entire folder N001?

    Yep. Pleasantville comprises the N001 folder and everything inside it.

    > If I save the existing one in a different
    > location before I reset, can I then later put it back? It would be cool
    > be able to switch between two different timelines for Pleasantville, just
    > by
    > swapping out folders.

    Yes you can. If you have Windows XP then the "Send To -> Compressed Folder"
    feature is good for making backups of neighborhoods. I also found that you
    can also make copies of neighborhoods (i.e. have two Pleasantvilles on the
    go at once) using a renaming tool like the one I got from
    http://www.1-4a.com/rename/ - e.g. copy N001 to N004 and replace any
    occurences of N001 inside with N004.

    > "Poppy" <aldermere@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    > > So I copy the entire folder N001?
    >
    > Yep. Pleasantville comprises the N001 folder and everything inside it.
    >
    > > If I save the existing one in a different
    > > location before I reset, can I then later put it back? It would be cool
    > > be able to switch between two different timelines for Pleasantville,
    just
    > > by
    > > swapping out folders.
    >
    > Yes you can. If you have Windows XP then the "Send To -> Compressed
    Folder"
    > feature is good for making backups of neighborhoods. I also found that you
    > can also make copies of neighborhoods (i.e. have two Pleasantvilles on the
    > go at once) using a renaming tool like the one I got from
    > http://www.1-4a.com/rename/ - e.g. copy N001 to N004 and replace any
    > occurences of N001 inside with N004.

    Sweet! Thanks again.

    And while I'm at it, a general and large-scale thank you also, to all those
    people who have been making all the skins, hair, recolored and hacked stuff,
    etc., etc. for both S1 and S2. I appreciate your talented work and your
    willingness to share. <cue sound of applause>

    --Poppy

    *cat calling*
    *wolf whistle*

    Go team!
    *claps*
    --
    - D

    > And while I'm at it, a general and large-scale thank you also, to all
    > those
    > people who have been making all the skins, hair, recolored and hacked
    > stuff,
    > etc., etc. for both S1 and S2. I appreciate your talented work and your
    > willingness to share. <cue sound of applause>
    >
    > --Poppy

Cassandra Video Games