Broken 8800gtx

deadcells

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
Hi Guys...

was just wondering if anyone can help with the following...

was replacing the cooler on my 8800gtx the other day and somehow managed to break off two little pieces and i'm not sure what they are ... resistors, ic's...???. Anyway, they are numbered c27 and c28 and are small rectangular... items... found on the bottom left of the board... just left of the bottom left ram chip.

Here is an image for reference...

gf8800gtx-scan-front.jpg

The thing is... i have put the card back in my pc and it seems to be working fine... temps are stable... frame rates the same as before ... so i'm hoping they are for some functionality (e.g. sli) that i am not using. However... the card occasionally makes a funny buzzing sound when i've been playing games for a couple of hours but the sound stops as soon as i exit the game.

Any help in identifying these buggers will be appreciated.

thanx.

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
They are probably for voltage regulation to some part of the card or another.. I assure you the card will die sooner rather than later with them gone. They are certainly not for SLI or anything.

You would be surprised how many things you can pull off a board and still get function (provided you dont open too many circuits). But soon enough whatever part of the board those are protecting will die and with it so will the board.