MSI Afterburner wont let me change volts?

white4lfe

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
Hi, thanks for your future time and effort :D

My GPU: BFG gtx 260 oc 55 editon 216 cores 590/999/1294? stock settings

After getting advice and having someone help me with the settings we could not seem to get the voltage to be shown or change...we tried changing the unlock settings on the voltages but had no luck...I restarted the pc and tried a few other things. No such luck...now with my limited knowledge of gpu over clocking and with afterburner Ive come up with a few possible issues. First of all MSI doesnt mention the 216 version of the gtx 260 specifically as a usable card rather the 192 is. Secondly i believe BFG has locked the voltages as they sell the same cards at different over-clocked speeds for more money and they probably lock the cards so your forced to pay more because of the set limitations. And lastly i have read briefly about changing some kind of "enabledefault=0" in afterburner and the idea is to change that to 1? Im not 100% sure about that but i figure i might as well say any and everything to try to help. idk what else i can say besides the fact that my msi afterburner folder is located in programs files(x86) idk if the 32 bit makes any difference at all. And ive also looked into updating my gpu's bios but im really hoping that isnt an issue and i would feel comfortable doing that anyways.

system:

win7 64bit ultimate
i5-750 3.6ghz
4gb DDR3 overclocked for balance with cpu
700w psu
bfg gtx 260 OC 55 overclocked a little but not anything serious because of my above issue
air cooled
blah blah blah :D

white4lfe

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010

Yea i should of mentioned that my Voltage meter/bar is completely grayed out no matter what i did :( so lame

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006

I do not know how MSI's Afterburner works and on my HIS HD4850 the volt option is greyed out too. But using AMD's GPU clock tool (as well as ATI Tray Tool) i can change the core voltage as well as set higher overclock values than the Catalyst centre lets me to).

white4lfe

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010

Im not to sure thats a solution for my nvidia card but im sure it helped him out lol :(

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006

LOL, it probably isn't, BUT i believe ATI Tray Tools works with your card and therefore you could possibly try to change the core voltage too. Give it a try. (I know it says ATI, but if i remember correctly it works with NVIDIA cards too).

white4lfe

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010

Someone told me it was not a good idea to use more than one Overclocking tool at a time...does this count as a special case or will they contradict themselves and blow up my gpu!! lol?

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
No it will not blow up the GPU. The reason they told you that (and they are correct) is that by using more than one tools at a time, one application may override the settings of the other, hence rendering the whole point of trying to overclock pointless. That is why you should try and stick to one, to make sure that all your settings are applied and they are not changed or prevented to change from another application.

white4lfe

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010

Ok so im going to try EVGA precision and then the ATI tool i suppose after lol idk why but i have a weird feeling that ATI will use my personal info to send monkey ninjas to my house to attack my nvidia chipset O_O!! lol

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Hehe, no need for fear of Ninjas, as the ATIT tool is developed by an individual and has nothing to do with ATI the company itself. ;)
So far the best overclocking tool for my HD4850 has been the ATITT. It offers the most and best options of all (including setting the voltages, high overclock values and different game profiles). The last one is very important, as for example i can use a profile for a game that does not require a lot of power and set a smaller clock and a lower fan volume, hence silent and energy efficient, while when i play Crysis for example, i can set a maximum vcore, overclock and a higher fan - noisier, but i can overclock better and while wearing headphones most of the noise is gone anyway.

white4lfe

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010

alright time to try the ati tool because evga looked like msi afterburner yet it had no voltage control... sigh :( lol

No luck for me with ATITool. I'v tried pretty much every software for GPU OCing under the sun, including Precision, RivaTuner,etc.

white4lfe

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010

Cannot initalize ATI something or other...ok so im 0/5 on overclocking programs... do you know anything about flashing the gpu?

Hey buddy, check to see if you have the 55nm or 65nm version.

Here at Toms we there are a few users that are having the same issue saying that the 55nm's are not compatible with Afterburner. I'm still looking into this so I will let you know if I get a definitive answer.

white4lfe

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010

Yea i have the 55nm "...new 55nm GPU for enhanced performance" is what my box tells me :D that sucks tho...do you think they have enough feedback to try to add the support needed?

Yea I am using the 65nm version and it is overclocking pretty far, here is the highest I have tried so far :

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv199/OvrClkr/GPU-Z.png

GPU-Z.png

Oldirty

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
For what ever reason it's doing the same with me, and I know thx to OvrClkr that other with my card can, I am using the latest version of MSI Afterburner, 2.0.0
the card is a Gigabyte GV-N4600C 1g My cards bios version is 70.04.13.00.01

TRENDING THREADS