Sign in with
Your question

Constant reboot

Last response: in Windows XP
April 30, 2011 7:01:24 AM

Hey people of Tom's Hardware,
I'm baffled with this one. My machine just keeps rebooting to the "start windows normally" screen. No matter which option I choose it just reboots to that screen. I tried moving the RAM around, a different HDD and a different power supply. I tried loading Hirem's mini XP and as soon as it loads the drivers, BAM! reboot to that screen! I thought okay maybe because I just loaded a bunch of updates that's the issue so I popped in my XP disc to attempt a repair and it loaded the drivers from that and as it was ready to boot into XP, BAM! back to that boot up screen! So the last thing I thought maybe the processor is over heating when trying to boot into Windows, so I took off the heatsink, and there's virtually no goop on it so I greased it up and replaced the heatsink and BAM same boot screen! Any suggestions?

It's a Compaq S3100NX

US Product # DC477A
Chassis (Color) Minitower – Silver/Black
Color detail Black/Gray
Microprocessor AMD Athlon XP2200+ 1.8 GHz
Frontside Bus Speed 200/266 MHz
Processor Architecture PGA462 Socket A
Chipset Via KM266
Hard Drive 80 GB Ultra DMA
Drive RPM 5400 RPM
Memory Max 1 GB
Memory Speed 2100 MB/Sec
Total DIMM Sockets 2-184 pin
Available DIMM Sockets 0-184 pin open
Primary Cache (L1) 128 KB
Second-Level Cache (L2) 256 KB
Multimedia Drive 16X maximum speed DVD-ROM
CD, DVD Rewritable Drive DVD/CD-RW combo (32X/10X/12X/40X)
Diskette Drive 3.5” (1.44 MB)
Fax/Data Modem Lucent V.92 56K modem
Network Integrated 10/100 Base-T
Keyboard Compaq Internet Keyboard (PS/2)
Mouse Internet Scroll Mouse (PS/2)
Sound Integrated Realtek ALC201 (AC97)
Speakers N/A
Speaker Form Factor N/A
Total Expansion Slots (3) PCI (1) AGP 4X 1.5v
Available Slots (2) PCI (1) AGP 4X 1.5v
Total Drive Bays Ext. (1) 3.5” (2) 5.25” Int. (2) 3.5”
Available Drive Bays (1) 3.5” Int.
Total External Ports (1) Serial (6) USB 2.0 (1) Parallel (2) PS/2
Available External Ports (1) Serial (6) USB 2.0 (1) Parallel
Front Mounted Ports (2) USB 2.0
Video Graphics (AGP) Integrated ProSavage AGP (Via KM266 Chipset)
Graphics Memory 32 MB of DVM
Tower Dimensions 22.25 x 11.25 x 19.875 inches
Power Supply 200 Watts

More about : constant reboot

April 30, 2011 7:27:49 AM

PS I cleared the CMOS and same issue :-(
m
l
April 30, 2011 7:57:49 AM

Boot with XP CD.

When prompted with the first option to repair using console, select same and allow console to load.

Enter this: chkdsk c׃ /f

If hard error is detected run same gain with the /r option.

Your computer returning to boot normally all the time indicates a disk error that prevents Windows from progressing.
m
l
Related resources
April 30, 2011 8:12:37 AM

tigsounds said:
Boot with XP CD.

When prompted with the first option to repair using console, select same and allow console to load.

Enter this: chkdsk c׃ /f

If hard error is detected run same gain with the /r option.

Your computer returning to boot normally all the time indicates a disk error that prevents Windows from progressing.

Hey Tigsounds Thanks for the reply!
As I said in my original post "I popped in my XP disc to attempt a repair and it loaded the drivers from that and as it was ready to boot into XP, BAM! back to that boot up screen!" Maybe that wasn't clear, sorry about that. It loaded the drivers and the next screen should have been the repair or install screen if believe but before it gets to that and right after it loads the drivers it reboots, so it never actually loads to the repair option screen.
m
l
April 30, 2011 8:37:33 AM

That's bad news for sure. Did anybody ever make a 'NTFS4DOS' that included a chkdsk utility? I'll look around.

Can you plug the drive into another computer to run chkdsk on it?

Edit: found ntfs4dos and it's supposed to come with chkdsk
HERE
m
l
April 30, 2011 5:13:01 PM

tigsounds said:
That's bad news for sure. Did anybody ever make a 'NTFS4DOS' that included a chkdsk utility? I'll look around.

Can you plug the drive into another computer to run chkdsk on it?

Edit: found ntfs4dos and it's supposed to come with chkdsk
HERE

Hey Tigsounds thank you for that!! I can absolutely run a chkdsk on that drive on another machine, and will, however, as also stated in my original post, I even tried a different HDD, I suppose they both could have errors, although highly unlikely.
m
l
April 30, 2011 5:28:39 PM

beauknowsdiddly said:
Hey Tigsounds thank you for that!! I can absolutely run a chkdsk on that drive on another machine, and will, however, as also stated in my original post, I even tried a different HDD, I suppose they both could have errors, although highly unlikely.

It just keeps getting worse. I missed the second drive does the same thing (I do the Tom's thing rather late at night or early morning as it is usually). Now I've had a bit of sleep and I've had my coffee and as soon as it kicks in maybe I'll think better.

Right about now I'd be looking at the BIOS under IRQ assignments and make sure none are set to Legacy or fixed but rather AUTO instead. I'll be thinking on this today.

m
l
April 30, 2011 5:39:33 PM

tigsounds said:
It just keeps getting worse. I missed the second drive does the same thing (I do the Tom's thing rather late at night or early morning as it is usually). Now I've had a bit of sleep and I've had my coffee and as soon as it kicks in maybe I'll think better.

Right about now I'd be looking at the BIOS under IRQ assignments and make sure none are set to Legacy or fixed but rather AUTO instead. I'll be thinking on this today.

haha I'm a night owl myself! And my coffee is still brewing :-( I'll check the IRQ assignments in a few, thanks!
m
l
April 30, 2011 6:21:37 PM

Okay I don't actually see any IRQ assignments in the Bios. It's a Phoenix 6.0 Bios with a revision of 3.12
Under Advanced it says

Plug and play OS [yes] tried both yes and no
Reset configuration data [no] tried yes
onboard video [auto [32M]
Primary Video [pci]
ps/2 mouse [auto]
Local bus ide adapter [pci]
usb legacy mode support [auto]
onboard Lan [enabled]

I just don't get it! It's like it just doesn't have enough juice to load windows.

I don't know what else it could be other than the processor! :-(
m
l
May 1, 2011 4:21:42 AM

Got a second drive, so.... download the CD Image file I have at 4Shared.com, burn to CD and re-part and format spare drive.
This problem is a bad one because too many things can cause this behavior. We know it can't be a few things like drivers or USB devices, but others are possible, right down to the video card being a suspect. I'd sectionalize starting with a newly partitioned and formatted drive and pull more hardware after that.

Hitachi has a Drive Fitness Test (as they call it) along with other things
HERE.

The drive setup utility program I store on the web is located HERE

It is named Hitachi but really isn't from them. Choose advanced options and custom partitions when running the program or it will make size determinations on it's own. Sometimes you need to go back over the size setting again before trying to format a giant drive in NTFS.

This program will allow you to manually backup or restore the MBR. After formatting, suggest making MBR backup.
It's bootable or, installable (if you have a running Windows computer).

One more thing... This may not be a cause but look
HERE

m
l
!