Sign in with
Your question

Need help choosing AM3 processor and memory set.

Tags:
  • AMD
  • Processors
  • Memory
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
April 6, 2010 10:56:26 PM

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum; I couldn't decide whether this should be posted in the Homebuilt System or Overclocking section. If I've made a mistake, feel free to move this thread to the appropriate forum.

-------------------------------------------------

I'm looking for an AM3 processor and memory set to accompany a Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P (linked here) which a buddy of mine gave to me after upgrading to an i7 system. I've sold off everything I don't need from my previous setup, and with the money I've saved up so far, I've got about $250 to spend. This budget is only for the processor and memory.

The processor needs to be either a 3 or 4 core processor, preferably a Black Edition, which also has a reasonable chance of hitting 3.8GHz or above. The processor will be cooled by a Swiftech Apogee GTZ (with an AM3 mounting bracket) paired with a '95 Buick heatercore and a cheap ViaAqua 2300+ pump salvaged from the above-mentioned LGA775 system.

After doing some research, I've come up with the following parts:

For the memory, I came up with this Crucial 4GB DDR3 1333 set after looking at the results on this review.

As for the processor, I'm stuck between the C3 Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition and the C2 Phenom II x3 720 Black Edition. From what I've read, both processors perform similarly clock-for-clock in most multi-threaded applications, but the Phenom II 955 has a considerably better overclocking headroom granted it has proper cooling. Still, I'm not entirely sure if this is worth the extra $50.

Keep in mind that I haven't made any final decision on these components. If you have any part suggestion, or just some feedback or advice, feel free to comment :) 

Thanks in advance.

More about : choosing am3 processor memory set

April 7, 2010 12:31:59 AM

Mega_Noggin said:
Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum; I couldn't decide whether this should be posted in the Homebuilt System or Overclocking section. If I've made a mistake, feel free to move this thread to the appropriate forum.

-------------------------------------------------

I'm looking for an AM3 processor and memory set to accompany a Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P (linked here) which a buddy of mine gave to me after upgrading to an i7 system. I've sold off everything I don't need from my previous setup, and with the money I've saved up so far, I've got about $250 to spend. This budget is only for the processor and memory.

The processor needs to be either a 3 or 4 core processor, preferably a Black Edition, which also has a reasonable chance of hitting 3.8GHz or above. The processor will be cooled by a Swiftech Apogee GTZ (with an AM3 mounting bracket) paired with a '95 Buick heatercore and a cheap ViaAqua 2300+ pump salvaged from the above-mentioned LGA775 system.

After doing some research, I've come up with the following parts:

For the memory, I came up with this Crucial 4GB DDR3 1333 set after looking at the results on this review.

As for the processor, I'm stuck between the C3 Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition and the C2 Phenom II x3 720 Black Edition. From what I've read, both processors perform similarly clock-for-clock in most multi-threaded applications, but the Phenom II 955 has a considerably better overclocking headroom granted it has proper cooling. Still, I'm not entirely sure if this is worth the extra $50.

Keep in mind that I haven't made any final decision on these components. If you have any part suggestion, or just some feedback or advice, feel free to comment :) 

Thanks in advance.

Memory looks fine. Get the C3 stepping. No doubt.

If you are ONLY looking at a C2 955 or a C3 955, get the C3 hands down.
April 7, 2010 12:47:17 AM

Go with the C3 stepping 955,you may be able to get to the 4.0 mark with this cpu. I own the 955 C2, 965 C3, and 720 C2. I've been able to get the 965 to 4.3 stable with liquid cooling while the others topped out at 3.9. If you can, look at G-skill rip-jaw series ram this has been the best ram I have used.
Related resources
April 7, 2010 4:45:43 AM

I appreciate all the replies so far. Since there's a 3-0 vote in favor of the Phenom II 955, I think I'll go for it :p 

@OvrClkr
Thanks for pointing out the memory set. The speed and timings are pretty impressive, and it turns out to only be $5 more than the Crucial memory set I linked above. So unless someone finds a better set for the price (or there's a nicely timed shell shocker in the next couple days :lol: ), I'll order that with the Phenom II 955 this weekend.

Again, thanks for all the advice.
!