RAM overclock - necessary for CPU overlock?

l0G0tYP3

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
Today i've had some problems with my overclocking. My RAM clock has reached it's highest clock frequency while my CPU can be overclocked further.

So can I lower the multiple of the RAM without causing any problems?

Do the RAM have to run at a certain speed for a CPU to work properly?

see above

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008

It is possible that you could raise the voltage for the RAM and loosen the timings to get a little more MHz out of the RAM too.

Why don't you list what CPU/Motherboard/RAM you have and list the overclock settings you currently use (like voltage, timings, MHz, FSB, etc...)

tuffluck

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009

i don't think he's asking what you guys are answering. i think he's just saying his rated RAM speed is hit, can he go further?

it depends on what type of RAM you have, but most RAM can be overclocked. if you have 2 cores and your FSB is 400mhz, and your RAM is 800mhz, then you are hitting your stock clock RAM speed. in my case i have my FSB at 425mhz, while the RAM is rated at 800mhz, but now is running at 425mhzx2=850mhz. it runs fine and could go further if i wanted to OC my CPU further.

so, you should be fine. i would just make sure you change the timings on your RAM to whatever they should be (i.e. 5-5-5-15, etc.). a lot of times if you change the clock speed, your BIOS will automatically change their timings, and this will inevitably lead to a BSOD of some type.

if you're really concerned about upping the RAM mhz, take off your case cover and touch the RAM every half hour while you run a stress test like p95. if you can leave your finger on it for 10 seconds, your RAM is fine (assuming you aren't failing stress tests). btw, run the blend test in p95 so it uses your RAM.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008

Ok, so what you posted above is basically equal to my post from before "It is possible that you could raise the voltage for the RAM and loosen the timings to get a little more MHz out of the RAM too."

tuffluck

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009

no it isn't...i don't think he is saying he CAN'T get more mhz out of the RAM, just asking if it's okay to do it. you're assuming he has hit a wall, and i think he just wants to know if it's okay to keep going. i could be wrong though...that's just how i read it.