Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Cases
  • Fan
  • Components
Last response: in Components
February 21, 2009 3:04:26 PM

Hi ,

I want to add 3 more case fan to my pc case . I search a lot but all the measure are messed up, some take the noise measure at 1 foot the other at 1 foot but the deduct value because of the ambient noise. I'M not an engineer so sometimes number get confusing. http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/smilies/pt1...

After my search I want to get your input on those one or if you know better one jut let me know. I will have mesh grill and dust filter over them.

120mm
RPM CFM DBA
Thermaltake Silent Wheel 130cm 1400 54.40 16.00
Scythe GentleTyphoon 120mm 1850 58.30 19.80
Arctic Cooling 120mm PWM fan 1500 56.30 24.50

140mm
Scythe KAZE MARU 1200 61.30 26.58

I have one more questions. Did you think it's a good idea to make an hole on a motherboard tray and to put a fan on the side panel just in front of that hole to blow air directly on the other side of CPU... Do you think it's a good idea or it's not worth it

Thanks for all your input/idea/comments I really appreciate

More about : adding 120mm 140 case fan

a b ) Power supply
February 21, 2009 4:37:28 PM

You should visit silentpcreview.com.
a c 248 ) Power supply
February 21, 2009 9:17:12 PM

jive - What pc case do you have?

The three 120 mm fans you mentioned are all high rpm and they create a lot of noise. The 140mm fan will make a little less noise.

A typical compromise is a 120mm fan at about 19 - 22 dba.

My personal preference is the Scythe S-Flex 1200 rpm fan. Everyone has their own personal preferences. Another factor to consider is good airflow. If you can create a good wind tunnel effect then you could use a lower rpm fan that will generate less noise.

One person's quiet fan is another person's jumbo jet engine.

Related resources
a b ) Power supply
February 21, 2009 11:38:00 PM

Have a look at SilenX fans .

They make a range and rate them for db as well as flow . I cant hear a 21 db fan in ambient noise in my office , but they also have fans rated at 14 db and even less .

I like the idea of pumping cool air at the back of the mb behind the cpu . the board is hot and having air flowing over the back must be a help .
a b ) Power supply
February 22, 2009 5:53:40 AM

Outlander_04 said:
Have a look at SilenX fans .

They make a range and rate them for db as well as flow . I cant hear a 21 db fan in ambient noise in my office , but they also have fans rated at 14 db and even less .

I like the idea of pumping cool air at the back of the mb behind the cpu . the board is hot and having air flowing over the back must be a help .

Silenx specs are grossly exaggerated.
a b ) Power supply
February 22, 2009 7:02:07 AM

theAnimal said:
Silenx specs are grossly exaggerated.

have you seen some test results on them?

what do they exaggerate ? air flow or noise?
February 22, 2009 8:21:24 AM

At the very low noise volumes these fans produce the 'quality' of the sound becomes important, i.e. is it constant, does it rise and fall, what frequency is it at? A lot also depends on the placement of the fan too - the 14db that Outlanders silenx fans claim is based on the fan running in "free air" i.e. without any real pressure drop across the fan - restrict the airflow (as it will be in a pc case) cause some vacuum on the inlet side and the volume will increase just like covering the end of a vacuum cleaner hose makes the vacuum louder - this isn't just silenx either, all manufacturers measure this way.

These things are all subjective - dB's aren't always the best measure - read reviews, ask around on a few more forums.

My personal favourite after messing with a lot of different 'quiet' fans over the years (avoid panaflo's, they are silent - but only 'cause they don't actually push any air) is the noctua series of fans. They have an odd brown/beige colour scheme so may not work aesthetically if you are into led/UV mods but they are very quiet. I have four (3x80mm, 1x120mm) running in a SG01 case about 3 metres away and cannot hear them at all.
February 22, 2009 11:32:35 AM

Thanks everyone for your answer,

So basically I have to look for a set of fan who keep a good airflow and make less noise when it's not free air. I think the y call that pressure something to be able to get air through obstacle because there will be fan grill and dust filter in front of it.

Animal: I look a silent pc before posting, but they are review and I think it's a good thing to ask people who have experience with those fans.

johnny Lucky : the case is my tj-09

outlander_04 : I saw only one nad reveiw on the silenx extrema, the sound of the fan is annoying for someone.

For me, first interest is good air flow and lower noise in that order. for the second question about a hole in the motherboard tray support what do you think .

thanks again
a b ) Power supply
February 22, 2009 3:08:20 PM

Outlander_04 said:
have you seen some test results on them?

what do they exaggerate ? air flow or noise?

Both.
a b ) Power supply
February 22, 2009 3:13:02 PM

jive said:

Animal: I look a silent pc before posting, but they are review and I think it's a good thing to ask people who have experience with those fans.

Not everyone has the same idea of what quiet is.
!