paosup

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
Hi guys, I recently installed a new hard drive, WD 640gb, as secondary storage and it has been running really slow. I'm running on win7 which is installed on my primary disk. I've noticed that when transferring files from my new hard disk, the transferring takes forever (eg. 2gb file takes around an hour to transfer to my primary disk). On the contrary, my primary disk works very well. I also read a couple of threads and tried a couple of tweaks about this issue but none yet has helped. So far, I've made sure of these settings:
1. both disks are on DMA, Ultra DMA Mode 5 (device manager>IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers>ATA channel 0 properties>advanced settings)
2. on BIOS under IDE settings, DMA is set to auto

Am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance

paosup

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
55fihf.jpg

1zqc66t.jpg

Still can't figure this out.

Thanks for your replies

sub mesa

Distinguished
Those are some really weird scores. Check the 'health' tab and look for "UDMA_CRC_ERROR_COUNT" is the RAW_VALUE of this property zero or not? If not, you indeed have cabling errors.

If it is zero, its probably something else. It is kind of weird to see extremely poor read performance throughout your drive, but writes being exactly what they should be.

pbalstar

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
That looks like to me, and i am kinda just geussing, that the "laser" that does the reading is crapping out and the "laser"- (dr evil quotes) in the hd that is doing the writing is fine.