May 8, 2010 11:14:56 AM

Hey all,

First of all, specs:
ASUS P6X58D Premium
Intel i7 930
Samsung 1TB F3 Spinpoint
Corsair Dominators 6GB
Windows 7 64bit
(I think thats all thats relevant. If I'm missing something, let me know)

My current build runs great, but I have a few problems when it comes to data transfer speeds.

Whenever I copy, burn, or write anything to either DVD/USB/HDD, my transfer speeds start out at around 120MB, rapidly drop to around 60MB, and then slowly (but surely) keep dropping. It got to the point where I was trying to move a file and saw the transfer speeds go down to about 4MB.

I've tried the following solutions:
1) Going to the ASUS site and download drivers (interestingly enough, when I tried to update the Intel Matrix Storage Manager, I get an error that my system doesn't meet the minimum requirements?),
2) Going to the ASUS site and download chipset drivers.

Also, its interesting to note that Windows 7 is listing a USB controller that doesn't have drivers installed in Device Manager. Can't find an update that fixed that, either.

Anyone have any idea?
a c 127 G Storage
May 8, 2010 11:55:40 AM

USB drivers should be in your operating system; not anything you install separately.

You complain about transfer speeds; please post a screenshot of HDTune running on your drive.

Probably it just normal interaction as you do not have an SSD as system disk but only one HDD who has to do everything. So while you're burning or doing something else, the HDD has to supply data for both your and the OS background tasks. HDDs are very slow when having to seek; causing lower performance.

Without jumping the gun and advise you an SSD, let's see what score your HDD gets to make sure its running optimal.
m
l
May 8, 2010 7:41:34 PM

sub mesa said:
USB drivers should be in your operating system; not anything you install separately.

You complain about transfer speeds; please post a screenshot of HDTune running on your drive.

Probably it just normal interaction as you do not have an SSD as system disk but only one HDD who has to do everything. So while you're burning or doing something else, the HDD has to supply data for both your and the OS background tasks. HDDs are very slow when having to seek; causing lower performance.

Without jumping the gun and advise you an SSD, let's see what score your HDD gets to make sure its running optimal.

I wasn't sure which exact test you wanted me to post, so here is the first one that pops up when I open HDTune:

Any thoughts?
m
l
Related resources
a c 127 G Storage
May 8, 2010 8:12:44 PM

Nope looks great. Can you explain in more detail what your problem is?

Can you time copies you do with a stopwatch, and calculate the MB/s according to the copied size?
m
l
May 8, 2010 8:42:38 PM

I'll try to explain it better...

Whenever I'm moving/copying a file (to either a 2nd partition on the same HDD, or to a USB drive) the transfer speed STARTS at around 120 MB/s, and slowly drops. It doesn't fluctuate, it just consistently lowers. At one point I was trying to move a couple of gigs, and the transfer speed lowered to around 4MB/s! I thought it may be because of other operations the HDD was taking care of, so I stopped everything else the computer. I ended up just canceling the move.

I'm simply not sure what could be causing it, and what I can to try and fix it. Is buying an SSD really necessary? What did people do before we had SSDs?

Also, if drivers are a Windows thing... What can I do to get it to recognize the USB controller?
m
l
a c 127 G Storage
May 9, 2010 6:24:43 PM

Well it is kind of normal that it drops. In most cases, you start by writing to the buffer. So, the first 200 megabyte or so that you write, will happen at 2 gigabyte per second, or your memory speed. After that, you will 'hit' the drive's REAL speed and the average speeds will drop until they should level off and be consistent.

Were you only transferring large files with 5MB or larger in size? If you transfer alot of small files, that would be much slower than large files. HDDs can do 100MB/s when working with large files, but 1MB/s or even 0.1MB/s can be far too fast for an HDD if it concerns very little files fragmented over the disk. So exactly what you copy matters too.

What did people do before we had SSDs? Well... watch the "loading..." screen alot. ;-)
m
l
December 24, 2010 3:19:10 AM

Post is dead i know. i came across this 1mb transfer speed error and the solution that i found is. The USB external HDD's seem to have a default setting for "quick removal" instead of "performance". Right click the USB hard drive in Computer, Properties, hardware tab, select the USB HDD, click Properties, Policies tab, and select "Better Performance". reset computer. and i imagine you need pagefiles on, prefecting and maybe superfecting. best of luck.
m
l
a c 127 G Storage
December 26, 2010 12:36:14 PM

@Dirtpile: though that can indeed improve performance, it can also cause that simply pulling the data cable could destroy your data and filesystem. Filesystem could be corrupted by using write-back and is not that safe over an USB cable.

Thus if you think the data on the external drive is important, you may want to leave it at 'optimize for quick removal'. If you don't, you should have a really good backup since the external drive could corrupt quite easily.
m
l
!