Updating my GPU's BIOS? Do i need to? How?

white4lfe

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
Hello, so I have hit a wall in trying to overclock my BFG GTX 260 OC 55...I was using MSI AfterBurner and all was well until i noticed i couldn't change my core voltage. I searched around and couldn't really find any specific details on my situation rather than a lot of ATI peeps with similar issues well sort of. This led me to reading that flashing your graphic cards BIOS can help unlock features and possibly fixing my issue at hand. Ive never flashed a gpu bios but i have flashed my motherboards bios but i had some awesome help so i cant take all the credit lol From what i can tell gpu bios flashing is even more uncommon than motherboard flashing and i might be google searching it wrong but all i find is old generic threads that kind of give links that arent from the manufacturer as far as i can tell...do companies supply gpu bios updates or is it some cmd prompt backwards workaround?

My system:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
i5-750
4gb ddr3 ram
gigabyte p55 board
700w psu
BFG GTX 260 OC 55 model 216 core processors

They don't, heck, that's part of the reason they have so many models at various price points. It is difficult to find an "upgrade" BIOS today, there used to be sites where people uploaded and shared the GPU BIOS. Then you have to believe that the BIOS you are downloading is one your GPU can use - otherwise you have an expensive paperweight. I successfully flashed an ATI X850XL several years ago, using a 3.5" floppy; it loads just like your mobo BIOS flash, but shows you are flashing the make/model GPU. I was lucky, it worked and increased the clocks.

white4lfe

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010

yea i found out the sad truth that theres not much i can do if i plan to use my warranty and trade-up with BFG's claw grip of my gpu lol

white4lfe

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010

Well the factory overclock changes the core speed from 572 to 590... which going to do anything noticeable so i have it at... 690/1500/1200. The reason i was asking about the bios was because my card no way of changing its voltage but ive found my happy spot at the speeds i put my card to when gaming :D