nerdbox apprentice

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
Hi folks,
So could anyone tell me if these will all work together:

--ASUS P5Q SE PLUS LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
--Diamond Radeon HD 4850 625MHZ 512MB 1.98GHZ GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDCP HDTV Out Video Card
--G.SKILL F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ PC2-8000 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-1000 CL5-5-5-15 240PIN Dual Channel Memory Kit

I know the card uses GDDR3 memory, does that make it uncompatible with the motherboard or memory sticks? Also, is it problem to run XP with all of this or will I need Vista? Obviously I am new to this so I would appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks so much.

For any ram you are considering, do your own homework.
Go to the ram vendor's web site, and access their configurator.
Corsair, Kingston, Patriot, OCZ and others have them, I imagine G.skil does also.
Their compatibility list is more current than the motherboard vendor's QVL lists which rarely get updated.
Enter your mobo, and get a list of compatible ram sticks.

Core 2 cpu's are not very sensitive to ram speeds.
If you look at real application and game benchmarks(vs. synthetic tests),
you will see negligible difference in performance between the slowest and fastest ram.
Perhaps 1-2%. Not worth it to me.
Don't pay extra for faster ram or better timings unless you are a maximum overclocker.

The ram type that the vga card uses has no relation to the mobo ram; they are completely separate. No concerns there.

Peaks

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
You will be able to run that card on the MoBo you have selected, but crossfire support is limited with the P45 chipset. The RAM will, geofelt said it all really in terms of the RAM.
Tis not a problem running XP. I would get XP Pro (64-bit) if your going to get XP, but why not just get Vista Ultimate (64-Bit), or even business.