Opinion Plz, Thinking of upgrading a fx-60 to i7 920

infernobugz

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
I'm looking at replacing my current gaming system to use the new i7 920 . New system specs are as follows

Proc: Intel i7 920
Ram: 6gb Corsair ddr3 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 1.65V
Mobo: Asus P6T Deluxe X58
PSU: Corsair 1000WHX
GPU: ASUS 4870x2

My current system is (I've had this system for close to three years now)

Proc: AMD FX-60 @ 2.8
Ram: OCZ 2Gb DDR
Mobo: Asus A8N32-SLI
PSU: OCZ 600W
GPU: 7900GTX SLI

I primarily play RTS, FPS and Flight Sims like FSX. I hope that the i7 920 will do wonders for FSX and games like Crysis which I tried playing on my fx-60 but fps were poor.

I am interested if you think that upgrading from a fx-60 is a smart move or should I wait for a couple of months and see what AMD brings out to counter the i7?

Also I would be happy to get a stable 3.6ghz overclock on the i7 920, I assume this would be possible with the proposed mobo and ram?

Thanks

Hey, I'm in the exact same situation. Going from an FX-60 to some quad core. I'm not really considering the i7's because I don't think they are worth it for the cost, but I am very interested in the performance and cost battle that may come up between Intel's non-i7 quads and the Phenom IIs. Still too early to tell though. Since its only the beginning of next year I'm just going to wait (though I am accumulating all of the other parts like case and PS already).

johnyeah

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
Lower timings means the RAM runs at lower latency, meaning it's faster than it's higher latency counterparts (good if you're looking to overclock your CPU). Lower voltage means it should be at the "standard" voltage specified for the RAM. It also means that there's more headroom for the RAM to be overclocked.

1.65V is the maximum allowed with i7. Lower voltage means margin in this case.

Memory and CPU speed aren't really bound together in the same way as boards prior to x58, so overclocking isn't really the issue.

That's why I'm saying either one or the other. You'll do a bit better for yourself either way, and for less money.

eclipset

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
I have the exact same system as the poster and am thinking the exact same thing as the poster. I want to go back to Intel this time around. My COD 4 and other games need to be better.

I have done tons of reading as I am sure you have as well. I found the overclocker guys (not sure the name but they try to achieve the highest overclock) have taken the 965 i7 extreme to 5.5 stable. I hear the architecture might only last a year and that is if they are not impressed with the develpments. From the tests I have read on the 965 i7, they believe the chip & the architecture can really push some excellent marks.

I would like to wait, but the money might have to go something else if I don't settle soon.

I am doing small things like the other posters to prepare. NEW PSU, BFG 280 GTX OC2 - single card- SLI down the road. My Lian Li case will be sufficent and most of my other items are external USB or ESATA. I also have 2 WD raptors 150g I will keep an may do 2 Solid State Hard Drives for the Main OS. I usually run 4 Operating systems for different applications.