Sign in with
Your question

CPU Overheating

Last response: in CPUs
February 21, 2009 9:24:09 PM

Today I was doing some cable management and while doing so I noticed that two ridges sticking out on the sides of my stock intel E8500 heatsink were pressing down on some sort of mobo component (as if it was preventing the heatsink from sitting down all the way), so I removed the heatsink and turned it 90 degrees so that the ridges would not be touching any components.

When I booted up my system normally, I noticed that the temperatures were nearly 100 C. I turned off my computer, and went to the BIOS upon a restart, I loaded the FailSafe settings (even though the CPU wasn't overclocked to begin with) and restarted the computer, only to find that the BIOS still read CPU CPU temperatures that started around 70 C and rocketed up to 96-97 C in under 10 seconds.

I removed the heatsink once more and with rubbing alcohol and coffee filters wiped off any stock thermal compound from the CPU, but left the compound that was on the heatsink. I once again found that the temperatures were high after reconnecting everything.

Next, I wiped all the compound off of both the heatsink and CPU and put some AS5 thermal compound on the CPU properly. I booted up the computer once again and noticed that the temperatures still skyrocketed without change.

When I ignore the high temperatures and proceed to let the computer start up, it eventually shuts itself off, I assume due to this overheating.

My CPU temperatures were fine before my cable management and heatsink rotation today, and my case temperatures are fine at low 30s C...what could be causing these high CPU temperatures?

Processor: E8500 with stock heatsink
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
PSU coolmax modular 700w power supply
case: antec 900

Any help is greatly appreciated =)

More about : cpu overheating

February 21, 2009 11:18:14 PM

It's attached hehe =P
It's just such a weird problem..could there be something wrong with the heatsink itself?
February 22, 2009 12:06:26 AM

I tried reattaching the heatsink again and was only able to push down 3 of the 4 heatsink pins through the motherboard for fear of cracking the board... so i'm beginning to think that its a problem that has to do with how well i've put the heatsink on... Is it worth taking the motherboard out and trying to get all four pins in? It seems very secure already, but would that extra pin make the contact a whole lot better?
!