Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GA-X58A-UD3R need help with 4.0 GHz

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
April 7, 2010 2:37:06 AM


I have a i7 920 D0 w/ a GA-X58A-UD3R and Corsair 1600 3x2GB. I was able to get to 3.8Ghz really easily but I haven't been able to get to 4.0 or 4.2GHz. Temps are fine, typically 62-64C Max under 100% load (Prime95). Once I go to CPU ratio of 20 or 21 the machine will freeze on Prime95 after just a 1-2 seconds, sometimes then followed by a BSOD, so it posts and boots but no 100% load. I figured its the vCore and I've gone up to 1.33125 and still hasn't improved.

Any tips where to go next? Seen comments about lower CPU PPL. Could raise vCore and QPI/VTT more as well.



My stable 3.8Ghz settings are below:

Advanced CPU Features:
CPU Clock Ratio ................................ [19 ]
Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech ................. [Disable]
CPU Cores Enabled .......................... [All]
CPU Multi Threading ..........................[Enable]
CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) ................. [Disable]
C3/C6/C7 State Support ................... [Disable]
CPU Thermal Monitor ........................ [Enable]
CPU EIST Function ............................ [Disable]
Virtualization Technology ................. [Disable]
Bi-Directional PROCHOT .................... [Enable]

Uncore & QPI Features:
QPI Link Speed ..............................[x36] 7.2GHz
Uncore Frequency ..........................[x17] 3400MHz
Isonchronous Frequency ...............[Enable]

Standard Clock Control:
Base Clock (BCLK) Control .................. [Enable]
BCLK Frequency (MHz) .........................[200]
PCI Express Frequency (MHz) ............. [100]
C.I.A.2.................................................. [-]

Advanced Clock Control:
CPU Clock Drive ..............................[800]
PCI Express Clock Drive ................ [900]
CPU Clock Skew ............................ [0]
IOH Clock Skew ............................. [0]

Advanced DRAM Features:
Performance Enhance .......................... [Standard]
Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P) ........... [Disable]
System Memory Multiplier (SPD) ........... [ 8]
DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) ............. [Quick]

Channel A + B + C

Channel A Timing Settings:
##Channel A Standard Timing Control##
CAS Latency Time ..................[8]
tRCD ......................................[8]
tRP ........................................[8]
tRAS ......................................[24]
CR..........................................[2]
B2B........................................[-]


Advanced Voltage Control:
CPU Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping
Load Line Calibration .................... [Standard]
CPU Vcore ......................................[1.275]
QPI/VTT Voltage 1.150v .................[1.295]
CPU PLL 1.800v ..............................[1.80]
PCIE 1.500v ...................................[AUTO]
QPI PLL 1.100v ..............................[AUTO]
IOH Core 1.100v ............................[AUTO]
ICH I/O 1.500v ...............................[AUTO]
ICH Core 1.1v ................................[AUTO]

DRAM
DRAM Voltage 1.500v .............. [1.64]
DRAM Termination 0.750v.......... [AUTO]
Ch-A Data VRef. 0.750v ...........[AUTO]
Ch-B Data VRef. 0.750v ...........[AUTO]
Ch-C Data VRef. 0.750v ...........[AUTO]
Ch-A Address VRef. 0.750v ........[AUTO]
Ch-B Address VRef. 0.750v ........[AUTO]
Ch-C Address VRef. 0.750v ........[AUTO]

More about : x58a ud3r ghz

June 20, 2010 6:08:40 PM

1850790,1,572465 said:
I have a i7 920 D0 w/ a GA-X58A-UD3R and Corsair 1600 3x2GB. I was able to get to 3.8Ghz really easily but I haven't been able to get to 4.0 or 4.2GHz. Temps are fine, typically 62-64C Max under 100% load (Prime95). Once I go to CPU ratio of 20 or 21 the machine will freeze on Prime95 after just a 1-2 seconds, sometimes then followed by a BSOD, so it posts and boots but no 100% load. I figured its the vCore and I've gone up to 1.33125 and still hasn't improved.

Any tips where to go next? Seen comments about lower CPU PPL. Could raise vCore and QPI/VTT more as well.



My stable 3.8Ghz settings are below:

Advanced CPU Features:
CPU Clock Ratio ................................ [19 ]
Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech ................. [Disable]
CPU Cores Enabled .......................... [All]
CPU Multi Threading ..........................[Enable]
CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) ................. [Disable]
C3/C6/C7 State Support ................... [Disable]
CPU Thermal Monitor ........................ [Enable]
CPU EIST Function ............................ [Disable]
Virtualization Technology ................. [Disable]
Bi-Directional PROCHOT .................... [Enable]

Uncore & QPI Features:
QPI Link Speed ..............................[x36] 7.2GHz
Uncore Frequency ..........................[x17] 3400MHz
Isonchronous Frequency ...............[Enable]

Standard Clock Control:
Base Clock (BCLK) Control .................. [Enable]
BCLK Frequency (MHz) .........................[200]
PCI Express Frequency (MHz) ............. [100]
C.I.A.2.................................................. [-]

Advanced Clock Control:
CPU Clock Drive ..............................[800]
PCI Express Clock Drive ................ [900]
CPU Clock Skew ............................ [0]
IOH Clock Skew ............................. [0]

Advanced DRAM Features:
Performance Enhance .......................... [Standard]
Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P) ........... [Disable]
System Memory Multiplier (SPD) ........... [ 8]
DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) ............. [Quick]

Channel A + B + C

Channel A Timing Settings:
##Channel A Standard Timing Control##
CAS Latency Time ..................[8]
tRCD ......................................[8]
tRP ........................................[8]
tRAS ......................................[24]
CR..........................................[2]
B2B........................................[-]


Advanced Voltage Control:
CPU Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping
Load Line Calibration .................... [Standard]
CPU Vcore ......................................[1.275]
QPI/VTT Voltage 1.150v .................[1.295]
CPU PLL 1.800v ..............................[1.80]
PCIE 1.500v ...................................[AUTO]
QPI PLL 1.100v ..............................[AUTO]
IOH Core 1.100v ............................[AUTO]
ICH I/O 1.500v ...............................[AUTO]
ICH Core 1.1v ................................[AUTO]

Did you ever find out the reason??? I am running an i7-930, I can only get up to 3.5 hz with 1.38 on CPU Vcore.
But my load line calib is on level2.
a b K Overclocking
June 20, 2010 6:16:45 PM

If you higher the VTT voltage you will be able to lower the vcore.
Related resources
June 21, 2010 1:53:51 AM

cromedome said:
If you higher the VTT voltage you will be able to lower the vcore.



I tried aboce settings and crash bad.

Somehow my MB will not allow me to go above 160 hz no matter what multiple I set in.
I start with 19x200, 19x180 and only stable at 19x159.
So I am better off at 22x 155 now.

I up the VTT to 1.35, lower Vcore to 1.30.

My builder told me becauase I have RAID setting and it will reduce the performance.
a b K Overclocking
June 21, 2010 1:01:18 PM

mc300 said:
I tried aboce settings and crash bad.

Somehow my MB will not allow me to go above 160 hz no matter what multiple I set in.
I start with 19x200, 19x180 and only stable at 19x159.
So I am better off at 22x 155 now.

I up the VTT to 1.35, lower Vcore to 1.30.

My builder told me becauase I have RAID setting and it will reduce the performance.



IF it is RAID that is limiting your overclock then I would not use it. I doubt that is is the RAID setting but I am not sure because I don't have any experience with RAID.

Disable RAID and start from scratch. If you hit a wall then try raising the VTT voltage. If that doesn't work you may just have a bad chip.
a b K Overclocking
June 21, 2010 1:07:33 PM

@ mc300

1.38 vcore is a bit too much for 3.5ghz and a i7 930. You should lower that and higher VTT voltage just a bit
June 21, 2010 9:44:22 PM

cromedome said:
@ mc300

1.38 vcore is a bit too much for 3.5ghz and a i7 930. You should lower that and higher VTT voltage just a bit



Thanks,
I have lower Vtt down to 1.27 and set Vcore to auto (run at 1.30).
Everything is OK so far.
But everytime I do this, I have to go into Window 7 Startup Repair.
Window 7 is somehow very involve in the bio. That may be a source of issues??
a b K Overclocking
June 21, 2010 10:58:07 PM

I am not sure what is causing the Win7 startup repair but it could have something to do with the RAID setting.

If I were you this is what I would do:

-get system stable
-disable RAID
-format primary hard disk
-install drivers etc. and then run Prime 95 for about 12hrs
!