Very erractic HDTune results - help!

I have recently upgraded my motherboard/cpu/ram; I went from a MSI P7N/Q9450/4GB DDR2 Ballistix to a Gigabyte X58A-UD3R/i7 920/6GB DDR3 Patriot.

I am really not sure if this is related, but after getting this build done, I notice a slight click coming from one of my drives randomly, sometimes it's every few seconds and sometimes every few minutes but it keeps making this faint click. Maybe heads parking or something, I don't know.

These are the drives I have installed (click for HDTune results):
Western Digital WD1001FALS-55J7B0
Western Digital WD5000AAVS-00ZTB0
Western Digital WD10EADS-00L5B1 - see below for comparison screenshot
Samsung HD501LJ
Samsung HD753LJ - see below for comparison screenshot

I'm pretty sure the sound is coming either the AAVS or the EADS drive, possibly both, they are both Green drives.

Side by side HDTune comparisons, screenshots on the left were taken February 2009, screenshots on the right were taken today:
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b134/mupet0000/Screenshots/HDTune_Benchmark_SAMSUNG_HD753LJ.png

I do not have older screenshots for all my drives unfortunately.

I have tried replacing sata cables for all drives and replacing power cables for all drives. Performance wise, I don't feel the hit, movies and music do not stutter, I can play all my games perfectly fine.

Is there any explanation for what is going on with some of my drives?

Thanks!
4 answers Last reply
More about very erractic hdtune results help
  1. you might want to check/change your sata cable with he pin lock ones. i have the same click problem with my WD Black 1TB and it seems the problem is the cable. (freeze my windows, slowdown and the top one, scary click sound etc.etc.)

what is your OS?(i assume vista/W7 from screenshot) are you running on IDE mode or AHCI?

from the looks on the screen shot i assume you migrated from windows xp to vista/w7? if that is the case i have not gone through that yet. but i can suspect that it may because of different chipset (nvidia to intel) that control the harddisk and different operating system (how they cache).
  2. Check SMART data for all your HDDs and look for:
    - UDMA_CRC_ERROR_COUNT; if the raw value for this property is non-zero, you have cabling problems

But, i can't say i see anything really wrong with the drive.
  3. well, mine don't have any error on SMART using CrystalDiskInfo.
    but after i changed the cable, problem solved for me. maybe worth a try.
  4. My OS is Windows 7 x64, it's a clean install. I used to run Vista before this.

My UDMA_CRC_ERROR_COUNT is 0 for all drives consistantly. I'm running in IDE mode.

As I said ctmk, I have replaced my sata cables but I have the same issue.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Storage