Xp pro windows explorer search settings

Wrinklie1

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011
Hi all
I'm trying to sort out numerous issues on a friends machine *without* resorting to a re-install. Mainly to do with the whole family using it for many varied and different purposes, and with **loads** of software installed, which of course have created a number of conflicts - some of which I will no doubt discover even after I've got rid of the obvious ones!

This problem involves Windows Explorer & the search option. When looking for a file on the disk, instead of Windows going off & looking for files on the disk(s), Safari pops up using the search argument you entered & tries to locate it on the internet!

If anyone can point me in the direction of where the settings are stored (probably obscurely somewhere in the registry) with a few suggestions about correcting this, that would be terrific.
TIA

Solution
Right click on start menu>properties>start menu tab>customize>advance>is the search box checked? (Have the upper, "Start Menu" selected, not "Classic Start Menu")

Still no good?...

start > run > cmd
regsvr32 /i C:\Windows\Srchasst\srchui.dll
regsvr32 /i urlmon
regsvr32 jscript
right-click windows/inf/srchasst.inf > install

Still no joy?...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FindExtensions\Static\ShellSearch\0\SearchGUID\UrlNavNew

Should look like Exactly like this:

::{e17d4fc0-5564-11d1-83f2-00a0c90dc849}

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
Safari Browser (I don't know why using it) is registered as the search app. to run.
You will have to find it in registry and remove it, most likely Hkey_Current_User or Hkey_Current_Config. Always backup registry first. Make sure you only delete it where it references Search App.
Personally I would uninstall and remove Safari altogether, no browser is faster than Seamonkey (new Netscape, still Mozilla) or offers better security.

Right click on start menu>properties>start menu tab>customize>advance>is the search box checked? (Have the upper, "Start Menu" selected, not "Classic Start Menu")

Still no good?...

start > run > cmd
regsvr32 /i C:\Windows\Srchasst\srchui.dll
regsvr32 /i urlmon
regsvr32 jscript
right-click windows/inf/srchasst.inf > install

Still no joy?...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FindExtensions\Static\ShellSearch\0\SearchGUID\UrlNavNew

Should look like Exactly like this:

::{e17d4fc0-5564-11d1-83f2-00a0c90dc849}

Solution

Wrinklie1

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011
Hi all, many thanks for the suggestions & in particular the one from Tigsounds. Issue resolved itself having carried some uninstallation of unused software, so something had caused a conflict which was removed.
Still carrying out further cleaning & then need to try & get the DVD drive going properly - I may be back!