Sign in with
Your question

SSD

Last response: in Storage
May 9, 2010 1:52:27 AM

Hello there,

I am going to get SSD really soon. I am looking for at least 128 to 160 gb. Nothing less than that.

Based on reviews, Intel ssds are pretty good. However, Intel lineups are kinda old. Do you think they are still a good buy?

What SSD do you recommend? My mainboard can not support sata 6. I do not have a plan to upgrade motherboard till next year. Can sata 6 ssd give definitive advantage over sata3 interface ssd?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thank you.

More about : ssd

May 9, 2010 2:26:00 AM

I was in the same boat just 3 weeks ago and I went with the 160 GB Intel. The drive is awesome! I updated the firmware from an ISO disc, set the BIOS on my new build to AHCI, and then did a clean Windows 7 installation onto it. It runs flawlessly and fast as lightning.

The only SATA 6 GB SSD I am aware of is the Crucial which seems like a complete train wreck so far. I'd definitely suggest the Intel - in the SSD space, a mature product seems to be a major plus!
m
l
a b å Intel
a c 415 G Storage
May 9, 2010 3:52:18 AM

The Intel drives are still very competitive, especially in terms of random I/O performance which is so important for a boot / application drive.

6Gbit/sec SATA won't give you any performance advantage over 3GBit/sec SATA unless the drive itself is capable of handling data faster than about 300GByte/sec. The Intel drives don't, but there are a few high-end SSDs that do.
m
l
Related resources
May 9, 2010 6:35:24 AM

sminlal said:
The Intel drives are still very competitive, especially in terms of random I/O performance which is so important for a boot / application drive.

6Gbit/sec SATA won't give you any performance advantage over 3GBit/sec SATA unless the drive itself is capable of handling data faster than about 300GByte/sec. The Intel drives don't, but there are a few high-end SSDs that do.

Should i buy now? or wait for another 6 months. if a new product launch is imminent in a few months, i would wait.

Thank you.
m
l
a b å Intel
a c 415 G Storage
May 9, 2010 4:44:59 PM

You'll probably have to wait around 6 months before a new generation of Intel drives is released. It's really up to you as to whether the performance benefits you'll experience in the 6 months are worth whatever potential cost savings you might realized by waiting.
m
l
!