Is this crazy?

redwave3099

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
I have a 4870512 and a 4850 512 in crossfire, was thinking of picking up a sec 4870 512 to cross fire instead of the 4850. Considering how cheap they are atm? You guys think I see a significant difference? or am i just being crazy?

4745454b

Titan
What you have right now is a CF setup of 4850s. The question is, will you see any difference between what you have now and a CF setup of 4870s. To due the latter, you'll need a large monitor, a beefy CPU to feed the GPUs, and a large enough PSU to power everything. How many of these things do you have? If you have a 21" or less LCD, a "weak" CPU, or a smaller PSU, there are other things you need to worry about first.

OmegaStalker

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
I agree lol PSU are sons of ****** they are like women they lie just because they say they are say 700Watts dont mean they are, make sure your 12vAmps are good too, umm i also agree with 475... about the CPU and monitor you'd need like say 24" or bigger to notice a big change... also eventally your CPU, Ram and even the Unsuspious harddrive will hold you back... lol and at the rate comps are moving i predict by the year 2020 the limiting factor will be Ye Old Human... (PSU are meanies, i have problems with my 8800GTX =(, its my fault went for a cheap PSU...)

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Never go for a cheap PSU. The "cheapest" I've gone for in our 3 PC's are the two Antec TP 550's in the second and third. It's important to match the CPU and monitor resolutions. There should be more articles and charts on Crossfire and SLI scaling with different CPU's at different resolutions. Almost all the benchmarks I've seen on the net use very high end CPU's, and people often come back asking why they only get X fps in Crysis at high.

I'm not sure Crossfire is worth it overall because many games still support Crossfire and SLI poorly. If you play titles that do, and the drivers are stable, then go for it. The 3870x2 I bought last February was my first and last Crossfire experience. I'd rather go with the fastest single GPU ATI card until they really get Crossfire support stable across the board.

Nothing worse than spending $450 for a card and getting $199 card performance in half the games you play and the Crossfire boosts aren't that great in the others (yes, it's my CPU LOL). Well, what's worse is a single GPU card matching the dual GPU card for half the price only 6 months later.

If I were the OP, I'd wait and see what comes out in June. New cards are due from ATI then. He might find a single GPU card as good as two 4850's, which is basically what he has right now.

TRENDING THREADS