remotehugger

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
Hi all---glad to be back---i recently purchased a pair of visiontek 5850s--expecting to be able to oc these to near 5870 specs i cant find a program that allows me to go over 775/1125---ive tried msi--ati tools----gpu tool---riva---and nothing lets me go over those settings---ive heard i can flash the bios on these to a 5870 bios but have never done a video card bios flash and looking for any help----ty

Don't even think about it........... You'll end up with a dead card...... if Riva couldn't do it...... I don't think there's another program out there that can..... so don't mess with the BIOS, New cards rarely have bios upgrades from users, it's better not to risk it.... My suggestion...... anyway.... "no Risk, No Gain"...... right???

G

The best I can get my Vistiontek 5850 is 800/1145 I ran Furmark for 3 hours and then I let Heaven Benchmark run all night came back in the morning and it was all good. All I did was follow what was outlined on this site http://tech.icrontic.com/articles/overclocking-the-radeon-hd-5850/ and used the four tools he linked.

Download MSI Afterburner. After install, go into the folder and find the config file. Open in it with notepad and change "allow unofficialoverclock = 0" to a 1. Then you should be able to OC it to whatever you can. My Sapphire cards can get to 875/1200 without voltage.

I've also flashed my cards many times. You can download your cards current BIOS using GPU-Z, and then from techpowerup you can download RBEditor and modify your BIOS. That is what I did. I adjusted the 3D clocks up to 960/1200, and then in the voltage register I changed it from 1.08 to 1.15 which I found to be stable previously in FurMark. I've made BIOSes with all sorts of settings and flashed the cards many times.

Another benefit of Afterburner is that you can set custom fan profiles.

Anyway, I won't "recommend" BIOS flashing as it can be "dangerous" but with general OCs, especially if you don't add voltage, you should be fine.