Computer cuts off power to monitor

gra2006

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Hello,

My computer suddenly seems to cut off the juice to my monitor, then the monitor will display something to the effect of "Power save mode." I tested it by unplugging the cable from the computer and it does the same thing.

The display on the monitor will return upon restarting the computer.

The computer seems to "last" longer when it has been off for a little while. However, if the computer has been on and does said problem, I then restart and it seems to have the problem even quicker.

I did another test by opening it up then turning it on and I did not have the problem until I shut it, then it immediately failed.

Considering these things, I'm thinking that it is saving itself from overheating. How do I fix this?

Thanks in advance.

System specs:
Dell GX280
Pentium 4
2.8 GHz
3 GB RAM
Nvidia Geforce 9600GT

Solution
Confirming that this sounds like a heat or faulty hardware issue. Check temps, check airflow, remove dust bunnies, re-seat cables. Temps over 60C will indicate a problem with cooling. Check that all fans are spinning, including the GPU fan.

If it persists, try running some tests like Furmark, SiSoft Sandra or the like to point out a hardware issue. I had a similar issue be fixed by reinstalling video drivers after a power outage - easy and only takes a few minutes to try (and usually it's an updated version anywho).

LoneWolf_53

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
The message you are getting simply means the monitor has lost it's connection to the graphic card and has nothing to do with power since your monitor gets its power from its own cord plugged into the wall.

When the monitor senses the signal is lost it goes into hibernation to save energy as there's no point in it being on.

Your problem sounds as though it stems from a graphics card issue or as has been mentioned the connection cable. Depending on your monitor make sure the data cable is firmly seated both into the graphics card and at the back of the monitor.

Checking connections should be the first course of action.

Check GPU temps and make sure your GPU fan hasn't expired.

If you're fortunate enough to have a spare kicking around try a different graphics card and see if symptoms persist.

This could very well be an overheating problem! He said it works when the case is open, but blacks out when it's closed again.
As old as that system is, blow out the 7.9 lbs. of dust that have accumulated around its vents and on the video card's heat sink and fan. When it was open, did you notice if the video card fan was running at all?
Also while it is open, check for bulging/leaking capacitors on the mobo; that is another possibility.

Thadius856

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
Confirming that this sounds like a heat or faulty hardware issue. Check temps, check airflow, remove dust bunnies, re-seat cables. Temps over 60C will indicate a problem with cooling. Check that all fans are spinning, including the GPU fan.

If it persists, try running some tests like Furmark, SiSoft Sandra or the like to point out a hardware issue. I had a similar issue be fixed by reinstalling video drivers after a power outage - easy and only takes a few minutes to try (and usually it's an updated version anywho).

Solution

gra2006

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
I have found that the problem is overheating. We had the computer laying flat (on it's side), but we have moved it to make it stand upright and it hasn't had the problem since. Because hot air rises, and the main fan is located at the "top" of the back of the machine, I think the hot air is escaping better than before.

thanks!