Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Water Cooling CPU TEMPS

Last response: in Overclocking
April 7, 2010 9:49:50 PM

I just installed my water cooling rig. I am at 4.2 ghz and getting 45 celcius when idle. Is this normal? Also, I am using a heatercore instead of a radiator. Does it matter which barb I use as the inlet/outlet? Could that be affecting my temps? Maybe I was expecting too much but I thought I was going to have temps in the 20s.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 7, 2010 11:05:39 PM

What are the Prime95 Small FFT and/or OCCT load temps?

List full specs.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 7, 2010 11:07:10 PM

Quote:
Does it matter which barb I use as the inlet/outlet?

Yes! That depends on the block. For example, the GTZ:

Reversing that could lead to bad temps due to the way the water is flowing,etc.

You will NEVER have temps in the mid 20s with an i7 unless you chill the water,etc. Anyways, there is always at least a 5-6 delta T on 99% of the WCing setups.
m
l
Related resources
April 7, 2010 11:13:11 PM

I ran intel burn test and my results on step 5 were
Time (s) Speed (GFlops) Result
24.971 35.7966 3.313965e-002

and my max temp during teh process was 56 C. Did you need more info or is this prog fine?
m
l
April 7, 2010 11:14:18 PM

No I know there is an inlet/outlet on the cpu block. I'm saying on the heatercore. Its a heatercore from a car so there is no labels or instructions. Its the danger den heatercore. I just used the right bard for the outlet and the left barb for the inlet. I have my cpu block configured correctly. And how do I go about chilling my water?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 8, 2010 12:57:04 AM

No, you should be fine with the heater core.

As for the temps, looks good @56C under load @4.2Ghz.
m
l
April 8, 2010 1:45:39 AM

I just realized those were my temps at stock speeds. At 4.2 my temps reached 84 full load. What am I doing wrong? I have the typhoon III res and I'm using the top inlet/outlet. My loop goes res(w/ pump mounted)>rad>cpu>res. I have the pump at the highest setting. Could it be my fans? I am using 2x120mm fans but they aren't 120x34mm they are the skinny 120's and I don't have a fan controller yet to control speeds. You think it could be the fans arent powerful enough to pull the heat?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 8, 2010 2:11:32 AM

Your loop is completely wrong.
It should go:
Res>pump>CPU>rad.
That is probably the biggest problem with this set up. As for fans, what fans? Heater cores need high CFM fans, for example Scythe Ultra KAZE or Scythe Slipstream (the 100+CFM models).
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 8, 2010 2:13:42 AM

yes...84c is way too high! Did you say that you are using a heater core instead of a radiator? as in a car heater core? Yeah, I would say you need a good radiator and a couple of scythe fans. list all your specs...what CPU block, what pump etc,..

A car heater core is aluminum to keep similar metals with the aluminum block & waterpump...but in a watercooled rig for computers the waterblock is copper...so you have to have a copper radiator...dissimilar metals is bad
m
l
April 8, 2010 2:27:48 AM

this heater core is copper and everywhere ive read says heatercores perform the same as/better than a 3x120 radiator.

Danger Den COPPER heatercore
Typhoon iii res w/ MCP655 mounted
7/16" tygon tubing on 1/2 barbs
Swiftech Apogee XT CPU Block
Distilled water
Arctic Silver 5 TIM
m
l
April 8, 2010 2:30:57 AM

I've also read that the order of the loop doesnt matter. The water is hitting the rad first so its getting cooled before it hits the cpu. How would that make my temps increase? The water is the coldest when it hits the cpu.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 8, 2010 9:37:58 PM

japps2 said:
yes...84c is way too high! Did you say that you are using a heater core instead of a radiator? as in a car heater core? Yeah, I would say you need a good radiator and a couple of scythe fans. list all your specs...what CPU block, what pump etc,..

A car heater core is aluminum to keep similar metals with the aluminum block & waterpump...but in a watercooled rig for computers the waterblock is copper...so you have to have a copper radiator...dissimilar metals is bad

1. OP stated it's a brass/copper heater core.
2. I use heater cores and they work more or less like a 220/320 rad ASSUMING correct fans are used.

sam80jr said:
this heater core is copper and everywhere ive read says heatercores perform the same as/better than a 3x120 radiator.

Danger Den COPPER heatercore
Typhoon iii res w/ MCP655 mounted
7/16" tygon tubing on 1/2 barbs
Swiftech Apogee XT CPU Block
Distilled water
Arctic Silver 5 TIM

Specs look fine. Like I said, re-do your loop:
res>pump>CPU>rad>back to res.
April 9, 2010 4:19:20 PM

Best answer selected by sam80jr.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 86 K Overclocking
April 10, 2010 8:27:30 PM

Sam, your fans are way to weak for a heatercore. You need thick loud fans in push/pull. I bet your getting little to no airflow through it.
m
l
!