Sims 2 keeps frezing

The game plays really smooth, but it keeps freezing during gameplay for no
reason. It does this about every 40 minutes or less. Sometimes it freezes
and my monitor shuts off.. It's getting annoying! I have to keep restarting
my computer.
I tried everything, but nothing seems to work. I updated my drivers and
everything,
13 answers Last reply
More about sims frezing

    gdfgf wrote:
    > The game plays really smooth, but it keeps freezing during gameplay
    > for no reason. It does this about every 40 minutes or less.
    Sometimes
    > it freezes and my monitor shuts off.. It's getting annoying! I have
    > to keep restarting my computer.
    > I tried everything, but nothing seems to work. I updated my drivers
    > and everything

    Your computer could be overheating...

    I don't think so. I have a fan in my computer.

    gdfgf <fgdfg@sdfdsf.net> wrote:

    > I don't think so. I have a fan in my computer.
    >
    > "Jeremy Reaban" <jer@connectria.com> wrote in message
    >> gdfgf wrote:
    >>> The game plays really smooth, but it keeps freezing during gameplay
    >>> for no reason. It does this about every 40 minutes or less.
    >> Sometimes
    >>> it freezes and my monitor shuts off.. It's getting annoying! I have
    >>> to keep restarting my computer.
    >>> I tried everything, but nothing seems to work. I updated my drivers
    >>> and everything
    >>
    >> Your computer could be overheating...

    If the moniter is shutting down, it's not a run-of-the-mill error.

    gdfgf wrote:
    > I don't think so. I have a fan in my computer.

    Well yeah, but maybe it's not enough of one. The Sims 2 apparently
    gives video cards something of a workout, and it's fairly common for
    it to cause compuers to overheat.

    My computer has a fan in it too, but I found it to overheat while I
    played the Sims. Which actually caused my computer to reboot, not
    lockup. I solved it by getting a desktop fan and have it blow on the
    computer.

    gdfgf wrote:
    > I don't think so. I have a fan in my computer.

    1) There is no such thing as "no reason" - there is always a reason, even
    if it's not always immediately evident.

    2) "A fan"? You need more than one - I have one intake, one exhaust, one
    on the CPU, one in the PSU, one on the graphics card, one cooling the hard
    drives. If you really only have "a fan" (i.e. one) it's overheating. The
    minimum required (assuming a desktop) is four - one on the CPU, one on the
    PSU one intake and one exhaust - otherwise the hot air is just circulating
    around inside and can't escape - and your system is displaying classic signs
    of overheating. If you've really only "a fan" - then I'm surprised something
    hasn't melted by now!

    3) Don't be so dismissive - especially when it's evident you don't have a
    clue what you're on about!

    on salads.

    Yes, I only have one fan. Maybe that's the problem?

    gdfgf wrote:
    > I don't think so. I have a fan in my computer.

    I have SIX fans on my computer and it once overheated and melted the
    video card.

    --
    --Cuth

    What the hell have you got in there?

    Best
    Maxon

    > gdfgf wrote:
    > > I don't think so. I have a fan in my computer.
    >
    > I have SIX fans on my computer and it once overheated and melted the
    > video card.
    >
    > --
    > --Cuth

    I'm starting to think my video card is broken. My specs are fine. Pentium 4
    2.66Ghz, 512MB, and Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB.

    I heard the Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB breaks easily from the heat.

    Other games like Doom III, Far Cry, and even Worms 3D are doing the same
    thing.

    gdfgf wrote:
    > I'm starting to think my video card is broken. My specs are fine.
    > Pentium 4 2.66Ghz, 512MB, and Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB.
    >
    > I heard the Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB breaks easily from the heat.
    >
    > Other games like Doom III, Far Cry, and even Worms 3D are doing the
    > same thing.

    Let's see... We tell you it's overheating and you conclude it's your
    graphics card... And no, a 9800 Pro does *NOT* "break easily from the
    heat" - your processor is overheating.

    on salads.

    The specks you talk of sound the same has my computer, Packard Bell. And no,
    The Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB does not break easily from over heating! Not even
    when playing Sims 2.

    More over, at the very least, you should have two working fans in your
    computer. One in the power supply and one on the CPU. Both these fans should
    be working or your computer will just keep rebooting.

    In other words, if the fan in your power supply stops working for some
    reason, your computer will shout down all by itself and will take some time
    to cool down before you can fire it up again.

    If the fan on your CPU stops working your computer will just keep rebooting.

    These day's modern computers come fitted with a fan on the video card and a
    small fan on the motherboard. It's important that all these fans are running
    in good order.

    Now, an extra case fan fitted somewhere in the computers case would be
    beneficial to your computer.

    Now, you have taken the left panel off your computer case and looked at all
    these fans and find the are all working correctly! What then? Take a look in
    your Device Manager and make sure the IRQ for your video card is not sharing
    with anther device like your sound card or network card. This problem will
    also course lockups.

    Best Regards.

    Paul.

    > gdfgf wrote:
    > > I'm starting to think my video card is broken. My specs are fine.
    > > Pentium 4 2.66Ghz, 512MB, and Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB.
    > >
    > > I heard the Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB breaks easily from the heat.
    > >
    > > Other games like Doom III, Far Cry, and even Worms 3D are doing the
    > > same thing.
    >
    > Let's see... We tell you it's overheating and you conclude it's your
    > graphics card... And no, a 9800 Pro does *NOT* "break easily from the
    > heat" - your processor is overheating.
    >

    > --
    > Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
    > on salads.

    The 9600Pro comes with a fan on the video card itself - wouldn't the 9800
    have one too? That would make a minimum of 3 fans in a properly laid out
    system.

    MM

    "Paul" <paul.cominscoch@XSblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > The specks you talk of sound the same has my computer, Packard Bell. And
    no,
    > The Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB does not break easily from over heating! Not
    even
    > when playing Sims 2.
    >
    > More over, at the very least, you should have two working fans in your
    > computer. One in the power supply and one on the CPU. Both these fans
    should
    > be working or your computer will just keep rebooting.
    >
    > In other words, if the fan in your power supply stops working for some
    > reason, your computer will shout down all by itself and will take some
    time
    > to cool down before you can fire it up again.
    >
    > If the fan on your CPU stops working your computer will just keep
    rebooting.

    > These day's modern computers come fitted with a fan on the video card and
    > small fan on the motherboard. It's important that all these fans are
    running
    > in good order.
    >
    > Now, an extra case fan fitted somewhere in the computers case would be
    > beneficial to your computer.
    >
    > Now, you have taken the left panel off your computer case and looked at
    all
    > these fans and find the are all working correctly! What then? Take a look
    in
    > your Device Manager and make sure the IRQ for your video card is not
    sharing
    > with anther device like your sound card or network card. This problem will
    > also course lockups.
    >
    > Best Regards.
    >
    > Paul.
    >
    > "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote in message
    > > gdfgf wrote:
    > > > I'm starting to think my video card is broken. My specs are fine.
    > > > Pentium 4 2.66Ghz, 512MB, and Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB.
    > > >
    > > > I heard the Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB breaks easily from the heat.
    > > >
    > > > Other games like Doom III, Far Cry, and even Worms 3D are doing the
    > > > same thing.
    > >
    > > Let's see... We tell you it's overheating and you conclude it's your
    > > graphics card... And no, a 9800 Pro does *NOT* "break easily from the
    > > heat" - your processor is overheating.
    > >

    > > --
    > > Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
    > > on salads.

    Yes it would. But a P4 mother board should have a fan on the motherboard
    too. That makes a total of 4 fans. So I can't see how this users computer
    can get away with only one fan. Older computers only had one fan. And that
    was in the power supply. I have an old Compaq Deskpro I have striped down to
    use as a router using IP Cop as a fire wall. And that has only one fan
    fitted in the power supply. And that's been running none stop for over a
    year now without any problems.

    I forgot to ask, is your computer standing on the floor, on a carpet? The
    power supply and your computer case might be stuffed full of dust and fluff
    from the carpet. That would also be the course of over heating.

    And now I can-not think of anything else that would course your computer to
    keep freezing. And if all the above has not worked I sagest you take it to a
    good reliable computer shop and ask them to look at it for you.

    Best Regards.

    Paul.

Sims Games Video Games