Sims 2 keeps frezing

Last response: in Video Games
January 17, 2005 3:26:43 AM

The game plays really smooth, but it keeps freezing during gameplay for no
reason. It does this about every 40 minutes or less. Sometimes it freezes
and my monitor shuts off.. It's getting annoying! I have to keep restarting
my computer.
I tried everything, but nothing seems to work. I updated my drivers and
everything,

More about : sims frezing

Anonymous
January 17, 2005 3:26:44 AM

gdfgf wrote:
> The game plays really smooth, but it keeps freezing during gameplay
> for no reason. It does this about every 40 minutes or less.
Sometimes
> it freezes and my monitor shuts off.. It's getting annoying! I have
> to keep restarting my computer.
> I tried everything, but nothing seems to work. I updated my drivers
> and everything

Your computer could be overheating...
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 4:36:44 AM

I don't think so. I have a fan in my computer.

"Jeremy Reaban" <jer@connectria.com> wrote in message
> gdfgf wrote:
>> The game plays really smooth, but it keeps freezing during gameplay
>> for no reason. It does this about every 40 minutes or less.
> Sometimes
>> it freezes and my monitor shuts off.. It's getting annoying! I have
>> to keep restarting my computer.
>> I tried everything, but nothing seems to work. I updated my drivers
>> and everything
>
> Your computer could be overheating...

Related resources
January 17, 2005 4:36:45 AM

gdfgf <fgdfg@sdfdsf.net> wrote:

> I don't think so. I have a fan in my computer.
>
> "Jeremy Reaban" <jer@connectria.com> wrote in message
>> gdfgf wrote:
>>> The game plays really smooth, but it keeps freezing during gameplay
>>> for no reason. It does this about every 40 minutes or less.
>> Sometimes
>>> it freezes and my monitor shuts off.. It's getting annoying! I have
>>> to keep restarting my computer.
>>> I tried everything, but nothing seems to work. I updated my drivers
>>> and everything
>>
>> Your computer could be overheating...

If the moniter is shutting down, it's not a run-of-the-mill error.
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 4:36:45 AM

gdfgf wrote:
> I don't think so. I have a fan in my computer.

Well yeah, but maybe it's not enough of one. The Sims 2 apparently
gives video cards something of a workout, and it's fairly common for
it to cause compuers to overheat.

My computer has a fan in it too, but I found it to overheat while I
played the Sims. Which actually caused my computer to reboot, not
lockup. I solved it by getting a desktop fan and have it blow on the
computer.
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 7:34:29 AM

gdfgf wrote:
> I don't think so. I have a fan in my computer.

1) There is no such thing as "no reason" - there is always a reason, even
if it's not always immediately evident.

2) "A fan"? You need more than one - I have one intake, one exhaust, one
on the CPU, one in the PSU, one on the graphics card, one cooling the hard
drives. If you really only have "a fan" (i.e. one) it's overheating. The
minimum required (assuming a desktop) is four - one on the CPU, one on the
PSU one intake and one exhaust - otherwise the hot air is just circulating
around inside and can't escape - and your system is displaying classic signs
of overheating. If you've really only "a fan" - then I'm surprised something
hasn't melted by now!

3) Don't be so dismissive - especially when it's evident you don't have a
clue what you're on about!

on salads.
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 7:00:40 PM

Yes, I only have one fan. Maybe that's the problem?

> gdfgf wrote:
>> I don't think so. I have a fan in my computer.
>

> 1) There is no such thing as "no reason" - there is always a reason,
> even if it's not always immediately evident.
>
> 2) "A fan"? You need more than one - I have one intake, one exhaust,
> one on the CPU, one in the PSU, one on the graphics card, one cooling the
> hard drives. If you really only have "a fan" (i.e. one) it's overheating.
> The minimum required (assuming a desktop) is four - one on the CPU, one on
> the PSU one intake and one exhaust - otherwise the hot air is just
> circulating around inside and can't escape - and your system is displaying
> classic signs of overheating. If you've really only "a fan" - then I'm
> surprised something hasn't melted by now!
>
> 3) Don't be so dismissive - especially when it's evident you don't have
> a clue what you're on about!
>

> --
> Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
> on salads.

Anonymous
January 18, 2005 12:12:52 AM

gdfgf wrote:
> I don't think so. I have a fan in my computer.

I have SIX fans on my computer and it once overheated and melted the
video card.

--
--Cuth
Anonymous

What the hell have you got in there?

Best
Maxon

> gdfgf wrote:
> > I don't think so. I have a fan in my computer.
>
> I have SIX fans on my computer and it once overheated and melted the
> video card.
>
> --
> --Cuth

Anonymous
January 18, 2005 10:31:52 PM

I'm starting to think my video card is broken. My specs are fine. Pentium 4
2.66Ghz, 512MB, and Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB.

I heard the Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB breaks easily from the heat.

Other games like Doom III, Far Cry, and even Worms 3D are doing the same
thing.

> gdfgf wrote:
>> I don't think so. I have a fan in my computer.
>
> I have SIX fans on my computer and it once overheated and melted the video
> card.
>
> --
> --Cuth

Anonymous
January 20, 2005 6:58:30 PM

gdfgf wrote:
> I'm starting to think my video card is broken. My specs are fine.
> Pentium 4 2.66Ghz, 512MB, and Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB.
>
> I heard the Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB breaks easily from the heat.
>
> Other games like Doom III, Far Cry, and even Worms 3D are doing the
> same thing.

Let's see... We tell you it's overheating and you conclude it's your
graphics card... And no, a 9800 Pro does *NOT* "break easily from the
heat" - your processor is overheating.

on salads.
January 20, 2005 10:30:49 PM

The specks you talk of sound the same has my computer, Packard Bell. And no,
The Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB does not break easily from over heating! Not even
when playing Sims 2.

More over, at the very least, you should have two working fans in your
computer. One in the power supply and one on the CPU. Both these fans should
be working or your computer will just keep rebooting.

In other words, if the fan in your power supply stops working for some
reason, your computer will shout down all by itself and will take some time
to cool down before you can fire it up again.

If the fan on your CPU stops working your computer will just keep rebooting.

These day's modern computers come fitted with a fan on the video card and a
small fan on the motherboard. It's important that all these fans are running
in good order.

Now, an extra case fan fitted somewhere in the computers case would be
beneficial to your computer.

Now, you have taken the left panel off your computer case and looked at all
these fans and find the are all working correctly! What then? Take a look in
your Device Manager and make sure the IRQ for your video card is not sharing
with anther device like your sound card or network card. This problem will
also course lockups.

Best Regards.

Paul.

> gdfgf wrote:
> > I'm starting to think my video card is broken. My specs are fine.
> > Pentium 4 2.66Ghz, 512MB, and Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB.
> >
> > I heard the Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB breaks easily from the heat.
> >
> > Other games like Doom III, Far Cry, and even Worms 3D are doing the
> > same thing.
>
> Let's see... We tell you it's overheating and you conclude it's your
> graphics card... And no, a 9800 Pro does *NOT* "break easily from the
> heat" - your processor is overheating.
>

> --
> Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
> on salads.

Anonymous
January 21, 2005 1:09:05 AM

The 9600Pro comes with a fan on the video card itself - wouldn't the 9800
have one too? That would make a minimum of 3 fans in a properly laid out
system.

MM

"Paul" <paul.cominscoch@XSblueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> The specks you talk of sound the same has my computer, Packard Bell. And
no,
> The Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB does not break easily from over heating! Not
even
> when playing Sims 2.
>
> More over, at the very least, you should have two working fans in your
> computer. One in the power supply and one on the CPU. Both these fans
should
> be working or your computer will just keep rebooting.
>
> In other words, if the fan in your power supply stops working for some
> reason, your computer will shout down all by itself and will take some
time
> to cool down before you can fire it up again.
>
> If the fan on your CPU stops working your computer will just keep
rebooting.

> These day's modern computers come fitted with a fan on the video card and
> small fan on the motherboard. It's important that all these fans are
running
> in good order.
>
> Now, an extra case fan fitted somewhere in the computers case would be
> beneficial to your computer.
>
> Now, you have taken the left panel off your computer case and looked at
all
> these fans and find the are all working correctly! What then? Take a look
in
> your Device Manager and make sure the IRQ for your video card is not
sharing
> with anther device like your sound card or network card. This problem will
> also course lockups.
>
> Best Regards.
>
> Paul.
>
> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote in message
> > gdfgf wrote:
> > > I'm starting to think my video card is broken. My specs are fine.
> > > Pentium 4 2.66Ghz, 512MB, and Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB.
> > >
> > > I heard the Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB breaks easily from the heat.
> > >
> > > Other games like Doom III, Far Cry, and even Worms 3D are doing the
> > > same thing.
> >
> > Let's see... We tell you it's overheating and you conclude it's your
> > graphics card... And no, a 9800 Pro does *NOT* "break easily from the
> > heat" - your processor is overheating.
> >

> > --
> > Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
> > on salads.

January 21, 2005 4:46:37 AM

Yes it would. But a P4 mother board should have a fan on the motherboard
too. That makes a total of 4 fans. So I can't see how this users computer
can get away with only one fan. Older computers only had one fan. And that
was in the power supply. I have an old Compaq Deskpro I have striped down to
use as a router using IP Cop as a fire wall. And that has only one fan
fitted in the power supply. And that's been running none stop for over a
year now without any problems.

I forgot to ask, is your computer standing on the floor, on a carpet? The
power supply and your computer case might be stuffed full of dust and fluff
from the carpet. That would also be the course of over heating.

And now I can-not think of anything else that would course your computer to
keep freezing. And if all the above has not worked I sagest you take it to a
good reliable computer shop and ask them to look at it for you.

Best Regards.

Paul.

!