Network card mystery

afrenman

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
Hi
The onboard network card [NIC] will not load the drivers through Device Manager. It goes through the usual process and requests a restart for the changes to take effect, but on restart the card still has the yellow explanation mark[Code 31]. I gave up on the onboard NIC and installed a standard D-link 530Tx and once again repeated the install drivers with the same result. I have disabled other on board devices such as audio to avoid IRQ conflicts and even moved the card around the PC slots, but to no avail. I guess I will need to tweak something in the registry but not sure where and what. Apart from the Network issue the system runs fine.

System Mainboard - MSI 6741
Operating system - XP Home
Onboard NIC - Via Rhine II

Possible contributing factors.
Shortly before this all kicked off, the system was attacked by a Trojan named Hupigon.YNO [Chinese and nasty]
System Restore does not work.

Many thanks for all advice.

Trying to fix it might take longer that reinstalling. Backup your data and seriously consider reinstalling the OS from scratch. Make sure you also install a good anti-virus and perform complete backups on a regular basis.

afrenman

Distinguished
May 9, 2009

Many thanks for your reply. I am trying at this stage to avoid a complete reinstall and hope to resolve the issue by editing the registry.
Once again many thanks for your suggestion.