400+ errors from memtest+ and counting

eonaxes

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2009
CORSAIR XMS2 4GB ddr800
phenom x2 920
foxconn a79a-s
(all new)
I was getting bsod's trying to use my old installation of vista but I was not getting them in safe mode, so I assumed it was a driver issue. So while I'm waiting for my new HD to arrive I run memtest+ v2.11 and as the topic says, I'm getting a ton of errors: 423 at 88% done and currently doing test 8.
6 errors in test 5, about the same in test 6, and then it went crazy in test 7. I dont know if this is an issue but it also reports my ram at ddr933 even though I have everything at stock. My bios is also updated.
I know this might be a dumb question but should I automatically assume my ram is bad? Thanks

eonaxes

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2009
ok now this is SUPER weird:
I split out the ram, first stick gets errors, second stick doesnt... I put the stick that got errors in my other PC and it doesnt get errors!
I am currently typing on the PC that usually gave me BSOD with just the second stick, I usually would have crashed out by now

eonaxes

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2009
its reporting the correct 400mhz speed, I have just the stick in that passed atm but it still said ddr933 in memtest when it passed
my other PC reported the "bad" stick correctly at ~400mhz in memtest

eonaxes

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2009
oh wait I need to check out cpuz again, forgot I have the ram from my other pc in right now. But I'm pretty sure I remember it reporting it correctly. Those two sticks passed memtest after running all night btw.