Sign in with
Your question

Will this VGA Card snap my motherboard?

Last response: in Systems
November 29, 2008 9:13:24 PM

Just recently bought the parts for a new Core i7 920 system including a Lian-Li TYR PC-X500 Case and a PowerColor ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2.

I've noticed this card weighs a LOT.

And the motherboard I've purchased (which is delivered on Monday) is the Asus Rampage II Extreme X58 and it's cost a LOT.

Am I going to end up snapping my PCI-X slot clean off when I install this, or do you think it will take the weight (particulary during transit)?

I noticed some Lian-Li and other cases come with extra supports for long cards such as the X2. But this one doesn't. *gulp*

Any suggestions?
November 29, 2008 9:27:53 PM

It'll be fine as long as you're not knocking your system around like a hockey puck.
November 29, 2008 9:31:51 PM

dirtmountain said:
It'll be fine as long as you're not knocking your system around like a hockey puck.

Did I also mention I have bought a Coolermaster V-8 heatsink for the CPU.. I think those things weight nearly 900g, maybe a lot more.

I guess I might be making sure those screws are in tight!!!
Related resources
November 29, 2008 9:33:57 PM

You should be fine as long as its screwed or locked into the case.
November 29, 2008 9:36:56 PM

They wouldn't be selling the product if its weight alone would damage your motherboard.

Since the video card should be screwed/clipped onto the back of your case (where your VGA/DVI cable connects) that should be supporting a bit of its weight. So your PCI-E slot is not supporting 100% of its weight anyhow.

But as stated above. Don't be tossing your system around like a sack of potatoes. Treat it like it's full of expensive glass vases, and it should be fine. ;) 
!