Will this VGA Card snap my motherboard?

Just recently bought the parts for a new Core i7 920 system including a Lian-Li TYR PC-X500 Case and a PowerColor ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2.

I've noticed this card weighs a LOT.

And the motherboard I've purchased (which is delivered on Monday) is the Asus Rampage II Extreme X58 and it's cost a LOT.

Am I going to end up snapping my PCI-X slot clean off when I install this, or do you think it will take the weight (particulary during transit)?

I noticed some Lian-Li and other cases come with extra supports for long cards such as the X2. But this one doesn't. *gulp*

Any suggestions?
5 answers Last reply
More about will card snap motherboard
  1. It'll be fine as long as you're not knocking your system around like a hockey puck.
  2. dirtmountain said:
    It'll be fine as long as you're not knocking your system around like a hockey puck.

Did I also mention I have bought a Coolermaster V-8 heatsink for the CPU.. I think those things weight nearly 900g, maybe a lot more.

I guess I might be making sure those screws are in tight!!!
  3. You should be fine as long as its screwed or locked into the case.
  4. They wouldn't be selling the product if its weight alone would damage your motherboard.

Since the video card should be screwed/clipped onto the back of your case (where your VGA/DVI cable connects) that should be supporting a bit of its weight. So your PCI-E slot is not supporting 100% of its weight anyhow.

But as stated above. Don't be tossing your system around like a sack of potatoes. Treat it like it's full of expensive glass vases, and it should be fine. ;)
  5. dumb and bad
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Motherboards Lian Li Systems