Unbelieveable Asus motherboard RMA fail

bitrex

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
So I have an M2N-E motherboard in one of my systems, and it gradually became unwilling to boot up until one day it completely stopped POSTing. Power supply and processor checked good in other systems, but the standby power light on the motherboard often wouldn't come on, or would flicker. I asked ASUS for an RMA number, which was no problem, and sent out the motherboard to be repaired. After what seemed like a very short amount of time, I received a status update that the warranty process was complete and that the repaired/replaced motherboard was being sent to me - I received the motherboard neatly wrapped up in a new box last week.

Cut to today when I get the time to reassemble the system. Hmm, this motherboard looks familiar...I thought that in this disposable era manufacturers usually sent displacements. Wait - there's that little blob of thermal grease that it had on it after I pulled out the processor. It's just my old board! I look around for evidence that any repairs were done, any fresh solder joints, new looking components, nothing. With a growing sense of dread I put the bare minimum of components back together to see what happens...the board power light flickers and dies. I use another power supply. Same thing. A spare Athlon processor - same thing. Test the power supplies - they start on their own and all voltages are normal. Maybe the board somehow passed their testing? I don't know, I doubt it, but no documentation of any kind was included.

My best guess is that someone in the RMA deparment just didn't want to deal with it, so just sent me my same old broken motherboard straight back, but took the effort to put it in a different looking box to fool me for a little while, and maybe the shipping department? I plan on giving their RMA department grief tomorrow, but I don't know what kind of satisfaction I'll ever get if I say "Yeah, someone's tried to trick me instead of actually working." I've heard stories about bad RMA departments before, but this is just unreal. Maybe instead of trying to RMA it again and turn this into a running joke I'll just tell them to stuff it, vow to never buy Asus again, and grab a Gigabyte board. :pfff:

bitrex

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
I took the motherboard to be tested at a local computer shop today - they agreed that the motherboard was dead and that there was no way it could have passed any "testing" as Asus claimed. I then spoke with Asus tech support which claimed "The motherboard passed all of our testing here, that's why we sent it back unrepaired." "But I've seen the motherboard fail a bench test with my own eyes at a professional shop." Them: "Well, you're free to ship it back to us, but they'll probably just send it back to you like before." So it's just my word against theirs now.

Unbelievable. I guess it's more cost effective to lie about testing and then stonewall than actually honor a warranty. :pfff:

Wingy

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2009
Well, I'm just about to build my first computer ( Don't worry, you will see the questions, I'm sure.) and I was trying to decide between Asus and Gigabite for the mobo. So the question arises, is this a common practice with Asus? Any other brands I should steer clear of? I could go on but you get the drift. Anyone want to help out the newby?

bitrex

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009

They didn't use any of my components, that's correct. However, I've tested it myself using 2 known good processors, 2 different known good sets of RAM, and 2 different known good video cards in several permutations. Same results every time, no signs of life from the motherboard at all. I've also tested those combinations with an Xclio and a Coolermaster power supply that both test good with a multimeter under load. I think I've done the best I can to eliminate confounding variables.

halcyon

Splendid

Yes it does sound like you've tried to eliminate "confounding" variables. If you patient enough you can send it back to Asus, if you're more like me, just get a different board in the meantime.

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
Just a thought.
When you talk to ASUS see if they have a different repair center that you can send it to.
I just got back a rma from a center in Indiana.
Im not sure though if that is their only place or if it was just because I am close to there.
Also below is the number I used to talk to a real person if you dont already have it.
812-282-2787 opt3, followed by opt3