scryer_360

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Intel 8400 @ 3 gighertz, four gigs of DDR2-800, Radeon 4850, Gigabyte P45 MOBO, 500 Watt Antec Earthwatts PS.

Whenever I start the computer, I get the error message 0x000000116, and ATI KDIAG comes up as if its doing a physical memory dump. Then, as soon as it restarts, the system works fine. For hours on end. But shut it off and wait for an hour or so, and then the problem recurs.

System passed a 13 minute 47 second stress test from Eurosoft. Passed dual boot of Prime 95 for 4 hours before I shut it off (it just blazed through it). MOBO has latest BIOS Revision, graphics card has the latest Drivers.

The only really interesting twist is that it did NOT do this under XP 64 bit. It does under Vista Business 64 bit. I don't know if the problem developed post-installation of Vista or before. Gigabyte and Radeon both say its the power supply, but the Earthwatts 500 has plenty of juice for that build, don't you think? Several PSU calculators got by with less powerful units, and if the unit was giving issues, then wouldn't the added strain of a stress test cause it to malfunction?

Any advice, tips, tricks?

I'm with Shadow on this one, I think it's the driver or a memory issue. Make sure you have the right voltage set in the BIOS for your memory. If your memory is listed as 2.1-2.2v @ 4-4-4-12 settings or something like that, and you have the mobo running them at the stock 1.8v settings, this could be the issue.
Make sure you use Driver Cleaner before you re-install the video drivers. This will make sure that there isn't any old driver files left on the system before the re-installation of the latest drivers. If the driver problem still exists after the Clean and re-install, try using some of the older drivers. Sometimes there are issues with newer (Beta) versions and some of the older drivers are more stable.

Amg

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
agreed there CCC can casue system crashes becasue I had that problem, a nice clean install without nothing else installing at the same time might do the trick.